Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
It is also covered in the CH Russian rare vehicles pack. Counters included.
By that stage CH's practices had lost a formerly loyal customer. Nothing like a reformed sinner!

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
View attachment 3620

interesting use for an obsolete AFV.
I almost forgot that one, a Artillerie Schlepper 35(t), a de-turreted Pz 35(t) used as an artillery tractor/ammunition carrier. I'm not clear, but some of those might have carried a mortar under the name Mörser Zugmittel 35(t), but I very much doubt it as the term Mörser referred to a high angle heavy howitzer (eg. 21 cm Mörser 18) rather than a mortar (Granatwerfer, literally grenade thrower).

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'm not clear, but some of those might have carried a mortar under the name Mörser Zugmittel 35(t), but I very much doubt it as the term Mörser referred to a high angle heavy howitzer (eg. 21 cm Mörser 18) rather than a mortar (Granatwerfer, literally grenade thrower).
Without having further investigated this, I believe you are correct that it did not carry a mortar. The term 'Zugmittel' while not used novadays would more be translated akin to 'tractor' or 'prime mover'.

von Marwitz

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I almost forgot that one, a Artillerie Schlepper 35(t), a de-turreted Pz 35(t) used as an artillery tractor/ammunition carrier. I'm not clear, but some of those might have carried a mortar under the name Mörser Zugmittel 35(t), but I very much doubt it as the term Mörser referred to a high angle heavy howitzer (eg. 21 cm Mörser 18) rather than a mortar (Granatwerfer, literally grenade thrower).
this one is actually the mortar carrier - the main difference I can see in the photographic evidence is the dual hinged mid superstructure hatch, and the fixed awning angled cover.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Without having further investigated this, I believe you are correct that it did not carry a mortar. The term 'Zugmittel' while not used novadays would more be translated akin to 'tractor' or 'prime mover'.

von Marwitz
The reference I found on this diddy said it was a mortar carrier, not a mortar SPA akin to the 81s mounted to fire from the rear of a HT. Hence, likely this thing was designed to "schlepp" the mortar into combat, not act as an ad hoc SPA like the half-track combos.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm guessing Peru?
IDF. Israel used a detachment of them in its invasion of Lebanon in 1982 - 14 operational AFVs to be exact. By the time it was over, 11 were still running. Rather amazing that these things were so well built that they could run for thousands of miles - always highly complemented by their crews for ease of maintenance and reliability of machinery.

They were phased out as things heated up in southern Syria by early 1983, and the IDF armored units were now regularly engaging ex-Soviet T-55s and T-64s, totally outclassing the diminuitive Czech tank, whose main value was as a recon unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.