Da Paul Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
good job :) the total captured were 9. 4 each to the PzAufklAbt. of the 227rh and 33rd Infanterie Regiments - 7 of which were in action with Army Group North up to sometime in 1943. the last was a specimen with a failed transmission- repaired and taken to the armor museum collection in Kummersdorf, where it was lost in action in April of 1945.

No surviving examples from wartime service. post-war production models were canceled. The prototype apparently survived the war with its dummy turret sometime beyond its last confirmed sighting in the Netherlands in 1946.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Interesting composite hull construction...front section appears cast, while sides and rear are riveted.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Something "smelled" French with a turret very like that on the AMR 33. I found it in a tome from 1972. A Char Citroen AMR P103. And your image is L/R reversed.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
And your image is L/R reversed.
This sentence always cracks me up... how can you tell? I can't see the beginning of writing anywhere on the picture... so did you find the same picture, in a source where you can trust that the image has not been reversed, or are you just a tank wizard? (of course we all know that you are a tank wizard, I'm just looking for confirmation)

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This sentence always cracks me up... how can you tell? I can't see the beginning of writing anywhere on the picture... so did you find the same picture, in a source where you can trust that the image has not been reversed, or are you just a tank wizard? (of course we all know that you are a tank wizard, I'm just looking for confirmation)
It's probably the shadows. Knowing what time of day most pictures were taken and given the angle of the sun at that moment, it's relatively easy to determine the correct picture alignment. :eek::D

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
When I looked up my ancient tome, the picture was reversed. So once I had identified the vehicle I Googled it to check and all or nearly all had the image reversed compared to the GS image. I suspect that witchbottles reversed the image to foil matching by image matching software. Clever boy!

In all the other photos the driver's compartment bulges out on the RHS with the horn just left of centre. In the above photo you can see the horn and its mounting bracket just where the driver's compartment bulge meets the horizontal part of the glacis and it clearly is to the right of the driver's bulge.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
He noticed the licence plate on the front had reversed letters.

Paul has super-secret software that allows him to view any 2D picture in full 3D. That has to be the story. Right?

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Paul has super-secret software that allows him to view any 2D picture in full 3D. That has to be the story. Right?
We all bought into his backstory...Irish...retired-computer programmer...lives alone in modest row house...has several cats...plays mostly DYO...

Now for the real story... Nationality unknown...active intel-officer for some western power (oh wait maybe he is FSB)...lives underground in a slick reinforced and EMP proof bunker...does have several cats (the cats door is coded to their footprints so they can access the fresh air when permitted)...plays on multiple-linked super computers...which as Footsteps notes gives Paul an advantage. This business about some 1972 tome he pulled off his book shelf...rubbish. He has a set of reading-glasses that allow him access to the BL, NARA, etc... So keep an eye out for the chap who appears just every so often at the corner shop to buy a carton of cigs and some cat treats. That is the Tank Wizard...

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
We all bought into his backstory...Irish...retired-computer programmer...lives alone in modest row house...has several cats...plays mostly DYO...

Now for the real story... Nationality unknown...active intel-officer for some western power (oh wait maybe he is FSB)...lives underground in a slick reinforced and EMP proof bunker...does have several cats (the cats door is coded to their footprints so they can access the fresh air when permitted)...plays on multiple-linked super computers...which as Footsteps notes gives Paul an advantage. This business about some 1972 tome he pulled off his book shelf...rubbish. He has a set of reading-glasses that allow him access to the BL, NARA, etc... So keep an eye out for the chap who appears just every so often at the corner shop to buy a carton of cigs and some cat treats. That is the Tank Wizard...
His avatar picture is a true picture of him, but from when he was a child. There is no known current photo of him, and attempts to digitally "age" him (as they do with missing children) have produced images so hideous that anyone who views them has had to spend time in a psych ward. One poor soul has been in care for fifteen years.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

His avatar picture is a true picture of him, but from when he was a child. There is no known current photo of him, and attempts to digitally "age" him (as they do with missing children) have produced images so hideous that anyone who views them has had to spend time in a psych ward. One poor soul has been in care for fifteen years.

As is the case with all "outted" No Such Agency - Operatives :)

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I have to admit, I like the story as told by the Justiciar/footsteps/witchbottles trio, though I was close enough to Paul's explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.