Reaction score
Country
llVietnam

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, a hint, this is the sole piece of evidence that the CIC found that the 'Blond Talls' aka 'Aliens' were in cahoots with the Nazis. It was subsequently determined that these alien entities were disgusted by Hitler's halitosis (described as being worse than a Canadian woman's afterbirth...), and left our planet and galaxy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterintelligence_Corps

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_aliens
Nordic Aliens - hence I rest my case why Wikipedia is, really, worthless - all things considered. :)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Nordic Aliens - hence I rest my case why Wikipedia is, really, worthless - all things considered. :)
Because they discriminate against other kinds of aliens? They have pages on Energy beings, Grey aliens, Insectoids, Little green men and Reptilians as well. That seems pretty comprehensive.

JR

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
View attachment 4774

A 15 man crew?!?!? Where do you suppose they all rode???

How would you represent that in ASL?
They vehicle does not show sufficient ammo supply/stowage...some I am guessing**** it has a trailer? (some guys lumped in there?) or it had a support vehicle with that helping in the transport role? I am also guessing that the ' 15-crew' was not all crew...rather some could have been security elements, mechanics, etc...supernumaries...that is it did not take 15 men to effectively operate the weapon in its intended role, and therefore the other 8-9-10 guys in ASL don't actually have to be addressed for DFE (i.e. the vehicle operating in its intended role)...

My hack at your questions...

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Not likely.

From what I've read (and as is portrayed in ASL), IJA vehicles had decent mechanical reliability.
I can't find any references to the 20mm machine cannon requiring a 15-man crew.

Japanese en portee firing 20L Gun?
If a gun is bolted to a purpose-built mount, it is not considered "en portee."

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
They vehicle does not show sufficient ammo supply/stowage...some I am guessing**** it has a trailer? (some guys lumped in there?) or it had a support vehicle with that helping in the transport role? I am also guessing that the ' 15-crew' was not all crew...rather some could have been security elements, mechanics, etc...supernumaries...that is it did not take 15 men to effectively operate the weapon in its intended role, and therefore the other 8-9-10 guys in ASL don't actually have to be addressed for DFE (i.e. the vehicle operating in its intended role)...

My hack at your questions...
My guess would be the poster read the information incorrectly, or the source (whatever it was) was bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20_mm_AA_Machine_Cannon_Carrier_Truck

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nomonhan: Japan Against Russia, 1939, Volume 2, Alvin D. Coox
Stanford University Press, 1990.pp 1098-1100. Appendix - "Structure and Order of Battle for Kwangtung Army at Nomanhan, 1939".

The source could be incorrect. Before I pass judgment on whether or not the author's information was incorrect, (especially in references determined to be of sufficient academic rigor to be published by SUP) I prefer to examine similar sources on nearly identical items, as well as his own bibliographical entries.

The half-tracked version of this AA gun is widely referred to with a crew of "15-20 men".

Per:

Johnson, Melvin M., Jr. (1944). Rifles and Machine Guns. William Morrow and Company.

Army technological headquarters "Examination report of type 98 anti-aircraft gun and dummy cartridge" 1940 Japan Center for Asian Historical Record Ref.A03032139400.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_98_20_mm_AA_Half-Track_Vehicle.

http://www3.plala.or.jp/takihome/ko-hi.htm

The crew size cited of "15" seems to jive with the overall source material for the Type 98 AA guns in WW2 in the CBI theater. Their only serious action of note was at Nomonhan and Khalkin Gol. With an often cited cyclical ROF of 300 rounds per minute, of either API or HE with self-destruct fuzing at low altitude - I might agree that many of the "crew" are simply serving as ammunition bearers - to keep the AA guns firing as the main source of AA fire for the Kwantung Army's "Mobile Force".
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would highly agree that without a dedicated ammunition transport vehicle (which could carry ammo stevedores), such a creature in ASL would be a 20L 360 mount unarmored truck with inherent crew, a ROF of 2 and a circled B9 or B10 without the ammo vehicle present. Ammo vehicle might be represented as a truck with an ammo counter and an inherent 3-3-6 squad on board to represent the bearers. (Doubtful that any soldier of quality or adequate training would be relegated to such a menial task in the IJA - likely conscripted laborers under the watchful eyes of the SPAA Gun crew.

As always with ASL related minutae- YMMV

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Per:

Johnson, Melvin M., Jr. (1944). Rifles and Machine Guns. William Morrow and Company.
Would this be the same Melvin Johnson, USMC(R) (Colonel?) that designed the Johnson rifle? I passed on an opportunity to purchase a Johnson rifle about 20 years ago...one of my biggest regrets.

Semper Fi!
Scott

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Would this be the same Melvin Johnson, USMC(R) (Colonel?) that designed the Johnson rifle? I passed on an opportunity to purchase a Johnson rifle about 20 years ago...one of my biggest regrets.

Semper Fi!
Scott
Looks like it might be one and the same. then Maj Johnson - USMCR 1943, was seconded to the US Army Ordnance Depot for the duration, and co-authored several known works on small arms of the time period, including lesser known designs with interesting features. (Some of which were incorporated into a few of his designs.)

Definitively, I would have to defer to others with a much better knowledge of ww2 and post ww2 small arms designers, to ensure it was not a case of (Sr/Jr) or father and son , or two of the same name. The book does not include a larger introduction of the author, only of the materials therein (rare design firearms) - and yes, the Johnson Rifle and LMG are both in this book.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Ho -k armored forest clearing vehicle, based on the type 97 tank chassis.
It is one of the most aptly named AFVs I have ever seen a bit Ho-key :) 12 sent to New Guinea and used around Lae and Salamua. 2 landed with the 4 Ha-Go tanks at Milne Bay in late 1942, making up the AFV detachment sent along for that assault - during the abortive end run amphib landing by the IJA there. It is the one place I can find outside Manchuria 1945, that they entered into combat action with Allied forces. The ones at Lae and Salamua were captured and never used vs Allied forces during any of the fighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.