D3.12 Tca

NetWalker

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hello all,

A little confused on this rule. Line 16 states that 'The TCA may also change freely with each MP expended during the MPh. I read this to be that a TCA move while moving is free.

A little further down it goas on to say 'The MP expenditure required for a TCA change during its MPh is doubled if in a woods or building obstacle or rubble hex'

Can someone please explain what simple thing I am not understanding in regards to TCA changes please?

Paul...

Bjoernar

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Hello

The principle is that while a turreted vehicle is not in woods/building it may change its TCA one hexspine each time it spend a MP in the MPh. So, as a Sherman moves you may move the turret counter one hexspine each time you spend a MP, even if it is a Start, Stop, delay, etc MP.

However, if the vehicle is in a woods hex it must spend 2 MPs before it is allowed to move that turret counter to the next hexspine. These two MPs may be used as the AFV enters the woods hex, is stopped and uses delay MP as above. When a Sherman with lets say a 14 MP allotment enters woods at half MP (even f it Bogs since its the turret CA we talk about) you may change the CA as a part of this entry 7/2=3.5 hexspines. If entering at 8 MPs or uses another one to stop, remember that a vehicle may enter at a higher cost than necessary, the Sherman may change the TCA 4 hexspines.

I hope this helped somewhat

Regards
Bjørnar

Last edited:

da priest

Reaction score
Bjoernar said:
..The principle is that while a turreted vehicle is not in woods/building it may change its TCA one hexspine each time it spend a MP in the MPh. ....
OK, where's this? The Rules say change "freely", no limits per MP spent(in open ground).

The 2MP in woods would be if you wander in, stop, and then decide to change TCA later...:confused:

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The old Q&A helps shed some light and an odor of explanation:

D3.12 Can the TCA be changed a free number of hexspines after one MP expenditure? (Or only one hexside?) If it can be changed a free number, must an AFV in woods/building expend two MP before the TCA can change freely?

A. Yes. (No.) Yes. [Compil3]
The AFV must expend at least 1 MP in order to spin the VCA (regardless of the purpose of that MP expenditure). If the AFV is in woods, building, or rubble is 2 MP in order to allow the spin of the TCA.

Bjoernar

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Hello

I believed that a turreted AFV could change the TCA only one hexspine for each MP spent (or two in woods) similar to the mechanics for VCA. My answer was based on that. I now understand that one may actually spin the turret CA as many hexpines as you want for each MP spent (or two MP). Sorry for strange answer, but at leat I learnt something new from this thread :).

Regards
Bjørnar

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry for strange answer, but at leat I learnt something new from this thread :).
Don't we all. Outside of the pressure of a game, no strategy pounding at the temples, this is where we can consider and refine our understanding of the rules without risk. I usually read the rules for affirmation of my thinking, typically to learn that I had overlooked a nuance in the past. Thus I refrain typically from NRBH responses.

:cheeky: