D6.2 Riders & a couple other 'D' questions

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just had a couple of things happen in a couple of VASL games and I was just trying to double-check these things in the rules but couldn't find the appropriate rule/answer. First, had a Rider on a tank in a '45 scenario that silmultaneosly had an infantry squad, mmg, and leader underneath using armor-assault. I wanted to stop and unload the infantry squad normally (at one-quarter mp expenditure without resorting to the turret changing bail-out tactic) but several onlookers said I couldn't do this since the leader-bonus (6mf) with armor-assault didn't match with the one-quarter Rider (4mf) unloading cost. What rule exactly prevents the rider-unloading in this case? What if it was a MMC without leader doing armor assault (thus 4 MF), is it possible for a Rider to unload at one-quarter MP/MF cost in this case? .. and if so, if the squad could unload in this latter case, could this rider (now unloaded) suddenly become an additional armor-assaulting MMC?

I had a vehicle attempt a s5 smoke shot in prep fire but failed. It can still move in the MPh, if failed s5, because it is not considered to have fired for any purposes other than possible malfunction, right? and if it did malf, it couldn't then move since it's now fired, I guess, right?

My opponent had a RMG & used it in a TPBF BFF situation. I didn't think it could be done since an OVR, which also uses tpbf & halved fire, specifically prevents it. But, I couldn't find a rule disallowing RMG use in a normal TPBF BFF situation attack, so it appears to be legal, correct? Why would a RMG be allowed in a BFF TPBF attack but not an OVR, I wonder?

Thanks in advance,
rk

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Corporal Kindel said:
First, had a Rider on a tank in a '45 scenario that silmultaneosly had an infantry squad, mmg, and leader underneath using armor-assault. I wanted to stop and unload the infantry squad normally (at one-quarter mp expenditure without resorting to the turret changing bail-out tactic) but several onlookers said I couldn't do this since the leader-bonus (6mf) with armor-assault didn't match with the one-quarter Rider (4mf) unloading cost. What rule exactly prevents the rider-unloading in this case? What if it was a MMC without leader doing armor assault (thus 4 MF), is it possible for a Rider to unload at one-quarter MP/MF cost in this case?
Nothing. The rider's MF isn't related to the othe Infantry's MF at all.

The unloading costs the AFV 1/4 of its MP, but that doesn't matter to the Armored Assault units either - the only relation with the AFV's MP and the Armored Assaulting Infantry's MF is that the AFV cannot move farther etc. Otherwise they can freely expend different amount of MF/MP in each hex.

.. and if so, if the squad could unload in this latter case, could this rider (now unloaded) suddenly become an additional armor-assaulting MMC?
Hmmm. It certainly doesn't look like the rules are written with the intention of allowing it, but I cannot find anything that says it's illegal - unless the Infantry started the MPh as riders.

The AA requirements are that the Infantry started its MPh beneath that AFV and moved as a stack with the AFV. So a Squad that starts beneath the AFV, begins by loading onto the AFV and then unloads seems to me to have fulfilled the criteria, but in most times the Squad will have started the MPh as a Rider and then its illegal to use AA afterwards.

I had a vehicle attempt a s5 smoke shot in prep fire but failed. It can still move in the MPh, if failed s5, because it is not considered to have fired for any purposes other than possible malfunction, right? and if it did malf, it couldn't then move since it's now fired, I guess, right?
The actual wording is that it is "considered not to have fired yet for any purpose unless Gun Malfunction or Low Ammo (D3.71) occurs. "
This means that if Malfunction or Low Ammo occurs then it os considered to have fired as normal, i.e. for all purposes - including getting aquisition etc.

Anyway, this means "right" to both your questions.

Last edited:

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Corporal Kindel said:
My opponent had a RMG & used it in a TPBF BFF situation. I didn't think it could be done since an OVR, which also uses tpbf & halved fire, specifically prevents it. But, I couldn't find a rule disallowing RMG use in a normal TPBF BFF situation attack, so it appears to be legal, correct? Why would a RMG be allowed in a BFF TPBF attack but not an OVR, I wonder?

Thanks in advance,
rk
D1.82 - You can not fire the RMG in the same phase in which the MA fires, so during an OVR you are using the MA. The rule specifically lists OVR (I assume so we do not forget that little restriction).