Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
The ancient tome is "Peter Chamberlain & Chris Ellis/Pictorial History of Tanks Of The World 1915-45. A&AP" (Arms & Armour Press), SBN 85368 497 9. It was the first "serious" tank book given to me by my late parents as a birthday (or possibly a Xmas) present and has long since shed it's glossy cover.

Surprisingly for a 1972 book it can still be bought, https://www.amazon.com/Pictorial-History-Tanks-World-1915-45/dp/0853684979

His avatar picture is a true picture of him, but from when he was a child. There is no known current photo of him, and attempts to digitally "age" him (as they do with missing children) have produced images so hideous that anyone who views them has had to spend time in a psych ward. One poor soul has been in care for fifteen years.
OK, OK, I get it, I am ugly:mad:, no need to rub it in!

As for my avatar, the kitten (Halo) on my shoulder is 7 years old now and very much still alive. That photo was taken 22/07/2010 00:19, so unless I have some secret facility to "rebirth" myself, I doubt that is a childhood photograph. As for super computer, my recently purchased laptop is a super computer compared to those that I worked on, but nowadays is merely a somewhat higher end consumer product. The days when men could count to 0 to 21 (and women -1 to 20) only are long gone. :D

What caught my eye was the empty turret MG mount, that first triggered my suspicion of French origin and I then said "Yeah, that's looking like the Renault AMR 33/35 turret". A few months ago in this thread there was an Italian copy of the Daimler "Dingo" which I though was a Daimler, until I noticed its MG mount which led me down the path to the Autoblinda Lince clone.

As well, pre-WW2 French AFV development was a bit weird. Hulls, engine and chassis would be designed by a single company but the turret and armament normally by another company (usually APX). That is why turrets of French tanks look so similar, eg R35 shared the turret with the H35/39, S35 with B1bis, etc. Now the Germans did the same with the Tiger I & II (the Tiger I (H) and (P) used the same Krupp turret, ditto the Tiger II (H) and (P)) and the original Tiger I (H) with a 7.5cm squeeze bore used a turret that was very much like the later Panther turret, but that was not the norm.

Often minor details can trigger memories like a tune or the smell of food wafting from a resturant.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The ancient tome is "Peter Chamberlain & Chris Ellis/Pictorial History of Tanks Of The World 1915-45. A&AP" (Arms & Armour Press), SBN 85368 497 9. It was the first "serious" tank book given to me by my late parents as a birthday (or possibly a Xmas) present and has long since shed it's glossy cover.

Surprisingly for a 1972 book it can still be bought, https://www.amazon.com/Pictorial-History-Tanks-World-1915-45/dp/0853684979

Often minor details can trigger memories like a tune or the smell of food wafting from a resturant.
I too have one of their tomes. "British and Americans Tanks of World War II." The 1975 ed...there was a 1969 run. I have Chamberlain and Doyle (with Jentz tech. ed.) which is very good too. Mine is 3ed. 1999, but first run 1978. I have pull these to try to get my "+1 point" before you, but 9 out of 10 times you are past the post already.

Ok, on another track people... he gave us a clue "....food wafting from a restaurant." The bunker is near a restaurant. Let's get the KHs working this. Given wafting...I am thinking Asian or Indian cuisine. We are closing the net.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
OK, OK, I get it, I am ugly:mad:, no need to rub it in!
I'm on to you! That's not what I meant, and you know it, you sly devil, you.

While modern digital techniques for extrapolating your appearance can only return a gruesome image, that's all part of your clever plan. Your true appearance is overwhelmingly bland, so much so that your neighbours barely register your existence - they assume the cats look after themselves. The local store clerks can't remember serving you. You seldom pay for meals in a restaurant, as by the time you've finished the staff have completely forgotten about you, and you simply saunter out the door with none the wiser. Security cameras struggle to render an image when you enter their view. Motion detectors only register a passing breeze and refuse to activate.

You are so Deep State that most of the Deep State is oblivious to your existence!

I only started noticing you once I began wearing the 3D glasses that came with a box of Rice Krispies. I can read your posts thanks to my Buck Rogers Decoder Ring(tm).

You are in the sweetest of sweet spots. And you are happy.

Yup, I'm on to you.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
It looks like a Krupp Protze, likely the Kfz 70 variant with added armour. What is unusual is that it has 2 Notek blackout lights, normally only 1 on the left fender, likely because the normal 2 headlights are covered by the armour.

The gun, it's a 3.7cm PaK 35/36, with additional shielding.

From the looks of uniforms and the setting, I would guess France '40 or occupation. Tree lined roads and cobbles hint at France.

EDIT: For the record, the Monkey-Harry had me stumped.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
The MA looks like a 3.7 cm flak gun judging by the flash hider and the shape of the gunshield.
I found other photos and it's definitely a PaK, the thing on the end is a muzzle cover to keep dirt out. Bronco has done a model of it.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It looks like a Krupp Protze, likely the Kfz 70 variant with added armour. What is unusual is that it has 2 Notek blackout lights, normally only 1 on the left fender, likely because the normal 2 headlights are covered by the armour.

The gun, it's a 3.7cm PaK 35/36, with additional shielding.

From the looks of uniforms and the setting, I would guess France '40 or occupation. Tree lined roads and cobbles hint at France.

EDIT: For the record, the Monkey-Harry had me stumped.
Thay MH III was used by the Rhodesian Constabulary until 1972, then taken out of service until 1980, when the decolonization revolution ended and Zimbabwe was declared an independent nation. It became a part of 5 of them used by the Zimbabwe police until 1985, when they were deactivated. What amazed me most about the whole set of articles was that Zimbabwe has an armour museum. I had no idea. :)

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
A "Whippet" aka Medium Mark A. Also captured ones used by Germany (Freikorps) and even the USSR

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
upload_2017-11-24_21-25-29.png

This one will be a bit tougher :) What I liked most about the NKL Aerosan was its design incorporated a towing ring on the rear capable of handling 8 ropes, to tow a ski-squad into combat with their LMG. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.