Da Paul Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Comes as a accessory in the Surfing Pack for Malibu Horst.

JR

Last edited:

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My question is not "what are these?", but rather "are they NT or ST?" They are both OT.

P204f L42.png P204f L60.png

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My question is not "what are these?", but rather "are they NT or ST?" They are both OT.

View attachment 3431 View attachment 3432
pre-war and wartime Panhards should all be 1MT unless they are equipped with the rare AMX 3 turret, in which case, they should be ST. - a hydraulic hand pump or manual pressure rotated the AMX 3 turret basket.

Post war Panhards should be ST two man turrets- even though the loader / radio operator sat below the gun in the chassis, he was still within the confines of the turret basket. The turrets rotated hydraulic or manual hand pump/crank only on post war models.

The 50mm OT model modified by Germans was a 2MT - non rotational ( I think) - so it would then be a NT.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
View attachment 3430

Non-standard equipment here, a real beast :D
That's a Pz II with a toddler's rubber floatation ring! "Panzerkampfwagen II mit Schwimmkörper" A quick look at the photo points to a early variant Ausf c, A, B or C without the up-armour package. Intended for Operation Sealion. Unlike the Pz III and IV "drowning" tanks, these could float.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
pre-war and wartime Panhards should all be 1MT unless they are equipped with the rare AMX 3 turret, in which case, they should be ST. - a hydraulic hand pump or manual pressure rotated the AMX 3 turret basket.

Post war Panhards should be ST two man turrets- even though the loader / radio operator sat below the gun in the chassis, he was still within the confines of the turret basket. The turrets rotated hydraulic or manual hand pump/crank only on post war models.

The 50mm OT model modified by Germans was a 2MT - non rotational ( I think) - so it would then be a NT.
While the production of the APX3 turret lagged behind hulls (~50 hulls vs ~40 turrets per month at peak production), the vast majority by war start had the APX3B (2MT) electrically traversed. 1 in 12 was supposed to have a fixed turret and dummy gun with extra radios. There were 8 of a "colonial" version built with the APX5 (1MT) turret which was shared with the AMR 35's ZT2 tank destroyer variant. Apart from the German 5cm conversion and the post war 178B, all photos I have seen, both in French and German service have the AMX3 turret. The single emergency build with the 47mm SA 35 in '40 only had manual traverse. So keep the 178 as is in ASL.

I found https://books.google.ie/books?id=YlQxDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT50&lpg=PT50&dq=apx3+turret&source=bl&ots=BX1R82mR7e&sig=DYTATyU6mLZmp_oQ8f1SEyWtQKI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiO6-KwyODXAhWGBcAKHX_FCWcQ6AEIRjAH#v=onepage&q=apx3 turret&f=false, which seems to be the origin of the Wiki article, but with more photos and the APX3 turret totally dominating those photos.

Last edited:

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's a Pz II with a toddler's rubber floatation ring! "Panzerkampfwagen II mit Schwimmkörper" A quick look at the photo points to a early variant Ausf c, A, B or C without the up-armour package. Intended for Operation Sealion. Unlike the Pz III and IV "drowning" tanks, these could float.
not quite a schwimmkorper. same principle, different means, not a drop away set of sealed pontoons here.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've got an idea what this is but unsure so I can't verify the nomenclature. However, I would like to know.AC.jpg

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
once Paul decides what I've created for him , hahaha :D
Unfortunately I can't find the book which covered that.

So from 20+ years ago memory. In the early to mid '30s the Germans tried out an armed recon H/T. I think there were 2 models, likely from different manufacturers. Both were quite similar and armed with a 7.5cm L/40.5 (or L/40 or L/41). Only something like a pair of each manufactured, definitely less than a dozen in all. They decided to go with MG and 2cm cannon armed AC instead. The only service was with the DAK.

OK, found it http://www.achtungpanzer.com/75cm-selbstfahrlafette-l408.htm and it's a 7.5cm L/40.8 and both versions were from the same manufacturer.

Just as interesting looking is http://www.achtungpanzer.com/37cm-selbstfahrlafette-l70.htm

Happy now?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Not quite. ;)

I need guidance on MP, AF, GP, size, CS, T/ST/RST/NT etc etc etc. Your opinion carries weight.
Then you're really f-ed! Even the book entry (which I still have not found, not even figured which book), didn't have all that much.

OK, here are some guesses. Something about the weight and armour of a SdKfz 251 and judging from the size in comparison with the crew in the photo a small target. So I would guess about the same MP, GP, size and AF. The turret was OT and I very much doubt power traverse, so with a beefy 7.5cm I would guess ST. Unlike many ST in ASL which get ST due to having a 2MT in a cramped turret, there seemed to be a fair bit of space so I would keep the RoF at [1], IE more akin to a Panther than a Crusader III in terms of reasoning. The MA is of early-mid '30s but long so a 75, no PaK 40 but I would guess more in the league of the 7.5cm FK 16 nA/FK 18/FK 38. It also looks to have plenty of space at the back so I would doubt any low ammo. Given it's standard 7.5cm calibre smoke rounds would be possible, though whether as an AT weapon it would have been issued any is another matter.

I had a vague niggling memory of a bit extra armour than a SdKfz 251 at the front, but was reluctant to mention until seeing the above site said armour 20mm-8mm. That also said 6 tonne weight vs 7.8 for a 251, which I find just a little surprising. By the time you load ammo it might come into 251 territory. No reason to suspect a much worse engine.

MP: 16 H/T, GP normal, size +1, AF 2 f, 1 s/r, ST, MA 75 RoF [1], OT, CS4, s6 (??), (RF 1.6, NA only).

As for the other one, the 3.7cm L/70, it appears to be much higher with a CT turret. I bet the gun is a variant of the 3.7 FlaK 18. It has a CMG and a rail/ring mounted AAMG, but the CMG is not linked to the MA, a bit like the Soviet T-28 CMG. Actually, I'm not sure whether the turret was OT or CT, but I think CT.

MP: 16 H/T, GP normal, size 0, AF 2 f, 1 s/r, ST, MA 37L RoF [2] IFE (8), CMG 3, AAMG 2, CT (??), CS4, MA (but not CMG) AA capable (RF 1.7 ;)).

Be warned, all the above is very much chancing my arm.

Last edited:

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Then you're really f-ed! Even the book entry (which I still have not found, not even figured which book), didn't have all that much.

OK, here are some guesses. Something about the weight and armour of a SdKfz 251 and judging from the size in comparison with the crew in the photo a small target. So I would guess about the same MP, GP, size and AF. The turret was OT and I very much doubt power traverse, so with a beefy 7.5cm I would guess ST. Unlike many ST in ASL which get ST due to having a 2MT in a cramped turret, there seemed to be a fair bit of space so I would keep the RoF at [1], IE more akin to a Panther than a Crusader III in terms of reasoning. The MA is of early-mid '30s but long so a 75, no PaK 40 but I would guess more in the league of the 7.5cm FK 16 nA/FK 18/FK 38. It also looks to have plenty of space at the back so I would doubt any low ammo. Given it's standard 7.5cm calibre smoke rounds would be possible, though whether as an AT weapon it would have been issued any is another matter.

I had a vague niggling memory of a bit extra armour than a SdKfz 251 at the front, but was reluctant to mention until seeing the above site said armour 20mm-8mm. That also said 6 tonne weight vs 7.8 for a 251, which I find just a little surprising. By the time you load ammo it might come into 251 territory. No reason to suspect a much worse engine.

MP: 16 H/T, GP normal, size +1, AF 2 f, 1 s/r, ST, MA 75 RoF [1], OT, CS4, s6 (??), (RF 1.6, NA only).

As for the other one, the 3.7cm L/70, it appears to be much higher with a CT turret. I bet the gun is a variant of the 3.7 FlaK 18. It has a CMG and a rail/ring mounted AAMG, but the CMG is not linked to the MA, a bit like the Soviet T-28 CMG. Actually, I'm not sure whether the turret was OT or CT, but I think CT.

MP: 16 H/T, GP normal, size 0, AF 2 f, 1 s/r, ST, MA 37L RoF [2] IFE (8), CMG 3, AAMG 2, CT, CS4, MA (but not CMG) AA capable (RF 1.7 ;)).

Be warned, all the above is very much chancing my arm.
Sir, you are a gem. Your cats are lucky to have you as a pet!

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Unfortunately I can't find the book which covered that.

So from 20+ years ago memory. In the early to mid '30s the Germans tried out an armed recon H/T. I think there were 2 models, likely from different manufacturers. Both were quite similar and armed with a 7.5cm L/40.5 (or L/40 or L/41). Only something like a pair of each manufactured, definitely less than a dozen in all. They decided to go with MG and 2cm cannon armed AC instead. The only service was with the DAK.

OK, found it http://www.achtungpanzer.com/75cm-selbstfahrlafette-l408.htm and it's a 7.5cm L/40.8 and both versions were from the same manufacturer.

Just as interesting looking is http://www.achtungpanzer.com/37cm-selbstfahrlafette-l70.htm

Happy now?
My source says only 2 of the prototypes (75mm MA) were sent to North Africa and extensively tested during and after the Gazala battles. #1 was lost and captured by the British during the opening of the Alam Halfa attack. The other was reported in action up to El Guettar, where it shows no other reports of being in action by the Wehrmacht. Presumed destroyed in the El Guettar battles. The others were never completed, according to my source book (the 75mm MA ones) - and were ultimately dismantled/scrapped for parts later in 1943. The muzzle brake on #1 seemed to be a standard pattern, but the one on #2 seemed to be of the pattern similar to the PaK 97/38.

Status
Not open for further replies.