D 9.54 Dug-in AFV

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hi Guys

I do not really understand what you are asking about here but this might help.
As a Dug-In tank is treated as a Armored Cupola you handle it just as a AFV with regards to protection for Indirect Fire. Of course it cannot protect Infantry in the same hex.

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
What I am trying to say is does a dug-in AFV get +4 TEM as if they where in a trench when attacked by OBA, +2 TEM when attacked by ordnance using area target type?

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The ASL RB is like a legal document, thus if they wanted a dug-in AFV to be treated as being IN a trench they would say it...
So, no, in this case the AFV gets attacked as per usual. (See D9.5-9.53).

Also (as per the C6 TH chart) TEM does not affect the To Hit roll with Area fire, though it does affect the TK or IFT result.. in this case there would be no target based modifier on this TK/IFT roll with the exception of in hex terrain (and this is NOT a trench unless by SSR) and the size modifier of the target (always +1 for small).
For Area Fire look up C3.33- 3.332

It is easier to give a detailed answer if you write down all the variables... eg "OBA attacking a dugin T34/85 in a woods hex"
:(

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
You will have to forgive the way I worded the question. I honestly thought the first time I asked the question would suffice.
Yes I did read the rules but unfortunately I don't have access to the entire set of ASL Journals to get some official Q&A's.
Here is the original question; What is the TEM for all forms of indirect fire. On board mortars and OBA. I can't find anything.
The whole time I was referring to the IFT. I know OBA doesn’t have to secure a hit and I know how the area fire mechanics work as well.
Thank you again and sorry to be such an annoyance.

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hi Guys

Do not treat yourself as an annoyance, it was a interesting question and the rulebook is not that easy to comprehend and notice everything that is valid for different situations. I think Jack just tried to explain that it might be wise for future questions to explain a specific situation as there always seems to be exceptions to a answer.
Keep the questions coming and roll low and prosper.

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hey dude, no stress... :)
But the rules for the TEM against MTRs is the same for all other attacks (off the top of my head) with the MAJOR exceptin of woods, then you have to factor in Airburst... look up airburst in the index and alles clar

Seabee Mark

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you have the Chap B Terrain Chart you can look up all the TEM for Indirect Fire. As Legion said, most are the same as direct fire, but if different the chart lists it under 'TEM/Indirect'.

As far as a Dug-in AFV, it isn't considered to be "as if in a trench" (and AFV can't be under a trench counter per B27.55) so it will not receive a +2 TEM for MTRs or a +4 TEM for OBA.

Mark