Da Paul Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Speed something like the SdKfz5/6 unarmoured and the stats for a single 20mm AA gun

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I'd treat it as an unarmoured SdKfz 10/5, but normal size and a h/t MP of about 13 or 14. With more space at the back there is much less need for an ammo trailer. A version with trailer I would give it an MP of 10 or 11. Because of the extra ammo stowage I would not recommend a B(11) for the trailer-less side.

That is not the RSO that appeared in Axis Minor and Finnish colours, it's closer to an SdKfz 11 in capacity but about half way in HP/weight between the SdKfz 10 and 11. The suspension is not as good as either.

The MP is a rough estimate and for that vehicle an ammo trailer is fairly redundant in an ASL scenario time frame.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I'd treat it as an unarmoured SdKfz 10/5, but normal size and a h/t MP of about 13 or 14. With more space at the back there is much less need for an ammo trailer. A version with trailer I would give it an MP of 10 or 11. Because of the extra ammo stowage I would not recommend a B(11) for the trailer-less side.

That is not the RSO that appeared in Axis Minor and Finnish colours, it's closer to an SdKfz 11 in capacity but about half way in HP/weight between the SdKfz 10 and 11. The suspension is not as good as either.

The MP is a rough estimate and for that vehicle an ammo trailer is fairly redundant in an ASL scenario time frame.
The RSO was not directed at this thread , I do know my German vehicles, this comment from me was directed at Alan from another thread about What you find in the photos when you search for a vehicle online. He did not know there were so many variants of RSO THAT was what the comment was about Paul .

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Sorry Olli, my not-RSO was not directed at you, just to anyone who might have thought that it was similar. To be honest I couldn't quite fully understand your "SdKfz5/6" reference, I guessed a typo version of "SdKfz 10/5".

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Sorry Olli, my not-RSO was not directed at you, just to anyone who might have thought that it was similar. To be honest I couldn't quite fully understand your "SdKfz5/6" reference, I guessed a typo version of "SdKfz 10/5".
Sorry Paul was tired after all day gardening, my apology and yes I meant the 10 ?

T34

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Country
llFrance
One thing to remember about ASL and vehicle designations is that there are a somewhat approaching infinite number of field modifications. So there isn't going to be an ASL counter for everything.

The T-34's are an amalgam of whatever turret and chassis were at the repair depot at the time. I think this was basically the same for M4's. The Cullen hedgerow device was a field modification. Tito's partisans were MASTERS of modification, even putting a PaK43 on a Stuart.

If you want a new counter, how about the airborne British minibike...

This is a model, but they do have one at the Museum in Freiburg, Germany.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
One thing to remember about ASL and vehicle designations is that there are a somewhat approaching infinite number of field modifications. So there isn't going to be an ASL counter for everything.

The T-34's are an amalgam of whatever turret and chassis were at the repair depot at the time. I think this was basically the same for M4's. The Cullen hedgerow device was a field modification. Tito's partisans were MASTERS of modification, even putting a PaK43 on a Stuart.

If you want a new counter, how about the airborne British minibike...

This is a model, but they do have one at the Museum in Freiburg, Germany.
There are official counters for the PaK 40 on a Stuart as well as the FlaKVierling on one too.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
AH/MMP did the single FlaK 38 on the M3AA3 (Stuart V), not the quad Flakvierling, though others may have done the quad version. There may have been no single and as few as one quad built.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
That is not the RSO
As noted, it is the suspension of the Maultier, not the RSO. Actual performance stats would vary a bit as they were built on a number of truck chassis - Opel, Ford, etc.

An associate of mine once built one of these himself from a vintage Ford truck and a Universal Carrier chassis.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
AH/MMP did the single FlaK 38 on the M3AA3 (Stuart V), not the quad Flakvierling, though others may have done the quad version. There may have been no single and as few as one quad built.
Ya got me again the quad is from a 1/35 kit I have of it

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Matilda II de-turreted and fitted with a 5cm KwK 38 L/42 (a 50 in ASL terms) and a fabricated shield. It also looks like having a pair of MG-34 as ad hoc AAMG somehow attached to the shield. The Matilda looks like one of the Matilda II (original version) that had the Vickers CMG, captured in France and had it's suspension raised, a British in-field modification done in France.

Fiat 2000, a 1917 chassis completed in 1918. Only 2 produced.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
You might be confusing that with a earlier h/t with a rotating turret armed with a medium length 7.5 cm gun.

That one looks like a prototype based on a cut down SdKfz 251 (Ausf B?) overloaded with a 8.8cm PaK 43 L/71 being demonstrated to the Carpet Chewer in Chief. It looks like it would be a very ... ahem ... lively chassis when fired, I would not want to be the driver!

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Correct on the chassis Paul the original photo this is from stated a 75 L70

Status
Not open for further replies.