Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
That surprised me. From what I have read 50 were issued, 25 each to GD and 3rd Pz, with 7 and 6 later replacements respectively. Another 2 might have gone to GD's training units and another 2 were done with the 7.5cm StuK 37 (75*) in a fixed mount. That amounts to 65 and I read that only 70 maximum old Pz 38(t) chassis were prepared.

That 20% of the total production of such a rare and for that late war time a very fragile machine should have survived the war in sufficient condition to be repaired/refurbished is quite amazing, never mind found their way into IDF service.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
this one is actually the mortar carrier - the main difference I can see in the photographic evidence is the dual hinged mid superstructure hatch, and the fixed awning angled cover.
On the model there are 3 openings. The front opening has a split dual leaf hatch for the driver. The two rear openings, with single and split hatches, are into the engine compartment. The triangular side cross section wedge is supposed to represent a frame and canvas cover. That awning covers most of the accessible crew area. If there was to be a difference it would be under the wedge.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
IDF. Israel used a detachment of them in its invasion of Lebanon in 1982 - 14 operational AFVs to be exact. By the time it was over, 11 were still running. Rather amazing that these things were so well built that they could run for thousands of miles - always highly complemented by their crews for ease of maintenance and reliability of machinery.

They were phased out as things heated up in southern Syria by early 1983, and the IDF armored units were now regularly engaging ex-Soviet T-55s and T-64s, totally outclassing the diminuitive Czech tank, whose main value was as a recon unit.
Amazing! I never would have guessed. I hope I can find some photos of this vehicle in action with the IDF.
I really like the look of the Swedish IFV variant, IMO the most aesthetically appealing of all the 38t series.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's a smokescreen. Show us the real pictures!

View attachment 3638

JR
with apparent provisions for carrying Chlorine , Phosgene and Mustard tanks. First time I have ever heard of Polish Chem weapons in 1939. Have you ever come across references that they (a) had them in quantity, and/or (b) ever contemplated using them? did post-1919 Poland sign the accords banning chemical warfare weapons in European conflicts?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
An R-35, some 30 rearmed by the Romanians with Soviet 45mm 20K m1938 tank guns from Soviet BT and T-26 tanks. Due to the small turret the CMG was dropped. Called the Vânătorul de care R35, it was intended to fulfil the role of TD rather than tank.

The photo is of one at Znojmo Railway, 1945 and carries a red star on a white circle adopted by the Romanians to avoid Soviet "friendly fire" after switching sides. Included in AoO.

See: https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2017/01/20/unique-romanian-armor-part-i-vanatorul-de-care-r35/

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Romanian vehicle note 2, I presume?

2. R-35-45(f): In late December 1942, the Romanian Army began rearming its remaining French-built R-35s (see Common Vehicle $l(Note 32) with the 45mm gun found in captured Soviet BT-7 and T-26 tanks. Unfortunately, the 45mm rounds took up much more space than the 37mm shells did and far fewer of them could be carried. Combined with the larger gun, this required the removal of the CMG. By June 1944 all 30 upgrades were completed and these tank destroyers-re-designated Vanatorul de Care R-35 (Transformat)-were assigned to the 2nd Armored Regiment. It is probable that two R-35 squadrons serving in the 3rd Army in August 1944 were equipped with the VDC R-35 Transformat tank destroyer. In February 1945 two companies of tank destroyers and the remaining unreconstructed R-35s formed part of the 2nd Armored Regiment during its campaign in Czechoslovakia and Austria. By the end of the war not a single VDC R-35 Transformat remained serviceable.

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Romanian vehicle note 2, I presume?
Yes indeed, both 2nd Romanian and Axis Minor Vehicle. I should have added that in. I unconsciously assumed everyone here knows their Chapter H stuff and just needed a name to link the counter and the photo. But I forgotten that so many might not have AoO and that end of Chapter H is less likely to have been needed to be dug out prior to a scenario. The recently announced intention to reprint AoO and the posts of joy or relief should have alerted me. Apologies.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
No apologies needed.
Your information was complementary to the rulebook's.
I was asking if there was a link between both, because I am a Boeotian when it comes to military hardware.
So thanks for all your excellent contributions in that domain ! I learn a lot reading you !

Status
Not open for further replies.