Da Paul Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's supposed to be a KhTz-16, but is actually a badly done post war reproduction.
well they call it an STZ-3 here where the photo is located:

https://medium.com/covilian-military-intelligence-group/the-stz-3-soviet-agricultural-tractor-tank-963ec5a7c1d0

but the KhtZ-16 was the official designation. This photo however, being a postwar mockup has armor plating of plywood :)

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
L-R:
PZL-130 Orlik, PZL TS-11 Iryda, M4A1 (early, small hull hatches), IS-2 (early), SU-22 aka SU-17M, T-34 m41/42 cast turret.

Poland.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Whoops, I got one wrong.

What I thought was an early M4A1 is in fact a Canadian built Grizzly I. The main difference was the use of a 17 tooth drive sprocket and all metal Canadian Dry Pin tracks as opposed to the standard 13 tooth sprocket and mainly rubber tracks. That is a rare beast, only 188 made.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Darn, you caught yourself before I could correct you!
To be fair, it's dressed like an M4A1 with the Polish insignia but they never used the Grizzly. It was just they could obtain it.

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi Guys
Love the website on tank encyclopedia
Paul I worry about your counting ;) - sry could not help it - slow log day on PBEM and its work or stir you chaps as options

Rob :)

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Darn, you caught yourself before I could correct you!
To be fair, it's dressed like an M4A1 with the Polish insignia but they never used the Grizzly. It was just they could obtain it.
According to Wiki, Portugal got a bunch, so they might have got one of those. As the Portuguese for a long time had nothing better, they would have been more likely to have not scrapped theirs. Due to the photo angle I was least sure of the SU-17 or SU-22 (the SU-22 being one of the SU-17 export variants) and my knowledge of post war aircraft is quite superficial anyway. So at some stage I said to myself "That's about as close as I am going to get re the SU" and was admiring the whole ensemble when I went "Shit, the tracks and sprocket, Duh!".

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Who knew P.M.W. Irish spook...or maybe that is just cover, and he lives right nearby in Reston after all...I am thinking he is like the "Smoking Man"...

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Giving the context, I can only guess they are the 60cm and 54cm shells for the Karl-Getät 040 and 041 respectively, The 60cm shell is likely from KG 040 Nr. VI "Ziu" used against Warsaw in '44. A number of those shells did not explode when fired and one of those shells was defused and was mined for its HE content and the HE used by the AK (Home Army) in small charges as grenades. I don't know about what I think is the 54cm shell.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Giving the context, I can only guess they are the 60cm and 54cm shells for the Karl-Getät 040 and 041 respectively, The 60cm shell is likely from KG 040 Nr. VI "Ziu" used against Warsaw in '44. A number of those shells did not explode when fired and one of those shells was defused and was mined for its HE content and the HE used by the AK (Home Army) in small charges as grenades. I don't know about what I think is the 54cm shell.
Close! The one on the left is indeed from Karl Gustav. Just out of shot is the case of the fired but unexploded shell they took the HE from.
The right hand one is from Dora (The Exploder).

Status
Not open for further replies.