D 9.31 Armored Assault AFV MP vs MMC MF Spent or Implied

Earl_8minus0

Reaction score
First name
Earl
Country
llSouth Korea
Team

Looking for clarification on D 9.31 Armored Assault and the interaction with the AFV's MP and MMC's MF spent or implied spent amount.

AFV and Squad begin movement in the same hex and conduct Armored Assault - Double Time is not declared.

They move 3 open ground hexes - when the AFV changes VCA within the same hex - does the Squad now need to declare Double Time?

If the AFV had wanted to expand a point to 'STOP' would the Squad have had to declare Double Time at the start of the movement to gain 6 MF's?

Or is the intent of linking AFV MP movement to the MMC's MF - cannot move further - only a reference to if/when the AFV or MMC move out of a hex that at one point they had shared.

In other words since the AFV and MMC in my example above stayed in the same hex - the AFV's MP spent didn't in anyway also require the MMC to spend MF to allow the AFV to change its VCA and STOP (2 additional MP's only spent by the AFV) in that location?

Break

I am sure this could be worded better or a picture(s) is worth a 1,000 words - but I hope you can understand the intent of the question above and more importantly help me understand how/when the AFV's MP need to be linked with the MMC's MF.

Thanks in advance - yes still a recruit in the total count of my postings - but that doesn't really indicate my life long effort to learn/enjoy this game in a lot of locations.

Later,

Earl

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've always played it the AFV could expend any amount of MP is a hex without entailing the infantry to do the same and vice-versa. However to forego repeatedly asking your opponent how many MP/MF are spent in each location we really hold true to the stipulations of A8.1 (...the DEFENDER should keep careful watch as the ATTACKER counts aloud the MF/MP expended as each unit/stack he moves enters a new Location or performs some task requiring the expenditure of MF/MP in its current Location. ...). Should we forget such a simple rule or fail to state the MF/MP expenditure our default is to assume the Vehicle has spent a % of its MP allowance in each hex entered (adjusted for entry of special terrain) equal the amount of hexes the infantry could have moved using whatever movement modifiers the infantry may have been entitled/limited to (i.e. Declaring double-time, road bonus, entering a higher elevation, etc.).

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Respective numbers of MFs and MPs can be disconnected. However the AFV may not go farther than the infantry.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Agree

So the MMC still has 1 MF - so the AFV can go one more hex - or only one more MP?

The next he wishes to enter is Higher Ground 4 + 1.

Thoughts?

Later,

Ea
Both must have sufficient MP/MF to enter the next hex, though they need not be numerically be the same. So to enter an open ground hex a level higher all personnel must have at least 2 MF left (1 MF doubled) and the AFV must have 5 MP (1 open + 4 higher) (or what is appropriate for tracked/HT/AC/truck) left.

If either lacks the required MF/MP the personnel+vehicle stack must halt.

One slightly weird thing would be: A MMC and an AFV wish to use Armoured Assault to move 4 (6 with Double Time) open ground hexes. In hex 1 the MMC is fired on and breaks. The AFV can continue without the MMC but is limited to 3 more hexes (total of 4) or 5 more hexes (total of 6) if the MMC declared Double Time prior to moving.

Last edited:

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sounds like we need "Armored Assault Continuation" counters. ;)

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Generally it is determined by the infantry's movememt. Occadionally the tank might limit it.
If the ings try and AFV start together and move 1 along a road, the AFV has spent 2 MP, one to start in hex A one to move to hex B. The inf have spent only 1. Next the infantry move into a building for 2,3. The AFV coukd bypass that building for 2 per hexside or drive through the building for half it's MP. The infantry then stops. The AFV coukd continue to a hex that it costs the infantry 1 to enter. The actual cost to the AFV is not relevant as long as he has the MP remaining.

Non movement actions, changing VCA using a sD, are not relevant for calculating how far the infantry coukd have moved.