Darrel Wright's ASL Estate: Help with assessing value

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Comrades,

I helped Anthony F & Jeremy M. with the sad duty of going through Darrell's ASL collection yesterday. We sorted out the rarer items and we are hoping we could get assistance assessing the value of these items.

I contacted the mods in advance of this posting to get approval for posting this and they graciously agreed. Thanks to @Jazz & @Bishop

All counters are punched but not clipped

Time on Target Issue 1
Time on Target Issue 2 (German Rare Vehicles complete, punched)
Time on Target Issue 3 (British Rave Vehicles--only the Ram Kangaroos were present. We could not locate the OP Tanks)
HoB Black SS counters & MMP Black SS counters--these are mixed and will be sold as a set
MMP A Bridge Too Far--Map only
MMP Blood Reef Tarawa--Map only
MMP Blood Reef Tarawa--complete in shrink
ASL Annual 92
ASL Annual 93a
ASL Annual 93b
ASL Journal 9 (Suicide Creek, complete and unpunched)
Bounding Fire Productions Hell on Wheels (first pack they ever did)
Kakazu Ridge--map and Chapter Z
Riley's Road--map and Chapter Z
Edson's Ridge--map and Chapter Z
Primisol Bridge--map and Chapter Z
VotG complete unpunched x2

If we made any errors in the above contents (especially ToT) please let us know.

We found a buyer for the remainder of the set.

No offers accepted until we have a good understanding of the value. All proceeds go to Darrell's Estate per NC Law the proceeds are disbursed to his father. I met him at the funeral and I saw where Darrell got his kindness and class.

Regards,

Doug

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ABtF with the black SS usually sells for around $500.00, best thing I suggest is go to ebay and look at past auctions.

Ganjulama

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ABtF with the black SS usually sells for around $500.00, best thing I suggest is go to ebay and look at past auctions.
There was no box for ABtF and the MMP counters are mixed with the HoB counters. Do you think it would be worth it to separate the counter types and post them for sale separately? It would be a lot of work but I'm willing to do it if separating them would yield a higher price.

So, with ABtF the listing would be counters, scenarios, and map only.

I saw the listing for ABtF complete in shrink for $500+

I did a search for the Time on Target stuff and ToT #1 is listed for $150 and ToT#2 is listed for $295, but are these realistic prices? I can't see them selling for that quickly.

We need to get this done in next 6 weeks. Debating just putting them up for auction with no reserve and seeing where it goes.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ya putting them up for auction with a starting bid of $1.00 will sell pretty well, people who are putting stuff up for high buy out prices are phishing and can wait years for what ever they put up for high prices to sell. I personally have no interest in buying Darrel's Stuff. Just trying to help you find a way to sell it more or less.

Scott

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
The Time on Target with German Rare Vehicles is the #3 not #2. I paid $ 315 to Noble Knight in same condition: complete and punched. Perhaps there are not many people which pays these prices, but I would not sell it for less than 290 / 300 $.
Prices for BRT are 300 / 350 $ in shrinkwrap put to 350; ASL Annual 92 $30; AS Annual '93a $17; ASL Journal 9 in that condition $195; Hell on Wheels... I'd Like to have this one. No idea of the price. Each VotG should sell for no less than $250.
I speak of prices in retailing stores that deal with out of print material. I don't know if for you is more important quickness in selling or getting the best price. In the first case, you should consider offer the games with an bonus of the shipping costs (i.e., for instance, offering VotG for $230, with an estimated cost of shipping of $20 which would be paid by the buyer.
Hope to have been useful.
Best regards,

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
There was no box for ABtF and the MMP counters are mixed with the HoB counters. Do you think it would be worth it to separate the counter types and post them for sale separately? It would be a lot of work but I'm willing to do it if separating them would yield a higher price.

I did a search for the Time on Target stuff and ToT #1 is listed for $150 and ToT#2 is listed for $295, but are these realistic prices? I can't see them selling for that quickly.

We need to get this done in next 6 weeks. Debating just putting them up for auction with no reserve and seeing where it goes.
So if you have the HOB sets separated, those can fetch $150 - $250 each. Separating those could make it lucrative. You have the MMP counters and maps, I would bet Darrel stored the scenario cards and dividers someplace. If not, I have them here and would gladly send you the stuff I have (I play out of an eASLRB where I have them all there) to complete the set. That makes that one worth $300 - $500 on the right day. As is, I would think you could probably get $200 - $300 for the counters mixed like that. The HOB counters in the sets included red berserk guys too so those would have to be located and put into the packs. Might be more than you want to do.

ToT#2 is the one everyone wants and can easily fetch the $295 price from someone who is tired of looking. I paid handsomely for all three. I wouldn't sell any of them for less than $150 (although I might give them away some day). -- jim

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Hell on Wheels... I'd Like to have this one. No idea of the price.
Same for me. I have been looking for this for a long time. Haven't been able to find it. Same goes for the ORIGINAL Soldiers of the Neagus. -- jim

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Comrades,

I helped Anthony F & Jeremy M. with the sad duty of going through Darrell's ASL collection yesterday. We sorted out the rarer items and we are hoping we could get assistance assessing the value of these items.

I contacted the mods in advance of this posting to get approval for posting this and they graciously agreed. Thanks to @Jazz & @Bishop

All counters are punched but not clipped

Time on Target Issue 1
Time on Target Issue 3 (British Rave Vehicles--only the Ram Kangaroos were present. We could not locate the OP Tanks)
HoB Black SS counters & MMP Black SS counters--these are mixed and will be sold as a set
ASL Annual 92
ASL Annual 93a
ASL Annual 93b

If we made any errors in the above contents (especially ToT) please let us know.

We found a buyer for the remainder of the set.

No offers accepted until we have a good understanding of the value. All proceeds go to Darrell's Estate per NC Law the proceeds are disbursed to his father. I met him at the funeral and I saw where Darrell got his kindness and class.

Regards,

Doug
damn good of you to do for his father.

Agree with Scott. To maximize what is going to his father, I'd put them up individually. At least the complete ones, and the more rare ones. Perhaps bundle off the incomplete ones, More work on your part, but such a good cause I'm sure it would be no problem.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

When you did your search on eBay you set your search to SOLD items so you get “executed”prices right?

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Things that are punched got for less and things that might not be complete go for less than that if you are sticking these on eBay. But here are my estimates $ based my experience:

Time on Target Issue 1
(70+)
(70-150)
(Rare but incomplete so 100+ maybe)
(60-100 for each HOB set, 100-300 for abtf counters, add the maps will increase price. My guess is you might get 300 for lot so worth breaking out)
30-50
Same
200-350
ASL Annual 92
10-20
ASL Annual 93a
Same
ASL Annual 93b
Same
100+
40-70
All the above 100+ but Much less if missing scenarios
150-250 each

Good luck and thanks for helping family. Pretty sure my collection will be used for fire starters!

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
Is it just me or do these prices that we are accepting as reasonable seem outrages? Every one of these things is reprintable. I see no reason the owners of the copywrites shouldn't reprint if they could get half that amount for a run?

Ganjulama

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is it just me or do these prices that we are accepting as reasonable seem outrages? Every one of these things is reprintable. I see no reason the owners of the copywrites shouldn't reprint if they could get half that amount for a run?
With the exception of VotG I don't think any of the MMP stuff will ever be re-printed. ToT will never be produced again.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Reasonable and outrageous aren't mutually exclusive. Some of this stuff will never see reprinting again. The problem with re-printing isn't getting half the amount, its getting enough people willing to pay half that amount to make it worth their while to do the print run. And once they do a sizable print run, the market is glutted and the price drops to a more reasonable price until it goes out of print and the cycle begins anew. -- jim

Rooster2k

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Country
llUnited States
How does MMP plan to build it's customer base if it is impossible to start because you can't buy the parts you need? I have heard people complain about piracy and copywrite infringement but that means there is a market. How do they expect to fill that market?

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How does MMP plan to build it's customer base if it is impossible to start because you can't buy the parts you need? I have heard people complain about piracy and copywrite infringement but that means there is a market. How do they expect to fill that market?
I not sure it works on a "market" concept in the conventional business sense...in some ways it does, esp. with a new release...after that as to reprinting it is much more of an art form than a business module. But I not an economist by trade so take this with a grain of salt (Himalayan as its in the sky).