CyberVASL XIV

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Dear all,

A new edition of CyberVASL is now open for sign-up. If you are interested in joining this tournament, please send an email to CyberVASL {at} outlook {dot} com (please be sure that you include exactly "CyberVASL XIV" in the subject of the email), indicating your real name, and email. By doing so, you accept that I will use this information and pass it to others for the exclusive purposes of running the tournament.

All rules are below, but here is a summary:

• NEW This time, there will be previous league round before single elimination matches (my intention is to keep this league format in Autumn tournaments, and the single elimination format in Spring ones). Groups of 2-4 people, playing one game against each other player in the group. Best of each group will advance into the playoffs, which will be single-elimination as usual. The player limit will be 32.
  • NEW The old AREA ratings are again active in the new project ASL Player Ratings (http://asl-ratings.org). I will use a combination of these ratings and our ELO rating computed inside our tournament to make the pairings.
  • I will take sign-ups until 4th October. The tournament will start around 5th October with all players who signed up until 4th October.
  • All sign-ups must be done by email. No late sign-ups will be admitted.
  • I will give some "badges" to participating players, for achieving some targets. The purpose is only to add some spice to the tournament, with no other intention or implication.
  • After some complaints about the "good luck" of particular players, I decided to develop a tool capable of detecting cheating behavior, based on the logs of the game. Since it is not fully automated, each player will have some limited access to it, to ensure it is used with moderation. In particular, you can ask for an analysis of your current game, but if the tool fails in detecting cheats, then you will not be able to request it neither in this tournament nor the next one you are participating. Of course, if a player is detected cheating, he will be immediately expulsed from current and future tournaments. I hope this threat is enough to discourage all cheaters from participation, so hopefully I will not need to run the tool ever!

COMPLETE RULES:

• The tournament starts with a league phase: Players are grouped into small groups of 2-4 people (depending on total number of players). Groups will contain a maximum mix of skills.
  • In each group, each player should play a game against each other in the group. This means 1-3 games per player.
  • In order to give players time to complete this extra load of games, this league phase will last for 6 months.
  • Only first player in each group will advance into the playoffs. Only the number of wins count. Ties in the number of wins can ocurr; in that case, I will simply randomize among co-winners (I thought about other possibilities, but decided to keep it simple).
  • After that, in each playoff round, people will be paired, and only the winner of each game will continue in the tournament.
  • Default method of play is VASL PBEM, no optional rules and VASL dicebot. Other methods, rules or dice are allowed upon agreement of both players.
  • All games of a round must be completed no later than three months (six months in the league phase) after the previous round finished. All games have to be running (i.e., both setups done, and turn 1 started) after one month from the start of the round (in the league phase, at least one game running in the first month, and either one finished or all running by the second month).
  • Deadlines are NOT flexible. At the end of a round a winner must be declared. Failure to this will imply a double loss to both players. Please only sign up if you can send at least one log per day most of the time, as speed is very important when playing PBEM.
  • All pairings will be predetermined at the start of the tournament, and you will be allowed (and encouraged) to start your next round game as soon as you know who is your opponent. This will give you more time to complete the new game, as the three months period only starts once all games for the previous round are finished. I will try to regularly remind people about new games that can be started.
  • Depending on previous forfeits, it is possible that some players are not paired in a given round. In that case, those players will automatically advance to the next round.
  • Pairings will be based on a combination of ELO ratings computed at the start of the tournament, based on previous CyberVASL games played, and the ASL Player Ratings (http://asl-ratings.org). League groups will be designed in a way that best players will tend to play between them only in latest rounds, i.e. groups will contain the maximum mix of skills.
  • If you feel that you are not going to have time to complete your game in time, please resign as soon as possible, to allow your opponent to start his new round game ASAP.
  • If your game is not finished, (or the game has not started after the first month) then the player more responsible of the delay should politely declare his opponent as the winner, no matter how the game was going.
  • All results (win/lose/forfeit) can be notified by either player, either by posting here or sending an email to CyberVASL {at} outlook {dot} com. In the latter case, please be sure that you include exactly "CyberVASL XIV" in the subject of the email. Please communicate in a similar way scenario and sides chosen, as well as the moment when you effectively started to play turn 1.
  • All games (except those not started after the first month) will be reported to ASL Player Ratings (http://asl-ratings.org).
  • In case a rules dispute appears, please consult the rulebook and the rules forum in GameSquad. Only when this doesn't clarify the answer, you can ask me for a decision. Both players should explain their point of view, with specific references to rules. In this respect, I maybe request advice from experienced players, who will also be responsible of deciding when the dispute affects one game in which I am playing.
  • Cheats: There is a tool capable of detecting several types of cheats in a given game, based on VASL logs. Any player can request its use for his current game, but if the tool fails to find cheating behavior, then the requesting player cannot use it neither for the rest of the tournament nor for the next one in which he participates. Detected cheating players will be immediately expulsed from all current and future CyberVASL tournaments.
Sign-up rules:

• The sign-up period will last until 4th October at most.
  • Tournament will start around 5th October (earlier if the 32 seats are filled fast).
  • All sign ups must be done by email.
Specific suggestions for selecting scenario and sides:

• ANY scenario can be chosen. Please take into account time availability of you and your opponent, to ensure that the scenario is small enough to be played by the deadline.
  • One of the purposes of the tournament is to encourage people to play against new opponents, in order to learn from them both in terms of rules and strategy.
  • Therefore, to encourage less experienced people to join, it is suggested that (when the players have different experience levels) the less experienced player selects 3-4 scenarios, and pass them to his opponent, who in turn selects one of them and randomize sides. In this way, less experienced players can adjust the scenario selection to their rules knowledge.
  • If both players have a similar experience level, then they can agree on any way they want.
  • To facilitate this procedure, all players will have an associated experience level (based on CyberVASL ELO and ASL Player Rankings), that will be communicated when the pairings are done.
  • Please have a list of your 3-4 preferred scenarios prepared in advance, to avoid unnecessary delays.
Good luck to all!

Sergio

PD: List of current participants (up to 22nd September):

Sergio Puente
Tom Arnold
Jay Elwell
Martin Kristensen
Alex Koestler
Blake Ball
Bob Eury
Steffen Knippel
Vic Rosso
Bob Zinselmeyer
Jason Wert
Robert Mac Ginley
Jeremy Busby
Mike Johnston
John Garlic
Maurizio Grassi
John Lehman
David Castander
Tom Yetter
Marc Hanna

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Still four seats available!

Updated list of participants:

Sergio Puente
Tom Arnold
Jay Elwell
Martin Kristensen
Alex Koestler
Blake Ball
Bob Eury
Steffen Knippel
Vic Rosso
Bob Zinselmeyer
Jason Wert
Robert Mac Ginley
Jeremy Busby
Mike Johnston
John Garlic
Maurizio Grassi
John Lehman
David Castander
Tom Yetter
Marc Hanna
Pierce Mason
Jim Traver
Brad Hampson
Dave Wardzala
Pablo Garcia
Jeff Sewall
John Otrompke
Fabio Mazzucchelli

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
We are ready to begin!

Here is the list of mini-league groups:

Group A:

Tom Arnold
Bob Zinselmeyer
Bob Eury
Dave Wardzala

Group B:

Marc Hanna
Alex Koestler
David Castander
John Lehman

Group C:

Sergio Puente
Steffen Knippel
Robert Mac Ginley
Fabio Mazzucchelli

Group D:

Pablo Garcia
John Garlic
Mike Johnston

Group E:

Vic Rosso
Martin Kristensen
Jim Traver
Roberto Alesse

Group F:

Maurizio Grassi
Jason Wert
Jeff Sewall
John Otrompke

Group G:

Blake Ball
Brad Hampson
Tom Yetter

Group H:

Jay Elwell
Tuomo Lukkari
Pierce Mason
Jeremy Busby

Only winner of each group advance to playoffs.

Have fun!

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good Morning Fellow Berserkers!
Jeremy Busbys French will attack my Thai forces in ASL 248 "Siam Sambal."
Cheers ya'll!
Pierce

dwardzala

Va Tech Hokie
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have my games lined up:
Against Tom Arnold, my Russians are defending against the Italians in J130 - The Art of Dying
Against Bob Zinselmeyer, my Russians are defending against the Germans in J94 - Kempf at Melikhovo
Against Bob Eury, my Germans are defending against the Americans in AP106 - Helluva Patrol Leader
Good luck to my opponents.

Last edited:

Maurizizio

Reaction score
First name
Maurizio
Country
llUnited States
Hi Sergio, would it be possible to share an update on the games played so far and results? Thanks

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Hello all, it is around half way in this league phase, and hence time for a brief summary:

There are some actual and possible ties. Note that in these cases, the group winner will be decided by a random draw.

Group A:

Tom Arnold
Bob Zinselmeyer
Bob Eury
Dave Wardzala

The two Bobs have an advantage, with one win both against Dave. Nothing decided yet.

Group B:

Marc Hanna
Alex Koestler
David Castander
John Lehman

John withdrew from the tournament. Marc and Alex have one win. Only one game pending, Marc vs David. If Marc wins, he goes into the playoffs. If David wins, then we will have a triple tie.

Group C:

Sergio Puente
Steffen Knippel
Robert Mac Ginley
Fabio Mazzucchelli

Only Sergio vs Steffen pending. If Steffen wins, he goes into playoffs, with three wins. If I win, Steffen and myself will be tied.

Group D:

Pablo Garcia
John Garlic
Mike Johnston

No games finished yet, all running.

Group E:

Vic Rosso
Martin Kristensen
Jim Traver
Roberto Alesse

Jim withdrew from the tournament. All other games finished, with a triple tie.

Group F:

Maurizio Grassi
Jason Wert
Jeff Sewall
John Otrompke

Maurizio is ahead with two wins, followed by Jason with one. Three games still pending (and AFAIK, two of them not started, Maurizio vs Jason, and Jeff vs. John).

Group G:

Blake Ball
Brad Hampson
Tom Yetter

One game pending yet, but Blake is already in playoffs with two wins, congrats!

Group H:

Jay Elwell
Tuomo Lukkari
Pierce Mason
Jeremy Busby

Two games pending. Jay is ahead with two wins, but all players except Jeremy still have chances.

I hope you are having fun, cheers!

Sergio

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
League phase ends in five days. Those with games pending, please be sure you finish them in time.

Here is the situation of the different groups:

Group A

Tom Arnold
Bob Zinselmeyer
Bob Eury
Dave Wardzala

4 games pending, everything can still happens.

Group B

Marc Hanna
Alex Koestler
David Castander
John Lehman

Finished: Marc Hanna advances to playoffs.

Group C

Sergio Puente
Steffen Knippel
Robert Mac Ginley
Fabio Mazzucchelli

Finished: Steffen Knippel advances to playoffs.

Group D

Pablo Garcia
John Garlic
Mike Johnston

One game pending, John vs. Mike. If Mike wins, he advances. If John wins, then we have a triple tie, and a random winner will be declared.

Group E

Vic Rosso
Martin Kristensen
Jim Traver
Roberto Alesse

Finished. Vic, Martin and Roberto have a triple tie, a random winner will be declared

Group F

Maurizio Grassi
Jason Wert
Jeff Sewall
John Otrompke

Two games pending, but Maurizio Grassi won his three, so he advances to playoffs.

Group G

Blake Ball
Brad Hampson
Tom Yetter

Finished: Blake Ball advances to playoffs.

Group H

Jay Elwell
Tuomo Lukkari
Pierce Mason
Jeremy Busby

Finished: Jay Elwell advances to playoffs.

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Update: Quarters are about to finish:

Bob Zinselmeyer (1st line) -Vic Rosso (Elite)
Marc Hanna (Hero) -Maurizio Grassi (Elite)
Steffen Knippel (1st line) -Blake Ball (Elite)
Mike Johnston (2nd line) -Jay Elwell (Elite)

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
And here are the semifinals:

Vic Rosso (Elite) -Blake Ball (Elite)
Maurizio Grassi (Elite) -Jay Elwell (Elite)

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
This tourney was actually over some time ago, but I waited for the previous one (XIII) to be finished before announcing the winner.

Congrats to the winner Vic Rosso!

Congrats also to the other finalist (Jay Elwell), and all the other participants!

Badges granted this tournament:

Vic Rosso COop
Jay Elwell Sop
Blake Ball sop
Maurizio Grassi sop
Bob Zinselmeyer op
Mike Johnston op
Steffen Knippel op
Alex Koestler p
Bob Eury p
Brad Hampson p
Dave Wardzala p
David Castander p
Fabio Mazzucchelli p
Jason Wert p
Jeff Sewall p
Jeremy Busby p
John Garlic p
John Otrompke p
Marc Hanna p
Martin Kristensen p
Pablo Garcia p
Pierce Mason p
Robert Mac Ginley p
Roberto Alesse p
Sergio Puente p
Tom Yetter p
Tuomo Lukkari p

Hall of Fame:

Lionel Colin CCCCCCSOooooooppppppppp
David Gillies CCCSssOooooopppppppppp
Vic Rosso CCOOooppp
Brian Wiersma CSoppp
Tom Arnold CssOooopppppppp
Mike Johnston COoooooppppppppp
Jay Elwell SSssOooopppp
Jeff Buser SSsOoooppppp
Sergio Puente SssOooopppppppppppp
Jon Cole SssOoooppp
Martin Marquis Ssoooppppppppppp
Bruno Nitrosso Soppppppp
Laurent Tinture Sopp
Will Fleming Spppppppppp
Rodney Ding ssOOoopp
Blake Ball ssoooppppppppp
John Bock sOOoopp
Rick Carter sOooppppppp
Ricardo GarcÃa sOooppp
Alan Krause sOoppp
Bruno Javanabal sOoppp
Russell Dewhurst sOopp
Mario Aceto sOop
Maurizio Grassi soopppp
Alex Koestler soppppppppppp
Michael Rodgers sop
Sebastian Hummel spp
Anatoly Sizov Ooooppppp
Ãngel González Oooppppppppp
Jason Wert Oopppppppppppp
Bob Kummeth Oop
Ivan Kent oooppppppppp
Warren Smith Jr. oooppppp
Pierce Mason oopppppppp
Jason Burnette ooppppppp
Steffen Knippel oopppppp
Bob Zinselmeyer ooppp
Robert Mac Ginley opppppppppppppp
Eduard González opppppppp
Jeremy Busby oppppppp
Gary Bartlett oppppp
Martin Kristensen oppppp
David Castander opppp
Pablo Garcia opppp
Roy Connelly opppp
Brad Hampson oppp
Scott Kippen oppp
Tom Yetter oppp
Andreas Hinz opp
Doug Fitch opp
Erik Lindblad opp
Paul Franklin-Bihary opp
Jim Traver op
Lester Castellana op
Paul Schaeffer op
Peter Rogneholt op
Stephen Stewart op
Andy Beaton ppppp
Carles Ryhr pppp
Ken Knott pppp
Bob Eury ppp
Ian willey ppp
John Garlic ppp
Oscar Fernandez ppp
Alberto Griffa pp
Alexey Nikolov pp
David Huguet pp
Don Clevenger pp
Donald Holland pp
Federico Strazzari pp
Jeff Sewall pp
John Dietrich pp
John Lehman pp
Juanjo Estevan pp
Marc Hanna pp
Miguel Molina pp
Daniel Takai p
Dave Wardzala p
Fabio Mazzucchelli p
Ian Tuten p
Jason Paulus p
John Otrompke p
Jordan Kehrer p
Laurent Martin p
Magnus Rimvall p
Panu Kinnari p
Peter Palmer p
Roberto Alesse p
Rusty Shields p
Tuomo Lukkari p

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
C: Champion
S: Subchampion
s: Semifinalist
o: Overperformer (based on last round reached, and initial rank)
O: Best overperformer
p: Participation, with at least one completed game