CyberVASL VIII

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Dear all,

The eighth edition of CyberVASL is now open for sign-up. If you are interested in joining this tournament, please send an email to CyberVASL {at} outlook {dot} com (please be sure that you include exactly "CyberVASL VIII" in the subject of the email), indicating your real name, your personal ID code in the AREA webpage (http://www.asl-area.org/), and email. By doing so, you accept that I will use this information and pass it to others for the exclusive purposes of running the tournament.

All rules are below, but here is a summary:

- This eighth edition will be limited to 32 participants, and will consequently have 5 rounds.
- Currently, 25 participants have confirmed participation, so there are 7 free slots available.
- The tournament will start as soon as the 32 slots are filled. In case vacancies still exist by 2nd October, the tournament will start with the available players by this date.
- All sign-ups must be done by email. Strict receiving time will determine participation in case the threshold of 32 players is reached.
- I will give some "badges" to participating players, for achieving some targets. The purpose is only to add some spice to the tournament, with no other intention or implication.

COMPLETE RULES:

- Each round, people will be paired, and only the winner of each game will continue in the tournament.
- Default method of play is VASL PBEM, no optional rules and VASL dicebot. Other methods, rules or dice are allowed upon agreement of both players.
- All games of a round must be completed no later than three months after the previous round finished. All games have to be running (i.e., both setups done, and turn 1 started) after one month from the start of the round.
- Deadlines are NOT flexible. At the end of a round a winner must be declared. Failure to this will imply a double loss to both players. Please only sign up if you can send at least one log per day most of the time, as speed is very important when playing PBEM.
- All pairings will be predetermined at the start of the tournament, and you will be allowed (and encouraged) to start your next round game as soon as you know who is your opponent. This will give you more time to complete the new game, as the three months period only starts once all games for the previous round are finished. I will try to regularly remind people about new games that can be started.
- Depending on the number of players (and previous forfeits), it is possible that some players are not paired in a given round. In that case, those players will automatically advance to the next round. I will design pairings to avoid this to happen in the last rounds.
- Pairings will be based on AREA ratings at the start of the tournament, and will be designed in a way that best players will tend to play between them only in latest rounds.
- If you feel that you are not going to have time to complete your game in time, please resign as soon as possible, to allow your opponent to start his new round game ASAP.
- If your game is not finished, (or the game has not started after the first month) then the player more responsible of the delay should politely declare his opponent as the winner, no matter how the game was going.
- All results (win/lose/forfeit) can be notified by either player, either by posting here or sending an email to CyberVASL {at} outlook {dot} com. In the latter case, please be sure that you include exactly "CyberVASL VIII" in the subject of the email. Please communicate in a similar way scenario and sides chosen, as well as the moment when you effectively started to play turn 1.
- All games (except those not started after the first month) will be reported to AREA.
- In case a rules dispute appears, please consult the rulebook and the rules forum in GameSquad. Only when this doesn't clarify the answer, you can ask me for a decision. Both players should explain their point of view, with specific references to rules. In this respect, I will have the help of a very experienced player (Brian Wiersma), who will also be the responsible of deciding when the dispute affects one game in which I am playing.

Sign-up rules:

- The sign-up period will last until 2nd October at most.
- The number of players in this fifth edition will be limited to 32. Once this limit is reached, sign-up will immediately end, and first round will start
- 25 participants have confirmed participation, so there are 7 free slots available.
- In case the limit is reached before 2nd October, new participants will be selected exclusively by the date and time in which sign-up emails were received.

Specific suggestions for selecting scenario and sides:

- ANY scenario can be chosen. Please take into account time availability of you and your opponent, to ensure that the scenario is small enough to be played by the deadline.
- One of the purposes of the tournament is to encourage people to play against new opponents, in order to learn from them both in terms of rules and strategy.
- Therefore, to encourage less experienced people to join, it is suggested that (when the players have different experience levels) the less experienced player selects 3-4 scenarios, and pass them to his opponent, who in turn selects one of them and randomize sides. In this way, less experienced players can adjust the scenario selection to their rules knowledge.
- If both players have a similar experience level, then they can agree on any way they want.
- To facilitate this procedure, all players will have an associated experience level (based on the AREA seed that determined pairings), that will be communicated when the pairings are done.
- Please have a list of your 3-4 preferred scenarios prepared in advance, to avoid unnecessary delays.

Good luck to all!

Sergio

PD: List of current participants (up to 11th September):

Lionel Colin
Will Fleming
Bruno Nitrosso
David Gillies
Blake Ball
Alex Koestler
Martin Marquis
Sergio Puente
Anatoly Sizov
Ian willey
Eduard González
Jeff Buser
Jason Wert
Tom Arnold
Warren Smith Jr.
Rick Carter
Mike Johnston
Gary Bartlett
Jason Burnette
Angel Gonzalez
Magnus Rimvall
Robert Mac Ginley
Ivan Kent
Pierce Mason
Rodney Ding

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Updated list of participants:

Lionel Colin
Will Fleming
Bruno Nitrosso
David Gillies
Blake Ball
Patrick Palma
Alex Koestler
Martin Marquis
Sergio Puente
Martin Kristensen
Anatoly Sizov
Ian willey
Eduard González
Jeff Buser
Jason Wert
Tom Arnold
Warren Smith Jr.
Jeremy Busby
Rick Carter
Mike Johnston
Gary Bartlett
Jeff Sewall
Jason Burnette
Ángel González
Magnus Rimvall
Robert Mac Ginley
Ivan Kent
Roy Connelly
Rodney Ding
Panu Kinnari
Alan Krause

Just one remaining slot!

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Ok, the event is full now. Pairings will follow shortly. Have fun all!

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
And we are off!

First round pairings:

Will Fleming (Hero) -Tom Arnold (2nd line)
Lionel Colin (Hero) -Jeff Sewall (2nd line)
Bruno Nitrosso (Leader) -Rick Carter (2nd line)
David Gillies (Leader) -Warren Smith Jr. (2nd line)
Alex Koestler (Elite) -Magnus Rimvall (2nd line)
Martin Marquis (Elite) -Alan Krause (2nd line)
Blake Ball (Elite) -Mike Johnston (2nd line)
Patrick Palma (Elite) -Panu Kinnari (2nd line)
Martin Kristensen (1st line) -Gary Bartlett (2nd line)
Jason Wert (1st line) -Jeremy Busby (2nd line)
Ian willey (1st line) -Robert Mac Ginley (2nd line)
Scott Kippen (1st line) -Ángel González (2nd line)
Eduard González (1st line) -Rodney Ding (2nd line)
Jeff Buser (1st line) -Jason Burnette (2nd line)
Anatoly Sizov (1st line) -Roy Connelly (2nd line)
Sergio Puente (1st line) -Ivan Kent (2nd line)

Remember that lower rank player should suggest 3-4 scenarios, and the other player chooses and randomizes sides.

Deadlines:

- 28 October: Games started (i.e. both setups done and turn 1 already ongoing)
- 28 December: Games finished

Have fun!

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks like Tom Arnold's British will be attacking my Germans in O3 "A Frosty Morning". Hopefully the paratroopers did not bring anything that will keep them warm when the time for their MC's arrive.

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Ian And I will scrap it out in LFT184 - Chapel Hill - My Russkies shall prevail.......

Rob:D

prekarius

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I am trying to hold the doors shut as Germans against Patricks eager Canadian churchgoers in G35.

First blood has been drawn...

buser333

Reaction score
Jason Burnette and I are squaring off in FT172 - Getting Your Bell Rung. I'm the defending Germans and he has the Allies.

Jeff Sewall

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lionel Colin and I are playing BoF2 A Polish Requiem. I have the attacking Germans and Lionel has the defending Poles.

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anatoly Sizov and I are playing J155 It's Hardly Fair. I have the Germans.

jbusby

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jason Wert and I are playing J189 Buckley's Block. I've got the US Marines on defense.

Nearmiss

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Congratulations to Will Fleming (Germans) for defeating Tom Arnold (Brits) in O-3, A Frosty Morning. I learned a few things and was able to observe a superior player in action.

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anatoly Sizov's Americans have defeated Roy Connelly's Germans in J155 It's Hardly Fair.

I played even more poorly than usual, Anatoly played wisely. Congratulations to him!

Thanks

Martin

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Martin Kristensen's Germans defeated Gary Bartlett's Poles in BFP114 Engineering Defeat. Gary put up a stiff fight but could have had more luck with his FT and MG's. On the other hand he was great at rolling for the German side in CC's :) Thanks for an enjoyable game! Martin

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Second round pairings:

Will Fleming (Hero) -Martin Kristensen (1st line)
Lionel Colin (Hero) -Jeremy Busby (2nd line)
Bruno Nitrosso (Leader) -Ian willey (1st line)
Warren Smith Jr. (2nd line) -Ángel González (2nd line)
Alex Koestler (Elite) -Rodney Ding (2nd line)
Martin Marquis (Elite) -Jeff Buser (1st line)
Blake Ball (Elite) -Anatoly Sizov (1st line)
Patrick Palma (Elite) -Sergio Puente (1st line)

Deadlines:

30 January: Games started
30 March: Games finished

jbusby

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lionel and I are playing BFP 27, "Chapei Chockblock" I have the Chinese on defense.

Martin

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Martin Kristensen's Marines failed to break through William Fleming's Japanese lines in AP10 "Closing the net". In spite of an initial kicking in of the door, with the best Jap leader eliminated, - a lack of flanking moves and a too cautious advance combined with William's experienced fall back defense doomed the eager Marines.
Thanks for an exiting game and good luck in the next round!
Martin

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Martin is being kind. We got robbed of a close finish by the dice (with Martin having the edge IMHO). Maybe 6-10 critical shots in the end game, but I got 2 snakes, and 2 3's on the marines. To add insult to injury, one of the K/# results hit 3+ units on a tie in random selection. Add in the fact that his 10-2 could not roll less than a 9 on a morale check and it was just too much to overcome.

I am competitive and like to win, but prefer it not to be from simply rolling too many low DR/dr and would rather 'pretend' I had some skill at this game.

lionelc62

Reaction score
First name
Lionel
Country
llFrance
Hi All,

PBEM question

With Martin M (we are already playing round 3 because we finished our games early) we are playing BFP 101 Panzer spirit.
I sent a log where I make a SAN roll for Martin late in the log (I forgot it in the first place). I forgot to mention this late SAN in my email and Martin seeing the forgotten SAN roll it (a 1) again. He saw later my own SAN roll (a 2).

In this case which SAN do we have to use ?

Note : It's just to know what should be done in the future, we will both accept the results.

Lionel