Da Paul Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
yep- one got knocked out in Barbarossa- the other served from Barbarossa into the Caucasus drive but was lost sometime before the November AFV strength reports were turned in. the extra driver's slit is a fake - ammunition had blow out panel storage bins, and the loader had an armored enclosure with an armored roof. - but the rest of the gun crew were OT.
Are you aware of the reason the design was not continued? Guesses would be cost effectiveness, Ammo storage or poor mechanical performance.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are you aware of the reason the design was not continued? Guesses would be cost effectiveness, Ammo storage or poor mechanical performance.
The minimal resources I reviewed on these indicated the following:

1. The unreliability of the transmission.
2. Extremely limited traverse of MA.
3. Firing High-Velocity AP rounds caused excessive dust kick-up in front of the AFV - eliminating the crew ability to spot fall of shot. An external spotter was required.
4. HE low-velocity rounds were limited in range.

The AFV was built to take on the Petit-turreted weapons in the Maginot Line defenses, at ranges beyond the effective combat range of fixed HMGs and cupola mounted small caliber(<=40mm) guns. It had some use as the AP rounds were specifically designed for the 105 MA - but the actual fielding of it as a tank destroyer in Barbarossa was disappointing, all thoughts of using it as a stop gap against Russian T-34s and KVs ended with the battle reports from the prototypes.

Beyond that, I am interested in learning a bit more about this AFV. Why protect the loader and not the gun crew? In ASL , did KE or CH give it OT AF, or unarmored rear? How can one model blow out ammo storage in ASL? A few other lingering questions.

KRL, jon H

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
In ASL terms if the ammo storage blows out the vehicle is probably destroyed in game terms. You might give the crew a higher CS#, but given that the vehicle is not intended as an assault vehicle, the surviving crew probably figures they have done enough for the war effort today and are not all that interested in avenging their vehicle's destruction. I don't think I would give it a high CS#. In real life the crew might be more likely to survive, but it would probably not participate any further in the battle.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Sunshade to keep the cabin from becoming melting-hot when you park in the sun?

JR

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The source I had did not call it that, but that seems to be correct: https://seabeemuseum.wordpress.com/2015/03/30/archivists-attic-conquering-the-cliffs-of-despair-with-the-doodlebug-in-wwii/. The landing on Tinian was going to be across the narrow White Beach. There were some exits to the beach, but there were also some low limestone cliffs that blocked access to other exits. Ten older LVT-2s were adapted to carry scaling ramps. Two steel beams were separated by pipe, and a layer of wood planks was put on top. Only the top-most plank was attached to the beams; the other planks just rested on the steel beams. When the LVT got to the cliff, the end of the ramp would hook on the top of the cliff. Engineers would release the chains that held the ramp to the LVT, and the LVT would back away. A team of engineers remained with the ramps because the wooden planks got chewed up. Apparently seven of them successfully laid their ramps.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
So, in jrv style. I claim 1 point.

Next....
You only get points for finding something no one--in particular, Paul--can identify. You don't get points for identifying things. It that were the game, I would be the greatest point-getter in history (which I still am, BTW).

JR

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You only get points for finding something no one--in particular, Paul--can identify.
Paul did not identify it...I did. By denying Paul the chance I get a point. That keeps you from getting a point too, for which I should also get a point, just b/c its you.
Points are awarded in a variety of ways, as you especially readily know and credit yourself for getting.
1 Point remains on my tally sheet.
Next...

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Yup, I was beaten to it. I also did not know the name, but figured out its purpose. It looked like the same idea as the Churchill ARK (Armoured Ramp Carrier) which had a fixed trackway on top of the hull and folding ramps at either end. The Churchill ARK would drive into a depression (stream, AT ditch, etc) or up to an obstacle and drop its front and rear ramps and allow vehicles to drive over it. Unlike a bridgelayer it stayed there until better arrangements were made for crossing or bypassing the obstruction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchill_tank#Churchill_ARK_.28Armoured_Ramp_Carrier.29

SSR it to behave like a Churchill Bridgelayer but the vehicle must enter the obstacle, voluntary stop (not Bog, KO, etc) and stay there. Prior to emplacement the Bridgelayer bridge damage rules apply but once emplaced place a bridge counter on the ARK and the only way to affect the bridge is by turning the ARK into a burning wreck. Once emplaced the ARK is a small (+1) target (no turret or anything else above the top of the hull).

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Wild guess:
A one-off AFV (?) Used by a Chinese war lord, built upon a bulldozer chassis.
Curious as to the purpose for the Venetian blind armor.
Not Chinese nor Venetian blinds. Kiwi & corrugated iron.

JR

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks like a Dalek mated with a corrugated iron dunny.
Nope, closer to home for you Rod.
Wild guess:
A one-off AFV (?) Used by a Chinese war lord, built upon a bulldozer chassis.
Curious as to the purpose for the Venetian blind armor.
Nope- 4 off actually (as in four made) and a lot closer to the West Coast of the US than mainland China. Expedient use armor there. No usable resources available for anything better.

Not Chinese nor Venetian blinds. Kiwi & corrugated iron.

JR
so far, so good. You got details on armament and field trials? It was soft rolled Iron I believe, no hardening.

Status
Not open for further replies.