Da Paul Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
"Naval Mine Recovery and Disposal Squad at Work, Tayport Members of the Mine Recovery and Disposal Squad examine a naval mine on the beach at Tayport, Scotland, before its removal with the aid of a Bren gun carrier being operated by Polish troops."

https://www.alamy.com/naval-mine-recovery-and-disposal-squad-at-work-tayport-members-of-the-mine-recovery-and-disposal-squad-examine-a-naval-mine-on-the-beach-at-tayport-scotland-before-its-removal-with-the-aid-of-a-bren-gun-carrier-being-operated-by-polish-troops-image178226385.html

JR
Interesting as Tayport is not far from where I now live and just across the river from where I was born in Dundee.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting as Tayport is not far from where I now live and just across the river from where I was born in Dundee.
I thought it was an interesting pic, not something carriers are typically seen doing :). It would make a way cool ASL counter - and with some interesting Cphtr H notes on things you could do with a naval mine :). I'm liking the "Towed Set DC Bridge Demolition" idea myself.

:D

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Be careful when you are foraging on the Firth for winkles. Don't be greedy and take the really big one.

JR

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Any idea what the Poles were doing there? I know that commando training and amphibious exercises were held in Scotland (and of course the port at Greenock where Canadians tended to arrive in the UK). Was there a training camp nearby? I suppose there was only so much room in the southeast to house formations waiting to go to France.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
My reaction to the Mine one was "Jeeeez" and "Definitely don't do this at home kids.".
View attachment 6438

Not a typical configuration - this one's a prototype
Cruiser Mk III, A13 Mk 1.
View attachment 6439

Where exactly are they stuffing that Carrier?
It's not quite what you think. It's a US built T16 Carrier which had 4 roadwheels per side instead of 3 for Commonwealth built Universal Carriers. From feedback from a previous post 300 were used by the Swiss (among others) and those Swiss ones ended up being sold to Biafra and modified for use against Nigeria.

From my early Airfix modelling days, their LVT-4 model came with a Jeep and the Jeep and their Universal Carrier (separate kit) were the only vehicles that could fit in the LVT-4. Not quite as tight as it seems.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
It's not quite what you think. It's a US built T16 Carrier which had 4 roadwheels per side instead of 3 for Commonwealth built Universal Carriers.
Are you sure it isn't a Windsor carrier? They also had four roadwheels per side.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Are you sure it isn't a Windsor carrier? They also had four roadwheels per side.
The Winsor carrier had both 2 wheel bogie units facing the same way, for both the springs went upwards from front to rear. The T-16 had one of them reversed, the front bogie spring went up from front to rear whilst the rear bogie spring went down front to rear.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The Winsor carrier had both 2 wheel bogie units facing the same way, for both the springs went upwards from front to rear. The T-16 had one of them reversed, the front bogie spring went up from front to rear whilst the rear bogie spring went down front to rear.
The answer then is "yes" you are sure. :) Good ID by the way, well spotted.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
The Marmon-Herrington CTLS-4TA.
Although the U.S. Army used this vehicle in the Aleutian islands fighting, the vehicle in the photo appears to be in a stateside unit.
The CTLS-4TAC to be exact, the -4TAY had the turret on the left.

Looking at the photo I think it is of a model, a very well built and painted one, snapped with a wooded background. Some of the shading around the rivets look "painted".

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The CTLS-4TAC to be exact, the -4TAY had the turret on the left.

Looking at the photo I think it is of a model, a very well built and painted one, snapped with a wooded background. Some of the shading around the rivets look "painted".
You are absolutely right. I've since edited my post.
I still have no idea, based upon the vehicle's markings, as to where or which unit it is assigned.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Any idea what the Poles were doing there? I know that commando training and amphibious exercises were held in Scotland (and of course the port at Greenock where Canadians tended to arrive in the UK). Was there a training camp nearby? I suppose there was only so much room in the southeast to house formations waiting to go to France.
A lot of Polish troops were garrisoned around North East Fife, some were billeted in the Masonic lodge that I am a member of and they burnt a lot of out diaries and ancient history aperwork to keep warm one winter , much to the annoyance of the members back then .

Status
Not open for further replies.