Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Hungarian early production Toldi I. As far as I can figure out, only the early Toldi I had the hoop aerial. Later Toldi used the more usual pole type aerial. Basically a slightly modified Landsverk L-60.

By the way, lovely crisp photos of such rare vehicles.

Last edited:

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
footsteps +1
de Paul +199 (? can't recall how many you got correct. lol)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
#1 "Type of armoured car used by the expedition under the Duke of Westminster in the campaign against the Senussi tribes in the Lybian Desert Western Egypt."

JR

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
..and its exactly this tidbit of excentric minutia that keeps me reading this thread
I'm afraid it came up before. In it's previous appearance in this thread I only guessed that it was British, possibly WW1-ish, from the early Lee-Enfields sticking out from the side. Others supplied greater detail like where built and its nickname and as that post was only a year or so ago and its unusual and ad-hoc nature made it easy to recall. So credit goes to others, not me.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The interesting one is the SU-101. It's fairly obvious that it is Soviet and that it's a tank destroyer similar to the SU-85 & SU-100. So why did the Soviets build a new-ish model? Per wikipedia

wikipedia said:
While the latter, based on the chassis of the T-34 medium tank, proved satisfactorily in combat, its basic layout with crew compartment in the front and engine in the back was considered a flaw. The lowly mounted gun protruded far from the vehicle's front, which resulted in cumbersome maneuverability in urban or forested areas and could cause problems in undulating terrain, where the vehicle could potentially ram its own muzzle into the ground if not driven carefully. Additionally, the SU-100 was very front heavy, which resulted in excessive stress on the forward road wheels, risking mechanical failure. Should the need for upgrading the vehicle with a bigger and heavier gun arise, all these problems were expected to be massively exacerbated.
JR

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
In addition, the T-34 chassis with its Christie suspension had reached its end of development life. The T-44 with its lower hull and torsion bar suspension was clearly the future. The SU-101 was based on the T-44. The T-44 had its share of teething problems, not unusual for new a chassis, but what killed it was it had no firepower advantage over the T-34/85. The next step was the T-54 with a 100mm gun. The T-54 m1946 was an improvement once the automotive bugs were worked out but the addition of the early hemispherical turret (with some rear overhang) in the T-54 m1949 made the T-54 superior to the T-44 in protection as well. Between the move to rebuilding the civilian economy and the advent of a medium/main tank with the same 100mm gun meant that the SU-101 had become somewhat pointless, so though a good design, it was dropped.

If you want to do a turretless TD then either build it on a lighter and cheaper chassis than your tank or put a bigger gun on the same chassis, don't put the same gun on the same chassis.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Under many names, a 1925 conversion of 40 FT-17 to use a Kégresse suspension. 9 sold to the Yugoslav Army after unsatisfactory use in Morocco. There was also the initial series of NC-2 aka M24/25 of which 10 also ended up in Yugoslav hands which were very similar to the Kégresse conversions but had the rubber tracks and suspension beefed up a bit.

Just to confuse things there was a NC-1 aka M26/27 aka NC-27 with new suspension and steel tracks and further developed via the NC-2 (not the earlier NC-2, duplicated code) aka NC-28 and NC-3 prototypes as the NC-31.

The NC-1 and NC-2 (first usage) were developed in parallel. The NC-1, NC-2 (second usage) and NC-3 eventually led to the Char D1.

Confused over the NC-2 naming? I am.

Last edited:

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Under many names, a 1925 conversion of 40 FT-17 to use a Kégresse suspension. 9 sold to the Yugoslav Army after unsatisfactory use in Morocco. There was also the initial series of NC-2 aka M24/25 of which 10 also ended up in Yugoslav hands which were very similar to the Kégresse conversions but had the rubber tracks and suspension beefed up a bit.

Just to confuse things there was a NC-1 aka M26/27 aka NC-27 with new suspension and steel tracks and further developed via the NC-2 (not the earlier NC-2, duplicated code) aka NC-28 and NC-3 prototypes as the NC-31.

The NC-1 and NC-2 (first usage) were developed in parallel. The NC-1, NC-2 (second usage) and NC-3 eventually led to the Char D1.

Confused over the NC-2 naming? I am.
Is it (any "it" that you mentioned) still equivalent to a FT-17 in game terms?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Is it (any "it" that you mentioned) still equivalent to a FT-17 in game terms?
A bit faster, maybe a red 7 for the pictured Kégresse. The steel tracked versions (NC-1, NC-31) might earn an 8. The Japanese took some of the latter, slightly up engined, armoured and a upgraded version of the SA-18, the Type 11 Infantry gun. BFP produced that version in B&J.

Status
Not open for further replies.