CyberVASL XIII

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Dear all,

The next edition of CyberVASL is now open for sign-up. If you are interested in joining this tournament, please send an email to CyberVASL {at} outlook {dot} com (please be sure that you include exactly "CyberVASL XIII" in the subject of the email), indicating your real name and email. By doing so, you accept that I will use this information and pass it to others for the exclusive purposes of running the tournament.

All rules are below, but here is a summary:

• NEW: We go back to single elimination format. Most people liked the new league+playoffs format, but some were worried about the high gaming load. In addition, summer is near, so I decided to alternate formats: Spring, single elimination. Autumn: league+playoffs.
  • This edition will be limited to 32 participants, and will consequently have 5 rounds.
  • Currently, 19 participants have confirmed participation, so there are 13 free slots available.
  • The tournament will start as soon as the 32 slots are filled. In case vacancies still exist by 30th March, the tournament will start with the available players by this date.
  • All sign-ups must be done by email. Strict receiving time will determine participation in case the threshold of 32 players is reached.
  • I will give some "badges" to participating players, for achieving some targets. The purpose is only to add some spice to the tournament, with no other intention or implication.
  • After some complaints about the "good luck" of particular players, I decided to develop a tool capable of detecting cheating behavior, based on the logs of the game. Since it is not fully automated, each player will have some limited access to it, to ensure it is used with moderation. In particular, you can ask for an analysis of your current game, but if the tool fails in detecting cheats, then you will not be able to request it neither in this tournament nor the next one you are participating. Of course, if a player is detected cheating, he will be immediately expulsed from current and future tournaments. I hope this threat is enough to discourage all cheaters from participation, so hopefully I will not need to run the tool ever!

COMPLETE RULES:

• Each round, people will be paired, and only the winner of each game will continue in the tournament.
  • Default method of play is VASL PBEM, no optional rules and VASL dicebot. Other methods, rules or dice are allowed upon agreement of both players.
  • All games of a round must be completed no later than three months after the previous round finished. All games have to be running (i.e., both setups done, and turn 1 started) after one month from the start of the round.
  • Deadlines are NOT flexible. At the end of a round a winner must be declared. Failure to this will imply a double loss to both players. Please only sign up if you can send at least one log per day most of the time, as speed is very important when playing PBEM.
  • All pairings will be predetermined at the start of the tournament, and you will be allowed (and encouraged) to start your next round game as soon as you know who is your opponent. This will give you more time to complete the new game, as the three months period only starts once all games for the previous round are finished. I will try to regularly remind people about new games that can be started.
  • Depending on the number of players (and previous forfeits), it is possible that some players are not paired in a given round. In that case, those players will automatically advance to the next round. I will design pairings to avoid this to happen in the last rounds.
  • Pairings will be based on ELO ratings at the start of the tournament (computed with all past CyberVASL results), and will be designed in a way that best players will tend to play between them only in latest rounds.
  • If you feel that you are not going to have time to complete your game in time, please resign as soon as possible, to allow your opponent to start his new round game ASAP.
  • If your game is not finished, (or the game has not started after the first month) then the player more responsible of the delay should politely declare his opponent as the winner, no matter how the game was going.
  • All results (win/lose/forfeit) can be notified by either player, either by posting here or sending an email to CyberVASL {at} outlook {dot} com. In the latter case, please be sure that you include exactly "CyberVASL XIII" in the subject of the email. Please communicate in a similar way scenario and sides chosen, as well as the moment when you effectively started to play turn 1.
  • All games (except those not started after the first month) will count towards ELO ratings of the tournament.
  • In case a rules dispute appears, please consult the rulebook and the rules forum in GameSquad. Only when this doesn't clarify the answer, you can ask me for a decision. Both players should explain their point of view, with specific references to rules. In this respect, I maybe request advice from experienced players, who will also be responsible of deciding when the dispute affects one game in which I am playing.
  • Cheats: There is a tool capable of detecting several types of cheats in a given game, based on VASL logs. Any player can request its use for his current game, but if the tool fails to find cheating behavior, then the requesting player cannot use it neither for the rest of the tournament nor for the next one in which he participates. Detected cheating players will be immediately expulsed from all current and future CyberVASL tournaments.
Sign-up rules:

• The sign-up period will last until 30th March at most.
  • The number of players in this tenth edition will be limited to 32. Once this limit is reached, sign-up will immediately end, and first round will start
  • 19 participants have confirmed participation, so there are 13 free slots available.
  • In case the limit is reached before 30th March, new participants will be selected exclusively by the date and time in which sign-up emails were received.
Specific suggestions for selecting scenario and sides:

• ANY scenario can be chosen. Please take into account time availability of you and your opponent, to ensure that the scenario is small enough to be played by the deadline.
  • One of the purposes of the tournament is to encourage people to play against new opponents, in order to learn from them both in terms of rules and strategy.
  • Therefore, to encourage less experienced people to join, it is suggested that (when the players have different experience levels) the less experienced player selects 3-4 scenarios, and pass them to his opponent, who in turn selects one of them and randomize sides. In this way, less experienced players can adjust the scenario selection to their rules knowledge.
  • If both players have a similar experience level, then they can agree on any way they want.
  • To facilitate this procedure, all players will have an associated experience level (based on the ELO seed that determined pairings), that will be communicated when the pairings are done.
  • Please have a list of your 3-4 preferred scenarios prepared in advance, to avoid unnecessary delays.
Good luck to all!

Sergio

PD: List of current participants (up to 13th March):

Tom Arnold
Sergio Puente
Jay Elwell
Martin Kristensen
Alex Koestler
Steffen Knippel
Blake Ball
Jeremy Busby
Robert Mac Ginley
Ángel González
Juanjo Estevan
Tom Yetter
John Garlic
Vic Rosso
John Lehman
Javanabal Radjah
Maurizio Grassi
Bob Zinselmeyer
Jason Wert

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Sergio,

I sent you an email on March 15th opting in. I want to make sure that you have me on the list. Email is mike at pmcfla.com

Mike

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Yes Mike, you are in!

Updated list of participants, we will start in one or two days, last call!

Tom Arnold
Sergio Puente
Jay Elwell
Martin Kristensen
Alex Koestler
Bob Eury
Steffen Knippel
Blake Ball
Jeremy Busby
Mike Johnston
Jason Wert
Robert Mac Ginley
Ángel González
Juanjo Estevan
Tom Yetter
John Garlic
Vic Rosso
John Lehman
Javanabal Radjah
Maurizio Grassi
Bob Zinselmeyer

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Round 1 pairings:

Sergio Puente (Hero) -Javanabal Radjah (2nd line)
Tom Arnold (Hero) -John Garlic (2nd line)
Jay Elwell (Leader) -David Douglas (2nd line)
Alex Koestler (Elite) -Maurizio Grassi (2nd line)
Vic Rosso (1st line) -John Lehman (2nd line)
Robert Mac Ginley (1st line) -David Castander (2nd line)
Juanjo Estevan (1st line) -Tom Yetter (2nd line)

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi All

David and I are playing ASL Scen 137 (the old Annual 72 updated)- Italian Brothers - I am the nationalists - he is republicans and good old Spain 1937 is the setting - A few low morale troops and tins cans versus the Greens!

Having fun and will detail an outcome

Cheers

Rob :)

Nearmiss

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The French (Tom Arnold) were able to defeat Japanese (John Garlic) treachery in ASL-252, "Ultimate Treachery".
John hung in there to the bitter end despite several bad outcomes. Seems a good scenario for someone with
little experience with the Japanese.

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Round 2 just finished:

Sergio Puente (Hero) -Vic Rosso (1st line)
Tom Arnold (Hero) -Bob Zinselmeyer (1st line)
Jay Elwell (Leader) -Jason Wert (1st line)
Martin Kristensen (Leader) -David Castander (2nd line)
Alex Koestler (Elite) -Jeremy Busby (1st line)
Blake Ball (Elite) -Ángel González (1st line)
Bob Eury (Elite) -Tom Yetter (2nd line)
Steffen Knippel (Elite) -Mike Johnston (1st line)

We are in quarters now:

Sergio Puente (Hero) -Alex Koestler (Elite)
Tom Arnold (Hero) -Blake Ball (Elite)
Jay Elwell (Leader) -Tom Yetter (2nd line)
Martin Kristensen (Leader) -Mike Johnston (1st line)

SteffenK

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My Dutch could not hold off Mike Johnston's determined German cavalry in "Bring Up The Guns" (G7), an old classic.
We forgot our plan after the distractions of shifting from PBeM to live play and entertaining a kibitzing buddy. Lessons learned.

All the best to those moving on!

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
A lot of things happened since my last update. Semis were:

Alex Koestler (Elite) -Jay Elwell (Leader)
Blake Ball (Elite) -Mike Johnston (1st line)

And the final game is currently in play:

Jay Elwell (Leader) -Mike Johnston (1st line)

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
After a looong final game, this tourney finally has a winner: Mike Johnston, congrats!

Congrats also to the other finalist (Jay Elwell), and all the other participants!

Badges granted this tournament:

Mike Johnston COop
Jay Elwell Sop
Alex Koestler sop
Blake Ball sop
David Castander op
Tom Yetter op
Bob Eury p
Bob Zinselmeyer p
Bruno Javanabal p
Jason Wert p
Jeremy Busby p