Da Paul Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I recall seeing one of these on display at Camp Pendleton's LVT museum in 1979.
sources say around 50 made, 4 tested with torpedoes loaded in combat trials to a successful launch, 3 still known intact but non-functional- at least from what I can locate via the university and the 3 known museums academic web access for displays.

Certainly looks like a reverse engineered LVT concept to me.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
sources say around 50 made, 4 tested with torpedoes loaded in combat trials to a successful launch, 3 still known intact but non-functional- at least from what I can locate via the university and the 3 known museums academic web access for displays.

Certainly looks like a reverse engineered LVT concept to me.
I assume they were never used operationally?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
It was originally intended to land supplies, with the Type 4 being launched from submarines. It was prompted by the difficulty in supplying Japanese island garrisons with either normal transports or laden destroyers (aka Tokyo Express) due to USN dominance. Later it was hijacked, armed with torpedoes and intended to crawl over coral atolls and attack sheltering USN ships. Previously mentioned in this thread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_4_Ka-Tsu

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I assume they were never used operationally?
There is no reference that they were used operationally, but there is reference to what Paul indicates - a plan of attack on sheltered anchorages like Ulithi and Yap and Davao, all being used in the end of the war as major trans-shipment points for the "Fleet Train". Sub launched and armed with functional torpedoes- targeting big fat supply ships with no armor to speak of. AKEs, AO's, AKO's, etc.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Well since I started this thread way back yonder, here is a challenge, what is it?

abc-123.png

Hint its British...:D

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Well it does have a C in its name for the first one, but it was on a Win 10 O/S. Game is winSPWW2. lol

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Though a very pixilated image, the first I guess to be a Sherman Firefly, either a IC or VC. The position of the gun crutch on the engine deck is what I am mainly going on. Allowing for the bad quality, the cupola also appears to be on the RHS. The "C3" conforms to British squadron & troop radio call sign "numbering". Impossible to guess whether a IC or a VC.

The second looks like a Panther Ausf A with the driver's view port in the glacis plate.

Yeah, this thread has survived and indeed prospered, approaching its 5th birthday (26 August 2013). Looks like you came back just in time.

Last edited:

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Paul has it on the Firefly VC and almost on the Panther it's a Ausf G.

Yes why happy Birthday old thread lol

Status
Not open for further replies.