Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I vaguely remember that we had that one come up before before, maybe in another thread.

It's one of Major Alfred Becker's (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Becker) lashups. A WW1 German 10.5 cm leFH 16 scabbed onto a British Light Tank MK VIB or VIC. According to the Wiki article there were 12 with the 10.5 cm leFH 16, 6 with the 15 cm sFH 13 and 12 unarmed as ammo vehicles.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Chris. That will teach me to check the next thread page. :oops:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Ok, now that we have warmed up with an easy one, it's time to get down to work:

hmm_what_could_that_be.jpg

JR

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
OK, Spanish Republican made AAC-37, roughly based upon BA-3/-6. Some were captured by the rebels and some retreating with the loyalists as they made their way to France where they used against the Germans. I suspect that's where the Germans got theirs. That one has all weapons and turret replaced by a standardised twin MG-34 AA mount as used on a few German softskins like the SdKfz 4 (Ch H, GVN 91).

While their resemblance to the Soviet AC might have been useful in sneaky recon, the risk of "friendly fire" necessitated the use of extra large crosses as seen here.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A worker's 6x4 Chevy in German drag. As Paul notes, likely captured in France, converted, and seeing service in the USSR.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I vaguely remember that we had that one come up before before, maybe in another thread.

It's one of Major Alfred Becker's (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Becker) lashups. A WW1 German 10.5 cm leFH 16 scabbed onto a British Light Tank MK VIB or VIC. According to the Wiki article there were 12 with the 10.5 cm leFH 16, 6 with the 15 cm sFH 13 and 12 unarmed as ammo vehicles.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Chris. That will teach me to check the next thread page. :oops:
I knew about the 10.5 cm version. I didn't realize there was a 15 cm version as well.

GE82c GSW MkVI 736-b.png
It's getting rather crowded.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I knew about the 10.5 cm version. I didn't realize there was a 15 cm version as well.

View attachment 975
It's getting rather crowded.
Based on the photos, this vehicle seems to be rather tall to rate a small target size modifier. Certainly appears to be bulkier than a Stuart I and taller than a SPW 251.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Based on the photos, this vehicle seems to be rather tall to rate a small target size modifier. Certainly appears to be bulkier than a Stuart I and taller than a SPW 251.
Fair comment. I can make the adjustment.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I'd be slow to change the size DRM. I looked at a Wiki photo of a Mk VIA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_Tank_Mk_VI) and on my laptop the gap between the original hull top and top of the cupola was 1 "BoPeep" matchbox deep. The gap between the hull top and the centre of the return roller was also 1 matchbox. Looking at the slightly bigger 1st photo in post #830, got just a little over 1 matchbox for the same 2 measurements. So the SP version might be a just little bigger, if at all.

Looking at the page that footsteps linked to in #830, the first photo shows the top of the standing figure (including beret) is level with the centre of the gun bore. That makes it about 6'. Add in another 1.5' would easily get you to the top of the armour at roughly 7.5' almost the same as the original Mk VI at 7'3" or 7.25'. The SP version is a little wider at the back ("Does my bum look big in this?"), apparently a little longer but little or no difference in height. It's still a pretty small vehicle, so I would advise keeping with a +1 (small) DRM.

EDIT: Thank you footsteps for that link, "liked". Lots of photos I haven't seen before.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
It still has a very short 'wheelbase' or overall length.
Maybe for the 15cm version, we need a 'back-flip' counter to cover the possibility of it being turned over by the recoil? I admit, not really innovative, as there are Tank-Flip attacks vs. those Italian tankettes in 'Soldiers of the Negus'...

von Marwitz

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Figuring out the proper naming for each version will come later.

GE82c GSW MkVI 736-b 15cm.png

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Maybe for the 15cm version, we need a 'back-flip' counter to cover the possibility of it being turned over by the recoil? I admit, not really innovative, as there are Tank-Flip attacks vs. those Italian tankettes in 'Soldiers of the Negus'...

von Marwitz
I remember seeing footage of a SiG33 in action, and even though mounted farther forward, it rocked back alarmingly when fired.

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Question for Paul;
were the Russians still using ACs in their recon units during the last months of the war?
Thanks for any info!!

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Question for Paul;
were the Russians still using ACs in their recon units during the last months of the war?
Thanks for any info!!
This is one of the cases that I will have to answer by giving my impressions that were gained from looking at photographs.
In the Soviet Far East they still had some BA-3/6/10, mainly BA-10, possibly FAI/BA-20 in small numbers. Like many of the older tanks (KV-1, BT-7) that saw service in August Storm, many were already there pre-war and some would have been 'retired' there during the war.

So apart for the SFE, the main recon vehicles (in Europe) were the BA-64 and US M3A1 Scout car. Small numbers of T-70 and T-80 light tanks would have been passed on when tank units (brigades, regiments and separate battalions) went from a mix of light and medium to all medium. US T-48 aka SU-57 were sometimes included for fire support. Jeeps, Peeps, Gaz-64/67 (Soviet Jeep equivalent), motorcycles, sidecars and of course the long suffering horse were the main movers.

In summary, pure armoured cars only, BA-64 everywhere, BA-3/6/10 and FAI/BA-20 Soviet Far East only.

As I said, just my impressions, I'm sure there was the odd relic where it shouldn't be.

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is one of the cases that I will have to answer by giving my impressions that were gained from looking at photographs.
In the Soviet Far East they still had some BA-3/6/10, mainly BA-10, possibly FAI/BA-20 in small numbers. Like many of the older tanks (KV-1, BT-7) that saw service in August Storm, many were already there pre-war and some would have been 'retired' there during the war.

So apart for the SFE, the main recon vehicles (in Europe) were the BA-64 and US M3A1 Scout car. Small numbers of T-70 and T-80 light tanks would have been passed on when tank units (brigades, regiments and separate battalions) went from a mix of light and medium to all medium. US T-48 aka SU-57 were sometimes included for fire support. Jeeps, Peeps, Gaz-64/67 (Soviet Jeep equivalent), motorcycles, sidecars and of course the long suffering horse were the main movers.

In summary, pure armoured cars only, BA-64 everywhere, BA-3/6/10 and FAI/BA-20 Soviet Far East only.

As I said, just my impressions, I'm sure there was the odd relic where it shouldn't be.
Thanks Paul!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.