DaE CG Strategic Locations

lt_steiner

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
My opponent and I are playing DaE CG with me as the Germans. We finished the first date and purchased our firsts RG. Both of us decided to go for an attack chit, so going for a dual attack. The British set up first in his new perimeter defined by the hardly earned strategic locations. Two of them were defined by the last position of mobile tanks with valid MA. The German counter-attacked ended and a new Refit phase begins wth sequences from 4.501 to 4.509.

The question is related to the two strategic locations defined by the allied tanks before the German counter attack. These two locations are located outside the 10x10 German attack area. As it is morning, the allied tanks must withdraw from the map and enter in turn 1.
So after the German attack, and during the short refit phase, do the two strategic locations previously defined by the position of the allied tanks remain active? It is not yet another date, but the tanks have withdrawn before the German attack and the refit phase. They are no longer on map and as such do not create strategic locations anymore.
If we apply the rules to the letter, the two strategic locations should disappear but it seems weird as they have not be used at all. This may have huge incidence on defining new isolated areas for example.

Any opinion?

Doofus

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi, I think you are applying the rules correctly - if you want to retain those Strategic Locations you need to consolidate them with infantry. Just my reading of the rules...

TheSQLGuru

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi, I think you are applying the rules correctly - if you want to retain those Strategic Locations you need to consolidate them with infantry. Just my reading of the rules...
1) Per the Definitions section, the only things that define Strategic locations are mobile AFV with functioning MA (that does not also contain an equivalent enemy AFV), Road entry/exit hex on all but south map edge, and Buildings. Thus there is no way you can "consolidate" Strategic Locations with infantry.

2) Since the second CG date is 24 Morning, rule 4.5127 states that the British tanks should remain on the map (this is regardless of who attacks first on a Dual Attack date)

3) The end of rule 4.5171 a) states that on a Dual Attack date, "both sides set up their forces again with Setup Areas (including Escapes) being re-determined first (4.501 - .509)". This means that Melee's aren't resolved, broken units are not rallied and AFVs do not have Shock/Bog resolution before you determine the Setup Area (4.505). This can significantly affect the Strategic Locations on the map!