CyberVASL XII

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Dear all,

A new edition of CyberVASL is now open for sign-up. If you are interested in joining this tournament, please send an email to CyberVASL {at} outlook {dot} com (please be sure that you include exactly "CyberVASL XII" in the subject of the email), indicating your real name, and email. By doing so, you accept that I will use this information and pass it to others for the exclusive purposes of running the tournament.

All rules are below, but here is a summary:

• NEW This time, there will be a previous league round before single elimination matches. Groups of 2-4 people, playing one game against each other player in the group. Best of each group will advance into the playoffs, which will be single-elimination as usual.
  • I will take sign-ups until 10th October. The tournament will start on 15th October with all players who signed up until 10th October.
  • All sign-ups must be done by email. No late sign-ups will be admitted.
  • I will give some "badges" to participating players, for achieving some targets. The purpose is only to add some spice to the tournament, with no other intention or implication.
  • After some complaints about the "good luck" of particular players, I decided to develop a tool capable of detecting cheating behavior, based on the logs of the game. Since it is not fully automated, each player will have some limited access to it, to ensure it is used with moderation. In particular, you can ask for an analysis of your current game, but if the tool fails in detecting cheats, then you will not be able to request it neither in this tournament nor the next one you are participating. Of course, if a player is detected cheating, he will be immediately expulsed from current and future tournaments. I hope this threat is enough to discourage all cheaters from participation, so hopefully I will not need to run the tool ever!

COMPLETE RULES:

• The tournament starts with a league phase: Players are grouped into small groups of 2-4 people (depending on total number of players). Groups will contain a maximum mix of skills.
  • In each group, each player should play a game against each other in the group. This means 1-3 games per player.
  • In order to give players time to complete this extra load of games, this league phase will last for 6 months.
  • Only first player in each group will advance into the playoffs. Only the number of wins count. Ties can ocurr; in that case, I will simply randomize among co-winners (I thought about other possibilities, but decided to keep it simple).
  • After that, in each playoff round, people will be paired, and only the winner of each game will continue in the tournament.
  • Default method of play is VASL PBEM, no optional rules and VASL dicebot. Other methods, rules or dice are allowed upon agreement of both players.
  • All games of a round must be completed no later than three months (six months in the league phase) after the previous round finished. All games have to be running (i.e., both setups done, and turn 1 started) after one month from the start of the round (in the league phase, at least one game running in the first month, and either one finished or all running by the second month).
  • Deadlines are NOT flexible. At the end of a round a winner must be declared. Failure to this will imply a double loss to both players. Please only sign up if you can send at least one log per day most of the time, as speed is very important when playing PBEM.
  • All pairings will be predetermined at the start of the tournament, and you will be allowed (and encouraged) to start your next round game as soon as you know who is your opponent. This will give you more time to complete the new game, as the three months period only starts once all games for the previous round are finished. I will try to regularly remind people about new games that can be started.
  • Depending on previous forfeits, it is possible that some players are not paired in a given round. In that case, those players will automatically advance to the next round.
  • Pairings will be based on ELO ratings computed at the start of the tournament, based on previous CyberVASL games played. League groups will be designed in a way that best players will tend to play between them only in latest rounds, i.e. groups will contain the maximum mix of skills.
  • If you feel that you are not going to have time to complete your game in time, please resign as soon as possible, to allow your opponent to start his new round game ASAP.
  • If your game is not finished, (or the game has not started after the first month) then the player more responsible of the delay should politely declare his opponent as the winner, no matter how the game was going.
  • All results (win/lose/forfeit) can be notified by either player, either by posting here or sending an email to CyberVASL {at} outlook {dot} com. In the latter case, please be sure that you include exactly "CyberVASL XII" in the subject of the email. Please communicate in a similar way scenario and sides chosen, as well as the moment when you effectively started to play turn 1.
  • All games (except those not started after the first month) will be reported to AREA/APCR/similar.
  • In case a rules dispute appears, please consult the rulebook and the rules forum in GameSquad. Only when this doesn't clarify the answer, you can ask me for a decision. Both players should explain their point of view, with specific references to rules. In this respect, I maybe request advice from experienced players, who will also be responsible of deciding when the dispute affects one game in which I am playing.
  • Cheats: There is a tool capable of detecting several types of cheats in a given game, based on VASL logs. Any player can request its use for his current game, but if the tool fails to find cheating behavior, then the requesting player cannot use it neither for the rest of the tournament nor for the next one in which he participates. Detected cheating players will be immediately expulsed from all current and future CyberVASL tournaments.
Sign-up rules:

• The sign-up period will last until 10th October at most.
  • Tournament will start not later than 15th October (league phase sheet is more complex to prepare, so I'm anticipating I will need more time to setup the tournament).
  • All sign ups must be done by email.
Specific suggestions for selecting scenario and sides:

• ANY scenario can be chosen. Please take into account time availability of you and your opponent, to ensure that the scenario is small enough to be played by the deadline.
  • One of the purposes of the tournament is to encourage people to play against new opponents, in order to learn from them both in terms of rules and strategy.
  • Therefore, to encourage less experienced people to join, it is suggested that (when the players have different experience levels) the less experienced player selects 3-4 scenarios, and pass them to his opponent, who in turn selects one of them and randomize sides. In this way, less experienced players can adjust the scenario selection to their rules knowledge.
  • If both players have a similar experience level, then they can agree on any way they want.
  • To facilitate this procedure, all players will have an associated experience level (based on ELO seed that determined pairings), that will be communicated when the pairings are done.
  • Please have a list of your 3-4 preferred scenarios prepared in advance, to avoid unnecessary delays.
Good luck to all!

Sergio

PD: List of current participants (up to 24th September):

David Gillies
Blake Ball
Martin Marquis
Alex Koestler
Pablo Garcia
Sergio Puente
Steffen Knippel
Jason Wert
Jeremy Busby
Scott Kippen
Rick Carter
Mike Johnston
Tom Arnold
Ángel González
Juanjo Estevan
Javanabal Radjah
Robert Mac Ginley
Jason Burnette
Ricardo García
Lester Castellana
Maurizio Grassi
Carles Ryhr
Jim Traver
David Castander

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi All

I really really love this new format - as a Person that loves PBEM (no time for live VASL let alone Ftf) - I have played 11 previous Cyber VASL's - lost every single game but with the close ones I would have loved to not be completely knocked out!!!

Cheers

Rob :)

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Updated list of participants:

David Gillies
Tom Arnold
Martin Marquis
Sergio Puente
Alex Koestler
Scott Kippen
Blake Ball
Jeremy Busby
Carles Ryhr
Steffen Knippel
Mike Johnston
Rick Carter
Jason Burnette
Jason Wert
Eduard Gonzalez
Robert Mac Ginley
Ángel González
Pablo Garcia
Juanjo Estevan
Javanabal Radjah
Ricardo García
Lester Castellana
Maurizio Grassi
Jim Traver
David Castander
John Lehman
Paul Schaeffer
Vic Rosso
Tom Yetter

29 players so far. It is unlikely to reach any number close to 64, so I probably cut sign ups at 32 (first emails received will take the three remaining seats). That way, (almost) all league groups will have 4 players.

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
You make your 32 yet? I will join if you still have space.
Last spot filled! jfardette, please send the required information to the tournament email. League groups will be set in a couple of days. I hope you all enjoy the new format!

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Awe jeez, I should have read more carefully. No PBEM for me. good news for the rest of you, one spot left!

cooljrunner

Reaction score
First name
Jay
Country
llUnited States
I'd love to take last spot if still available - email sent yesterday to the Cyber VASL email above.

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
CyberVASL XII is ready to go!

As I already announced, the new feature this time is a league phase, previous to playoffs.

This league phase will last for 6 months, with the following deadlines:
  • 14 Nov: At least one game running (i.e. turn 1 started)
  • 14 Dec: Either one game finished, or all games started
  • 14 Apr: All games finished
First player in each group will advance to the playoffs.

Remember that lower ranked player should suggest 3-4 scenarios, and then the other player selects one and randomizes sides. In the case of equal rank, you can use whatever method you want.

Please let me know scenario and sides once you have started your games. Have fun and roll low!

LEAGUE GROUPS AND PAIRINGS:

Group A:

David Gillies
Jason Burnette
Juanjo Estevan
Pablo Garcia

Games:

David Gillies (Hero)-Jason Burnette (1st line)
Juanjo Estevan (2nd line)-Pablo Garcia (2nd line)
David Gillies (Hero)-Juanjo Estevan (2nd line)
Jason Burnette (1st line)-Pablo Garcia (2nd line)
David Gillies (Hero)-Pablo Garcia (2nd line)
Jason Burnette (1st line)-Juanjo Estevan (2nd line)

Group B:

Tom Arnold
Donald Holland
Tom Yetter
Javanabal Radjah

Games:

Tom Arnold (Hero)-Donald Holland (1st line)
Tom Yetter (2nd line)-Javanabal Radjah (2nd line)
Tom Arnold (Hero)-Tom Yetter (2nd line)
Donald Holland (1st line)-Javanabal Radjah (2nd line)
Tom Arnold (Hero)-Javanabal Radjah (2nd line)
Donald Holland (1st line)-Tom Yetter (2nd line)

Group C:

Jay Elwell
Mike Johnston
Ricardo García
Lester Castellana

Games:

Jay Elwell (Leader)-Mike Johnston (1st line)
Ricardo García (2nd line)-Lester Castellana (2nd line)
Jay Elwell (Leader)-Ricardo García (2nd line)
Mike Johnston (1st line)-Lester Castellana (2nd line)
Jay Elwell (Leader)-Lester Castellana (2nd line)
Mike Johnston (1st line)-Ricardo García (2nd line)

Group D:

Martin Marquis
Eduard Gonzalez
John Garlic
Jim Traver

Games:

Martin Marquis (Leader)-Eduard Gonzalez (1st line)
John Garlic (2nd line)-Jim Traver (2nd line)
Martin Marquis (Leader)-John Garlic (2nd line)
Eduard Gonzalez (1st line)-Jim Traver (2nd line)
Martin Marquis (Leader)-Jim Traver (2nd line)
Eduard Gonzalez (1st line)-John Garlic (2nd line)

Group E:

Blake Ball
Carles Ryhr
Vic Rosso
Maurizio Grassi

Games:

Blake Ball (Elite)-Carles Ryhr (1st line)
Vic Rosso (2nd line)-Maurizio Grassi (2nd line)
Blake Ball (Elite)-Vic Rosso (2nd line)
Carles Ryhr (1st line)-Maurizio Grassi (2nd line)
Blake Ball (Elite)-Maurizio Grassi (2nd line)
Carles Ryhr (1st line)-Vic Rosso (2nd line)

Group F:

Alex Koestler
Steffen Knippel
David Castander
Paul Schaeffer

Games:

Alex Koestler (Elite)-Steffen Knippel (1st line)
David Castander (2nd line)-Paul Schaeffer (2nd line)
Alex Koestler (Elite)-David Castander (2nd line)
Steffen Knippel (1st line)-Paul Schaeffer (2nd line)
Alex Koestler (Elite)-Paul Schaeffer (2nd line)
Steffen Knippel (1st line)-David Castander (2nd line)

Group G:

Scott Kippen
Jason Wert
Robert Mac Ginley
Bob Zinselmeyer

Games:

Scott Kippen (Elite)-Jason Wert (1st line)
Robert Mac Ginley (2nd line)-Bob Zinselmeyer (2nd line)
Scott Kippen (Elite)-Robert Mac Ginley (2nd line)
Jason Wert (1st line)-Bob Zinselmeyer (2nd line)
Scott Kippen (Elite)-Bob Zinselmeyer (2nd line)
Jason Wert (1st line)-Robert Mac Ginley (2nd line)

Group H:

Jeremy Busby
Rick Carter
John Lehman
Ángel González

Games:

Jeremy Busby (Elite)-Rick Carter (1st line)
John Lehman (2nd line)-Ángel González (2nd line)
Jeremy Busby (Elite)-John Lehman (2nd line)
Rick Carter (1st line)-Ángel González (2nd line)
Jeremy Busby (Elite)-Ángel González (2nd line)
Rick Carter (1st line)-John Lehman (2nd line)

Big Noodle

Yooper Lunatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tom Arnold, if your out there drop me an e-mail. the start of my e-mail should be bignoodle not bigoodle.

RZasl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In Group G, Robert MacGinley (Defending Germans) and Bob Zinselmeyer (Attacking Americans) have begun DB116 - Takin' Eibertingen.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Paul Schaeffer (Germans) and Alex Koestler (French) just finished a round F game, playing DTF2-Blitzkrieg. Our personal morale fluctuated wildly with the Germans looking very dominant early, then the French tanks turned it nicely and the French looked likely to both of us to have it in the bag. The last two turns saw a fairly desperate German push that led to the expected slaughter in too few instances and the Germans ran into the final VC with enough numbers to take the win. Very fun scenario!

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Quarterfinals:

Pablo Garcia (2nd line) -Vic Rosso (2nd line)
Tom Arnold (Hero) -Paul Schaeffer (2nd line)
Jay Elwell (Leader) -Bob Zinselmeyer (2nd line)
Martin Marquis (Leader) -Jeremy Busby (Elite)

Nearmiss

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Paul Schaeffer will be the attacking Germans in BFP-124, "The Tanks of Warsaw". Tom Arnold will be the Polish defender trying
desperately to blunt the 4th Panzers spearheads.

Nearmiss

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The 4th Panzer now lays in ruins in the streets of Warsaw. The Polish (Tom Arnold) defeated the Germans (Paul Schaeffer) with
numerous timely AT Gun shots and an overly active sniper.

Thanks for a great game Paul!

Reaction score
First name
Ricardo
Country
llSpain
My German forces (Ricardo Garcia) managed somehow to hold the hamlet of Cahier facing really brave British forces (Mike Johnston) from the A company, 1st Ox & Bucks, in "J72 Cahier Carriers". Mike was a real tough opponent to beat, and only some luck on my side allowed me to stop his men. It's been a fun game to play!

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Semifinals (as usual, I forgot to post them here):

Vic Rosso (2nd line) -Jay Elwell (Leader)
Tom Arnold (Hero) -Martin Marquis (Leader)

Vic won his game, and is already in the final. Tom vs. Martin should be close to finish.