D.6 Vehicular-Target Hits vs PRC

Michiel

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
I understand that I can never directly target PRC with ordnance. Assume I can not kill (baring CH) the enemy AFV because of a too low TK number (Sherman vs Panther) but the enemy tank is CE. Can I do the following: fire at the Panther using HE and the Vehicle Target Type. I will not be able to kill the enemy AFV but will cause a SPECIFIC Collateral Attack (A.14A, 1st ed. rulebook) and attack the CE crew on the IFT with 12+2 (for 75 mm and no hindrance) giving me a NMC on a 7 or lower against the crew.

WaterRabbit

Reaction score
Country
llGreenland
The Area Target Type is not a bad plan. Consider the Sherman vs Panther Duel. The M4 has an AP TK# of 14 vs the 14 Front Turret Armor of a Panther. So, barring a CH, no effect.

On the ATT it is a 6 FP shot with 0 DRM. A 2 DR destroys the tank, a 3 or 4 causes an automatic Shock for a turret hit or an Immobilization for a hull hit. A 5 causes a NMC vs the exposed crew in the General Collateral Attack.

Of course, a side or rear shot is prefered.

Michiel

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
The problem I have with using the Area Target Type (ATT) is the lower TH numbers at short range. For some reason most of my tank duels end up in the range of 1-12 hexes (haven't masterd the desert rules yet) and at this range the ATT TH numbers are 7 vs 10 at 0-6 hexes (VTT, black to hit) and 7 against 9 for 7-12 hexes a big difference.

Michiel.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
That's true but if you have a minimal chance to kill the target and the crew is BU then your best chance is ATT.

You could also weigh the odds of:

1)An HE hit on the vehicle actually breaking the crew (Stun), assuming average DR and crew morale of 8.

versus

2)An ATT attack that may a) still stun the crew, b) immobilze or Shock the tank, c) kill the vehicle.

It is a difficult choice. You could also try for a 'motion attempt', use smoke dispensers (if available), etc. You have many choices available to you but I agree that trying to stun the crew is possibly the best option.

Last edited:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WaterRabbit said:
The Area Target Type is not a bad plan. Consider the Sherman vs Panther Duel.
If the Panther is CE, the VTT using HE is your best way for getting a result. During the MPh, overruns can also be very effective against CE vehicles--something the many people forget to take into consideration.