D7.21 CC Reaction Fire

cooljrunner

Reaction score
First name
Jay
Country
llUnited States
D7.21 "After completing its attack, that DEFENDER and all its possessed SW (including those inherent) and Guns are marked with a CC counter, if the vehicle has survived, to prohibit non-CC Reaction Fire attacks, and also with a First or Final Fire counter as appropriate for that attack".

My intrepid 447 and Commissar attacked using CCRF and immobilized an enemy vehicle. Are they marked with a CC counter, thus implying the vehicle survived, in addition to a First Fire counter? If yes, then no ability for them to use Subsequent First Fire?

Thanks, playing J129 Mountain Hunters in a nail biter!

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
My intrepid 447 and Commissar attacked using CCRF and immobilized an enemy vehicle. Are they marked with a CC counter, thus implying the vehicle survived, in addition to a First Fire counter? If yes, then no ability for them to use Subsequent First Fire?
Yes, they are marked "First Fire" and "CC" - but then in itself does not prohibit Subsequent First Fire. They could e.g., attack the vehicle again via CC Reaction Fire as a Subsequent First Fire attack. They can't, of course, not attack any enemy units outside of their Location, now that the enemy vehicle is in there.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
An immobilized vehicle is not eliminated. The units may make a subsequent CCRF attack against the vehicle.

JR

cooljrunner

Reaction score
First name
Jay
Country
llUnited States
In my example the CCRF qualified for Street Fighting so the vehicle is in an ADJACENT hex and I'm marked with a First Fire and CC counter. I "think" that means no more subsequent first fire, final fire, or final protective fire for the 447, but not sure. Quite simply, does being marked with a CC counter in this case prohibit all other attacks?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
In my example the CCRF qualified for Street Fighting so the vehicle is in an ADJACENT hex and I'm marked with a First Fire and CC counter. I "think" that means no more subsequent first fire, final fire, or final protective fire for the 447, but not sure. Quite simply, does being marked with a CC counter in this case prohibit all other attacks?
No, the "CC" counter does not prohibit SFF or FPF attacks - it just prohibits "Non-CC Reaction Fire attacks".

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
No, the "CC" counter does not prohibit SFF or FPF attacks - it just prohibits "Non-CC Reaction Fire attacks".
Now that you say this, I realize that D7.21 can be read two ways. The phrase, "to prohibit Non-CC Reaction Fire attacks," can be read as prohibiting all *attacks* that are not CC Reaction Fire (which would prevent SFF/FPF on the IIFT), or as prohibiting all *Reaction Fire attacks* that are not CC Reaction Fire attacks (which would allow SFF/FPF on the IIFT). I have always read it as the former, and you favor the latter I take it. Having only just realized that it could be read in different ways, I don't see any reason to favor one reading or the other. Is there any rules support favoring one reading or the other?

JR

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Now that you say this, I realize that D7.21 can be read two ways. The phrase, "to prohibit Non-CC Reaction Fire attacks," can be read as prohibiting all *attacks* that are not CC Reaction Fire (which would prevent SFF/FPF on the IIFT), or as prohibiting all *Reaction Fire attacks* that are not CC Reaction Fire attacks (which would allow SFF/FPF on the IIFT). I have always read it as the former, and you favor the latter I take it. Having only just realized that it could be read in different ways, I don't see any reason to favor one reading or the other. Is there any rules support favoring one reading or the other?
It means that it prohibits D7.22 Non-CC Reaction Fire attacks, i.e., the latter..

D7.22:
7.22 NON-CC REACTION FIRE: Each unbroken DEFENDER unit in an OVR Location and not beneath a CC/Melee counter may conduct Non-CC Reaction Fire within (and up to the limits of) its present capabilities, using TPBF/ordnance/FT/Thrown-DC in the normal manner vs that OVRing vehicle [EXC: if that DEFENDER is marked with a Final Fire counter, see 7.221; if it possesses a Gun that is marked with a fire counter, see 7.23; if it is pinned, see A7.81]...."