Da Paul Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I don't know where this would even be used??

Image may contain: strange and dangerous vehicles Image

So Paul what do you think are the Armor values? and MF/MP??

daniel
Looks like the result of a tank trying to stop a train, having forgotten to put a shell in the gun.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The 'tank' chassis on the bottom looks like it could be the M51 tank recovery vehicle.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The suspension certainly looks like the M48/M60 series chassis sporting the Chrysler V12 750hp engine with the Allison X-Drive transmission, as for the rail engine seemingly mounted on it, it's anyone's guess until a better answer comes along.

Rock SgtDan

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Country
llSlovenia
>
John Campbell Since this has been shared 53 times as of this moment, I suppose I should add what I put on Michael Williamson's page: It is a PhotoShop, I do not know by whom, but with a fairly decent match of the upper and lower elements; if you look closely, the cylinder and its associated rods and machinery interfere with the front of the top of the tread. It would be difficult to build a treaded vehicle with a rod-driven tank engine (the larger-diameter structure sitting on and around the boiler is a saddle tank) but might be possible with a modified Heisler or Climax geared loco driving a tank chassis gearbox. But as far as I know there were never Heislers nor Climaxes built with saddle tanks, though some were built with side tanks. I just liked it because it was a well-done visual pun.
>

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
>
John Campbell Since this has been shared 53 times as of this moment, I suppose I should add what I put on Michael Williamson's page: It is a PhotoShop, I do not know by whom, but with a fairly decent match of the upper and lower elements; if you look closely, the cylinder and its associated rods and machinery interfere with the front of the top of the tread. It would be difficult to build a treaded vehicle with a rod-driven tank engine (the larger-diameter structure sitting on and around the boiler is a saddle tank) but might be possible with a modified Heisler or Climax geared loco driving a tank chassis gearbox. But as far as I know there were never Heislers nor Climaxes built with saddle tanks, though some were built with side tanks. I just liked it because it was a well-done visual pun.
>

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The back-quarter view makes it apparent it is not a naval mine.

JR
I'm sticking to my 'naval mine' guess with an alternate guess that it could be one of those containers which restaurants use to recycle used cooking oils.

I do recall having seen a photograph in the past of a cylindrical naval mine, I just cannot recall where.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought it might be like a re-fueler... Russians did not have a lot of trucks, lend lease ones being too valuable to use in this manner???, and so they home grew their own POL tenders...???

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I'm sticking to my 'naval mine' guess with an alternate guess that it could be one of those containers which restaurants use to recycle used cooking oils.

I do recall having seen a photograph in the past of a cylindrical naval mine, I just cannot recall where.
I'm kind of curious what a tank would do with a naval mine loaded on it. You couldn't put it in the water in general. You could use it as a demolition vehicle, I suppose, but why go to all the trouble of using a naval mine when a box of explosives would do.

JR

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm kind of curious what a tank would do with a naval mine loaded on it. You couldn't put it in the water in general. You could use it as a demolition vehicle, I suppose, but why go to all the trouble of using a naval mine when a box of explosives would do.

JR
I'll bite just for the sake of it...up river, the fav launches the mine into the water, the current carries it down stream where it strikes a bridge pier...boom... Done under cover of darkness you would have trouble seeing the mine floating by it would seem. This method has the advantage no troops need storm the bridge under fire to lay explosives nor demo vehicle be taken under direct fire....

But in any case, I am sticking with re-fueler.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I'll bite just for the sake of it...up river, the fav launches the mine into the water, the current carries it down stream where it strikes a bridge pier...boom... Done under cover of darkness you would have trouble seeing the mine floating by it would seem. This method has the advantage no troops need storm the bridge under fire to lay explosives nor demo vehicle be taken under direct fire....

But in any case, I am sticking with re-fueler.
That's a big mine: you'd need a lot of water to float it. You'd either need to find a place where the water was deep close to shore or wade out for a ways, and for that you'd have to waterproof the hull. You might use a tank to carry the weapon in a one-off mission, but I don't think you'd have a purpose-built tank for such a situation.

JR

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I not good enough at math and displacement but I don't think it would take that much water to float the mine proper...

In any case as I noted first off, my guess is: re-fueler/tender.

Status
Not open for further replies.