Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I stand corrected. ?

I'd forgotten about there being some thought given to producing a PaK 42 version of the KwK 42 (Panther gun). Considering that the PaK 40 was quite a handful to move, I think a towed version was considered but quickly dismissed. I have a vague memory of reading that Hitler suggested/preferred a SP version after reading reports of the lighter PaK 40 being lost due to the difficulty of extraction when being overrun.

The PaK 42 designation was eventually used for the KwK 42 when fitted to the Pz IV/70 aka JgPz IV with 7.5cm L/70.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last edited:

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
No I know about that one this is a different beast that I posted it’s the first time I’ve seen this version with the L70 gun tho
George Bradford's book says the SPW 251 was fitted with the (Tiger II) 88mm. No series production.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Vomag 8 LR with 8.8 cm FlaK 18. At least it was originally supposed to carry the Flak 18. While the lower photo is hard to make out, the upper photo shows the barrel to be the three part FlaK 36/37 barrel rather than the one part FlaK 18 barrel. The main differences between the Flak 18, 36 and 37 were the fire direction indicator controls, many other parts were interchangeable. So the upper one is likely to be a re-barrelled FlaK 18.

About 20 built. That one is from the LW 20 Flak Regiment.

There was a similar Büssing-Nag 900L but with squarer rear.

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I had to search for the name Minenräumpanzer III, but knew it was a mine clearing vehicle based on Pz III, uparmoured to Ausf H standard, raised suspension and pushing rollers somewhat like the Soviet PT series, using 10 disks each side.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Praga DT III artillery tractor. Based on the Hetzer drive train and suspension. Developed for Switzerland circa 1950, possibly only 1 built. Note that the drive sproket and idler wheel positions reversed. As it was front engined, it would seem that the normal drive sprocket at the front would be more sensible, obviating the need for a long drive shaft intruding into the crew compartment. Designers???!!!

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
With regard to the 15cm s.I.G. 33/2 (sf) Jagdpanzer 38(t), there was also a recon version of the Hetzer, the Aufklärungspanzer 38 armed with the 7.5 K51 L/24 in a slightly lower open topped superstructure, 1 built. Think of the superstructure of the SdKfz 234/3 replacing the more vertical part of the SIG variant. Proposed alternative armaments were single 2cm Flak 38 or twin 2cm or 12cm mortar.

If you want something strange there was the Skoda SK-13 artillery tractor. It had 6 38(d) wheels per side and powered by twin 112 HP steam engines. 20 tons, 15 km/h, pull capacity 9t and a range of 150 km. 1 built, a 2nd (Sk-23) not completed by war's end.

Status
Not open for further replies.