D 2.33

Harold

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok guys, here are some questions involving VCA changes. I originally was looking this rule up because yesterday in a scenario we had a stationary bypass vehicle change his VCA in the AFPh so as not to have his (much larger) side armor facing the LATW threat. I thought it wasn’t doable but was about to concede the game anyways so I didn’t feel the need to stop and look it up. Turns out I was right. While confirming this, the rusty ASL brainbox got clanking.

D2.33: Assume a vehicle is in bypass on 19C3 CAFP C3/C4/D3 with the VCA facing D3. It is in motion. An enemy moves into J3 that he wants nothing to do with. Can he change his VCA so he is now at the B2/C2/C3 CAFP with the VCA being B2? How about if he is stationary and it is during the enemy MPh or his own Final Fire phase and he attempts and passes a motion attempt?

I say yes to both but I don’t keep any of the (insert name) sez clarifications so maybe it is covered there.

Wot sez yu?

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
I did not look up your board references, but I would say no to all. A Bypassing vehicle can only change VCA during its MPh, with the intention of directly moving along the new hexside (or reversing into the rear hex) during that same MPh. No other VCA changes is allowed.

My rule references are D2.33 "A vehicle in stationary Bypass cannot change its VCA to take a shot; i.e., it can only change VCA if exiting that Bypass hexside. A VBM vehicle making a VCA change cannot voluntarily end its MPh in that position; it must move to the next CAFP or reverse into a new hex to its rear."

and D2.34 "... a vehicle may voluntarily end its MPh using Bypass. It remains straddled across the hexside last traversed, with the CAFP defining its position within the hex, its VCA, and its vehicular Target Facing. Its ability to change its VCA is limited per 2.33."