D&D turns 30

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Let's see. First game of D&D I remember playing was 76. But I think I played some Chain Mail & D&D before 76 though. (Dratted memory is going on me.) Ah, high school, dating and D&D. It was at the same time I got interested in Star Fleet Battles (SFB) board game. I wish I still had my 1st edition books...the Dieties & DemiGods with the Grey Mouser in it are worth MUCHO MUCHO $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. But at least I still do have the first (folio) edition of SFB. Now excuse me while I go collapse in a pile of dust from old age.

freightshaker

Reaction score
RichardS said:
Let's see. First game of D&D I remember playing was 76. But I think I played some Chain Mail & D&D before 76 though. (Dratted memory is going on me.) Ah, high school, dating and D&D. It was at the same time I got interested in Star Fleet Battles (SFB) board game. I wish I still had my 1st edition books...the Dieties & DemiGods with the Grey Mouser in it are worth MUCHO MUCHO $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. But at least I still do have the first (folio) edition of SFB. Now excuse me while I go collapse in a pile of dust from old age.
So, just how much is the Dieties and Demigods with the Grey Mouser actually worth since I have it on my bookshelf right now????

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
freightshaker said:
So, just how much is the Dieties and Demigods with the Grey Mouser actually worth since I have it on my bookshelf right now????
Well, I know somebody who was able to go to a convention; pay for a 4* hotel room in Atlanta, food, expenses from putting one in an auction and that was at least 6 years ago. It would also depend on the condition, etc. To test the waters you might check to see what they are going for now on E-Bay.

:flag:

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
freightshaker said:
Cool, appreciate it Richard.
I went and looked it up; disappointing to say the least. And I checked. The convention was the DragonCon/Origins Convention of 1990! It was 14 years ago. I wonder why the price as dropped so much?

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
First memory of the game "here roll these dice", (it was assumed I was going to be a fighter ,err read cannon fodder).

I had a real early proto character sheet, and I had not one idea what was going on.
And it sure as hell wasn't a wargame.

Best rolegaming moment.
Playing a paladin so virtuous and full of his diety. At one point in the mission I actually thought his god was personally watching over him. Told the guy running the game he was no longer actively worrying about traps which were all now quite harmless as I had the personal protection of a god protecting him. So in a moment of creative decision making the guy just voided all traps for my paladin.
So he gets to the chamber holding the "artifact", the reason we were all there. But there is this woman on an alter laying there holding it.
Well she tells mr gullible paladin that it's hers. And he being a paladin and sworn to never harm a female is in a bind. He can't hurt or harm her. So he turns to leave unsure what to do.
And the evil wench stabs him in the back and kills him.

We laughed over that for hours hehe.

Funniest moment.
Playing a fighter swordsman type. I called him GA1. You see he was a genetic experiment of a band of wizards from a far distant corner of the world we were playing in. The idea was to create the ultimate swordsman.
Trouble was, he was a biological experiment in many ways. He was born fully grown. So I played him as a brutal killing machine that was quite obviously born yesterday for matters of any sort not related to swordfighting.
Man that was something to play out.
Every third swing from him averaged a save vs death resolution.
But man was he a sucker while out shopping :)

You just don't get any of that from a computer version of the game eh (which explains why I don't play of them).

freightshaker

Reaction score
RichardS said:
I went and looked it up; disappointing to say the least. And I checked. The convention was the DragonCon/Origins Convention of 1990! It was 14 years ago. I wonder why the price as dropped so much?
Was a bit surprised myself when I looked at it. I had been told many years ago my books were worth more than I paid for them but now it doesn't seem like it.

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
freightshaker said:
Was a bit surprised myself when I looked at it. I had been told many years ago my books were worth more than I paid for them but now it doesn't seem like it.
The only thing I can think of is that the books appeared to be in less than good condition. The condition does matter. Also with the advent of 2E and 3E; they may not be as much appeal except for those who are into collecting OOP and relatively rare editions of games. :surprise:

:flag:

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My dad's been playing since '77. Myself for almost 10 years now. We both love 2nd Ed. AD&D much more than 3rd. I like some of the other game types you can do with 3rd but I love 2nd more.

Its a little early but I'll try and get the memory machine working with the details of our great RPG moments.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
As with any game, it's usually about the design balance.

1st edition D&D is likely comparable with Squad Leader in that it was a good design, but simplified in most areas, not over burdened with detail in most cases and generally speaking fun.

You can still pick up a copy of "Rules Cyclopedia" which is basically the original game but efficiently now marketed in a well made volume, and have a very good game experience.

2nd Edition probably enjoyed a lot of success because it was all the lessons learned from 1st Edition, but with the added benefit of a lot of game worlds to build on as well.
But somewhere along the way, they likely added to many add ons.
I lost interest in AD&D 2nd Edition when it looked like it was too much trouble hauling around all those darned maroon coloured supplements.

3rd Edition was supposed to be "simple". And anyone that actually buys that, is a sucker.
The 3rd Edition is a cash edition if it's anything.
But they let the rest of the planet in on the legal manufacture of the design, and now every two bit semi qualified writer seems to have a d20 system manual.
The biggest weakness of 3rd Edition is its a power gamer edition. Or put in terms a wargamer can relate to, it's entirely gamey.
If the guy running the game isn't a ruthless individual, the game gets as the kids say "owned" by the players.

If you go into a well off game store today, and look at all the titles on the shelf, you might be inclined to think rolegaming is enjoying a great deal of success.
I would reserve that judgement for another 5 years.
If those same shelves look the same in 5 years, then you would have been right.
But I think in 5 years the glut will have run it's course as it always does with a hobby.
Right now there are two many hands reaching for too few slices of the rolegaming pie.

chrisvalla

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yep, 2nd got too complicated for itself with 'outdoor' and 'dungeon' skills and the beginnings of multiple sub-classes... and 3rd... :eek: money-grubbing-reset-the-rules publishers is all I have to say.

Last AD&D stuff I got was FR The Horde box set... never even read through it though. D&D... well, we were some sick pups and played all the way up to the Master level...

Of course then I moved onto GURPS anyway... in Karameikos... :laugh:

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am currently fond of the Alternity design.

First game I have bought, where when they say you only need the Gamemasters Guide and the Player's Handbook they were actually correct hehe.

They made a batch of settings books, but I have never felt any need of them.
The design sat at No. 1 for quite some time, then the owners axed it to sell a licensed design for no real gain if you ask me.

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Setting: December, 1983, Senior NCO Quarters, Baumholder, Germany.

PVT Pangracs is invited by another soldier to play some D&D at a "friend's" place.

We walk into the common room of the Senior NCO Quarters, and seated around a HUGE table are the following:

1. My company First Sergeant

2. My Battalion Motor Officer

3. My Battalion Executive Officer

4. My Battalion S-3

Talk about intimidation! I was a Private, my friend was a Spec 4. Of course, after creating my character and kicking some serious Troll-ass, I was just one of the guys after that!

We played D&D for 36 straight hours, and did so 2 weekends a month for 18 months!

Ahhh,...memories.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I trashed my section leader during basic, playing a really stripped down form of Squad Leader I had taken with me (it was just some bare bones components and a copied map).

He was not happy being shown up by a slug at what was ostensibly his job description :)

I was forbidden to touch the stuff for the duration hehe.

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow, I am getting old. I played it in Middle School long ago. I remember us geeks getting together in the morning and looking at our map sheets to see what we were doing in our adventures and talking about our battles. Ahhhh....miss those days.

BigMik1

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alternity was good and was kinda an experimental d20 system if you will. But very different. The best part of it is it is built like Traveller you can sculpt every little detail in the game (like will a Rail Rifle punch a hole through a ships viewscreen, explosively decompressing the bridge or not. You could just say that the tiny hole from the inside would breach it, while you could go all the way into the game stats to determine whether or not it did punch a hole. Thats the way we play DnD kinda off the hip if you will. Mixing and matching rules and making our own).

I think one of the best game moments was when a Thri-kreen (aka Intelligent Giant Ant) jumped through a wall of fire. Bad luck on his part he was caught on fire, his spetum broke off when he impaled a hostage behind a fire, and then he tumbled to the feet of a guard. I don't know how he made it out of that one. (possibly because I just raised my shield and ran out made my save and dispatched the guard).

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
What I get a laugh out of is how some guys just can't rolegame some situations :)

I like to annoy guys and force them to acknowledge their inability to come outside of their comfort zone now and then.

I was playing a scifi setting as a player a good while back.
I wanted full range of laugh opportunities.
So I made a pilot/trader sort of type that was a combination of Murdock (A-team) and Luke Sywalker, and Hansolo.
And, my character was a hermaphrodite :) :)

God it was funny playing her/him hehe.
Gorgeous looking broad so you thought.
Could fly anything.
Smart in a business deal.
No morales at all.

So we are fling through space, and my PC is a noob so I ain't flying the ship.
So what the heck I am doing something to build character till my PC gets accepted.
I am in a cargo hold setting up a dress shop.
Well the navigator gets killed in an attack.
"Quick beam temuka into the bridge area, she can fly this thing".
Nobody told Temuka (my PC) about this transporter option eh.
Well I am at the helm, but an attack hits ship, and sends an electrical arc right at my chest.
Well naturally all the guys laugh. They being the usual sort, figure "gee to bad Temuka, guess that just arc welded your armour on you eh". That would have resulted in additional damage if I had had any armour on.
But a black evening dress is not normally a good electrical conductor hehe.

The guys just looked at me odd when I said "what armour, I'm wearing a dress you dolts.

Typical though eh, a lot of guys can never really get into a role, they just want the biggest weapon, the toughest armour and credit for the most recent kill in to many cases.