CyberVASL VII

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Sergio

Rodney Ding (Canadians) defeated Will Fleming (Germans) in J190 Trial Run

Probably a bit pro-Canadian (now reflected in the additional playings since we started) and not helped with some combination of rolls (1,1 CH followed up by a 1,1 effects roll to effectively clear the path to victory and break the German commander's morale).

The trick to this one is probably to take the route through the gully and stay out of LOS from Germans on the hill and then pop out near the exit edge at the same time to send a flanking force to stop a wholesale withdrawal of German troops to cover that gully.

Thanks for the game Will

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Dear Rod

The trick in any game with you is to prepare for 1,1 which you love to roll as well as 1,2 and 1,3 or any combination that is <6!!!!!!o_O

CHeers

Rob:happy:

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I forgot to post here pairings for round D, here they are:

Bruno Nitrosso (Hero) -Tom Arnold (1st line)
Lionel Colin (Hero) -Jeff Buser (1st line)
Martin Marquis (Leader) -Gary Bartlett (2nd line)
Will Fleming (Leader) -Rodney Ding (2nd line)
Alex Koestler (Elite) -Michael Rodgers (1st line)
Ivan Kent (2nd line) -Blake Ball (1st line)
David Gillies (Elite) -Eduard González (1st line)
Sergio Puente (Elite) -Jason Burnette (2nd line)

Half games finished, half ongoing. Deadline: 3-oct-2017

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Pairings for Round C:

Tom Arnold (1st line) -Michael Rodgers (1st line)
Lionel Colin (Hero) -Blake Ball (1st line)
Martin Marquis (Leader) -David Gillies (Elite)
Rodney Ding (2nd line) -Sergio Puente (Elite)

Deadline:

3 nov 2017: Games started
3 jan 2017: Games finished

Nearmiss

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tom Arnold will take the Germans against Michael Rodgers and his U.S. paratroops in J-193 "Raff's Rules."

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
It seems that (as usual) I forgot to post here semifinals (already finished):

Michael Rodgers (1st line) -David Gillies (Elite)
Lionel Colin (Hero) -Rodney Ding (2nd line)

And now, the final game is set:

David Gillies (Elite) -Lionel Colin (Hero)

Deadlines:

Game started: 2 february
Game finished: 2 april

lionelc62

Reaction score
First name
Lionel
Country
llFrance
It seems that (as usual) I forgot to post here semifinals (already finished):

Michael Rodgers (1st line) -David Gillies (Elite)
Lionel Colin (Hero) -Rodney Ding (2nd line)

And now, the final game is set:

David Gillies (Elite) -Lionel Colin (Hero)

Deadlines:

Game started: 2 february
Game finished: 2 april
With David, we are playing 'Mormal Forest' from the last FrF pack.

I am the French in this scenario.

Regards
Lionel

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
And we have a "new" winner, Lionel Colin!!!!

Well, new in the sense of different from previous tournament...in terms of history of the tournament, Lionel has now more tournaments than all other players jointly :)

Subchampion: David Gillies

An AAR will follow, from which I know we all can learn a lot.

Badges granted in CyberVASL VII (C: Champion, S: Subchampion, s: semifinalist, O: Best overperformer, o: overperformer, p: one game completed):

Lionel Colin Cop
David Gillies Sop
Rodney Ding sOop
Michael Rodgers sop
Blake Ball op
Gary Bartlett op
Ivan Kent op
Jason Burnette op
Tom Arnold op
Alex Koestler p
Anatoly Sizov p
Ángel González p
Brad Hampson p
Eduard González p
Ian willey p
Jason Wert p
Jeff Buser p
Martin Marquis p
Rick Carter p
Robert Mac Ginley p
Sergio Puente p
Warren Smith Jr. p
Will Fleming p

Total badges in tournament history:

Lionel Colin CCCCSOoooopppppp
Brian Wiersma CSoppp
Tom Arnold COoopp
Patrick Palma COop
David Gillies SSsOoooppppp
Jon Cole SssOoooppp
Jeff Buser Sopp
Laurent Tinture Sopp
Sergio Puente ssoopppppp
John Bock sOOoopp
Rick Carter sOopppp
Russell Dewhurst sOopp
Jay Elwell sOop
Mario Aceto sOop
Rodney Ding sOop
Martin Marquis soopppppp
Michael Rodgers sop
Sebastian Hummel spp
Ángel González Oooppppppp
Anatoly Sizov Ooopppp
Jason Wert Ooppppp
Bob Kummeth Oop
Warren Smith Jr. oopppp
Mike Johnston ooppp
Robert Mac Ginley oppppppp
Ivan Kent opppppp
Pierce Mason oppppp
Blake Ball oppp
Jason Burnette oppp
Andreas Hinz opp
Brad Hampson opp
Doug Fitch opp
Erik Lindblad opp
Gary Bartlett opp
Paul Franklin-Bihary opp
Scott Kippen opp
Stephen Stewart op
Will Fleming pppppp
Andy Beaton ppppp
Eduard González ppppp
Alex Koestler pppp
Bruno Nitrosso pppp
Ken Knott ppp
Oscar Fernandez ppp
Alberto Griffa pp
David Huguet pp
Don Clevenger pp
Federico Strazzari pp
John Dietrich pp
Miguel Molina pp
Carles Ryhr p
Daniel Takai p
Ian Tuten p
Ian willey p
Jason Paulus p
Jordan Kehrer p
Laurent Martin p
Marc Hanna p
Peter Palmer p
Roy Connelly p
Rusty Shields p

I hope all of you had fun with your games, see you in current and future tournaments!

Sergio

lionelc62

Reaction score
First name
Lionel
Country
llFrance
The final match of Cybervasl VII has been played between David and me playing on the scenario FrF 87 Mormal Forest from FrF pack 11.

The dice gave me the Frenches.

Below the setup and pregame thinking (done partly after the game so I may appear smarter than I am in reality ) :

FRF88 setup.JPG

In this scenario the Germans can used 3 different ways to attack.

- North of the large wood on board 42, this area must be defended to avoid a rush by the German ht.

- In the wood

- On board 63.

They don’t have any qualitative or number advantages (14 squads on each side, 50 % elite). Their main advantage lays in the 5 ht that can swarm any defense.

I think that with the 105 Art and 37 AT on the hill and the possibilities for the ht to surround it, building 63T6 is very difficult to defend. Therefore, my goal was in this scenario to keep the 2 buildings on board 42. The forces on board 63 were here to slow the German and avoid a wide move to the rear of board 42 French defense.

North of the wood, the defense is based on 2 R35s and the HMG +8-0 in V2 (1st level). V1 is a dummy. Y6 is garrisoned by a hs. A squad in R4 is here to place a residual on the road if the German haltracks try to rush to T6 building.

In the Wood : The main part of my forces are here, because it’s a central position and because I think that the German may be stopped here if enough forces are deployed. 6.5 squads are on the front with the 9-1. The MTR 60 is in R9 to fire on the hill, a good setup area for the 105 ART and the 37 AT. These guns are not emplaced so the MTR 60 with its rof 3 and IFT 4-1 DRM resolution may be able to quickly silence them with a bit of luck. The 75 is setup in 42 Q9, a place where it is obliged to see a lot of action and not visible from the hill.

On board 63, The building T6 is defended by 4,5 squads. The goal of this force is to resist enough time to avoid any continuation of the attack towards 42T10. It is also strong enough to necessitate a large German force to be taken out. To defend against a blitz attack I put the 25 LL gun in 63R9.

David’s Germans choose to attack heavily on board 63 with a force of around 6 squads in the wood.

lionelc62

Reaction score
First name
Lionel
Country
llFrance
GT1 :

On board 63, the Germans conducted an armored assault and they finished their first move nicely parked in front of my 25 LL gun. In the DFPh and the following prep 1 ht was destroyed and on immob by the gun

In the wood, the Germans advances without taking risks and advance in contact at the end of the turn.

With no Germans on the northern side of the woods, my HMG and the 2 R35 move to the wood to strengthen the defense.

The French MTr breaks the 105art crew in I3 but breaks later under fire. I take the risk of advancing a full squad on the MTr hex to recover it.

Situation at the beginning of turn 2
FRF88 turn 2.JPG

GT2

The German Mtr achieved a K against the squad manning the mortar and one 37l killed another hs on board 63.

David sends two halftracks to the rear of board’s 63 building, out of LOS of the 25LLAT. The infantry slowly advances towards the building with some difficulties due to their TEM 0 against French TEM+3.

David make a good attack on the south edge of the wood defended by a 458 +lmg+9-1. He tries to freeze me with a ht but the ht was destroyed. He then sent forces in front of the hex that were not damaged by my def and lastly, he sent a hs in P0 to block my rout. I didn’t manage to broke this hs and I had to show the gun in Q9 to deal with this threat.

During my turn the 2 R25 moved to blocking positions in the wod and my defense fell back 2 hexes. The 2 R35 that arrived in reinforcement were sent on board 63 to deal with the 2 ht . They were attacked by the German aircraft that did no damage!

Situation at the beFRF88 turn 3.JPG ginning of turn 3

_Fury_

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi All,

As the German side in this match, let me add a bit of color. First, thanks to Lionel for a fun game and some great competition. Second, this scenario is highly recommended by me and I think can be played from either side without balance.

My plan was to push through the woods with the elite troops, the flame thrower (manned by 9-1) and elite squad with DC. In combination I chose to take the church on board 63 with armored assault, with some passengers who would eventually exit the HT's taking the ATR, and perhaps trying to flank the far objective.

I setup the 105 on the wooded hill. Not really a better place. My plan was to have my MTR there to deal with the French MTR and save the 105. I would use smoke from the 105 to keep it shrouded from mtr fire until my infantry could deal with the French MTR properly. Of course, I had no smoke on the first shot. The 37mm AT was on the road with a HT and my intent was to tow it along the road to a better position, perhaps to deal with the French reinforcements. Later I used this HT in an ill-fated bypass freeze which discovered Lionel's 75 (great position BTW) and pushed the AT up the road for a better angle. Overall, should have started the AT on the hill, perhaps even on level 1 if the LOS was reasonable.

Initial images posted by Lionel show grain, but the May timeframe indicated plowed fields. Both of us understood this at the beginning however, and we changed the map later on.

lionelc62

Reaction score
First name
Lionel
Country
llFrance
GT3
In prep the 105 killed a squad near T6 building.
Behind the T6 buildings, a 37 L ht in U9 started a loooong duel with the 2 R35s, immobilizing one (TC passed). The other R35 fired on the other ht in V8 without results and its mg created a hero in V7.
A stack composed of a 8-1 and 1.5 squads reached the board 63 village and finished in 63 R4. I encircled them on my game turn
David tried an Assault in the wood in hexes P8-P9 but the assault was sent back by point blank fires from the 75Art, the R35 in Q9 and the fire from the 3 squads in Q8 – Q9. The Germans advanced a squad and a hs in contact at the end of the turn in these hexes. Skulking during my turn in the woods would have condemned my ART gun, so I chose to prep fire on them. They broke under the hail of fire.
The ht in 63U9 managed to shock one R35 but it recovered from shock on turn 4.
I recovered the Mtr 60 during the RPh of my player turn (I didn’t try to recover the MTR60 duriong the German turn to keep concealment during its preps). He managed to break again the crew of the 105 Art.
At the end of the turn I advanced a ‘sacrified’ hs in P8 and a concealed squad in P7 to slow its attack.

Situation at the end of turn 3
FRF88 end of  turn 3.JPG
GT4
At this stage of the game I was happy with the situation in the wood. My main resisitance line with th 75 ART was still ok and cannot be attacked directly on this turn. On board 63 the situation was slowly deteriorating but enough French troops were left to blocked the Germans there.

lionelc62

Reaction score
First name
Lionel
Country
llFrance
GT4

In prep the 37 L Ht finally won the duel, shocking again the immo R35 and killing the other R35.

The board 63 village was attacked from 3 sides with both sides taking loses, at the end of the turn only the T6 building was still firmly in French hands.

In the wood, a DC squad tried to attack the gun but the Art managed to achieve a CH (a 7 was needed) and to CR it. My squad in P7 was killed in CC but otherwise most German troops left were broken except for 1.5 squads a ft and the 9-1 leader in hex 42 P7.

During my turn, I killed the 838 in O2 with fires from the art gun and the HMG/8-1. I skulked in the wood to avoid a FT fire during the Mph . The new resistance line was established one hex behind the gun in Q9 to avoid a FT prep fire. I advanced a concealed hs in contact of the FT. The Germans in P7 can fire on them and not move or move and risk and encirclement in Q7 or Q8.

Situation beginning of turn 5

FRF88 beginning of turn 5.JPG

Lionel

lionelc62

Reaction score
First name
Lionel
Country
llFrance
GT 5-6

On board 63, the German 37 ht moved to freeze my troops in T6 building, he succeeded but was immo in the process. My forces here crumbled under the German assault but not before turn 6.

In the wood a hs finally managed to place the DC on the 75 art in Q9 broken it. The squads and leader that advanced in 42Q8 were broken, encircled and FTR.

On my game turn I moved back to defend the 2 VCs buildings.

David resigned on turn 6, with the second building out of reach of its Grmans.

Situation at the end of GT5
FRF88 beginning of turn 6.JPG

Some notes :

- David’s dice have been pretty cold especially for rallying troops during this game.

- I think that an attack on a wider front on board 42 could have given a better result. I was always able to concentrate the defense and deliver 12/16+0 fires on coming Germans, a single ht with a hs parked on board 42 will have force my French to defend Y6 building.

- It’s a very good scenario with replayability !

- I enjoyed very much this game against a good and friendly opponent !

- Thank you, Sergio, for organizing this tournament, I know it’s a lot of work!

- I hope that some players found this AAR interesting, it is a time-consuming job especially for a non native English speaker.

Now on to Cybervasl VIII

Lionel

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Nice AAR! Besides particular strategies used in the scenario, I learned a couple of tactical tips I will for sure use in my future games...

Glad to see you enjoyed the game, that is the main purpose of the tournament. See you on future tournaments!

Sergio