The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
No worry.
And I know that trying to protect privacy on Internet is fighting windmills. But there is some bravado feeling, like the charge of the Light Horse Brigade at Bakaclava, doing it. :cool:

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not exactly a challenge for Paul, but two questions about weapons exposed at Pegasus Memorial, at Ranville, Normandy.
The first one : would this be an APDS shell (sorry, the image importer doesn't want to put it vertically)?

View attachment 2366
Definitely an APDS round, I can't be more specific as to caliber without seeing the rest of the shell casing. (6 or 17 pounder?).

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And this looks like a quad .30 cal, which was described as mounting US ht - which would be a variant of the .50 cal Meatchopper?
(I hid the face of my son, who posed for the picture)
View attachment 2363
Those look like .50 cal aircraft machine guns, based upon the perforated barrel shrouds. The mount should have the 'solid' heavy barrels. Perhaps the museum staff restored the weapon with easier to obtain replica aircraft fifties as are commonly seen on some of the warbirds still flying.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And this looks like a quad .30 cal, which was described as mounting US ht - which would be a variant of the .50 cal Meatchopper?
(I hid the face of my son, who posed for the picture)
View attachment 2363
I think they just put 30s in there b/c they did not have access to 50s.
The magazine cans are for 50s judging from where I sit 4000 miles away.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
With regard to Swiftandsure's question.

1) Yeah, the round is an APDS round, little doubt about. I never handled a 17lbr APDS core but a 6lbr core would fit very handily in the palm of your hand, I was surprised at how small it was. So if it was tiny (about a big thumb size) then 6lbr, otherwise 17lbr. As the Brit. 6th AB dropped around that area (as well as the Glider drop on PB), I would expect 6lbr guns in the vast majority.
2) While the guns are not the standard 0.50" M2 HB (Heavy Barrel), their length indicated 0.50". The barrel shrouds look like aircraft 0.50" and the ammo boxes are definitely for 0.50" ammo (as Justicar said). So I am inclined to agree with Yuri0352 that aircraft 0.50" were substituted when restoration was done. They are definitely not 0.30", far too large. Of course they could be complete mock ups for display purposes, based on aircraft pattern guns.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Thank you, Paul, for the excellent input !
I have seen wrong descriptions in military museums.
Pegasus Memorial, however, didn't seem to present such errors otherwise.
But as I actually thought those MG as being .30 cal., I am far from being competent on that matter.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
If it wasn't for the Maxon M45 mount to give a sense of scale I would have said a 0.30" by the barrel shroud general shape, so don't feel too bad!

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No worry.
And I know that trying to protect privacy on Internet is fighting windmills. But there is some bravado feeling, like the charge of the Light Horse Brigade at Bakaclava, doing it. :cool:
I do the same with my kids.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Slingshot for grenades and Molotov's? Used by Republican forces in the Spanish civil war.
Yes - grenade launchers. Not sure I would try a Molotov out of that thing!

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dicker Max
105mm MA
yep- one got knocked out in Barbarossa- the other served from Barbarossa into the Caucasus drive but was lost sometime before the November AFV strength reports were turned in. the extra driver's slit is a fake - ammunition had blow out panel storage bins, and the loader had an armored enclosure with an armored roof. - but the rest of the gun crew were OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.