CyberVASL V

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Dear all,

The fifth edition of CyberVASL is now open for sign-up. If you are interested in joining this tournament, please send an email to CyberVASL {at} outlook {dot} com (please be sure that you include exactly "CyberVASL V" in the subject of the email), indicating your real name, your personal ID code in the AREA webpage (http://www.asl-area.org/), and email. By doing so, you accept that I will use this information and pass it to others for the exclusive purposes of running the tournament.

All rules are below, but here is a summary:

- This fifth edition will be limited to 32 participants, and will consequently have 5 rounds.
- Currently, 20 participants (see below) of the fourth edition have confirmed participation, so there are only 12 free slots available.
- The tournament will start as soon as the 32 slots are filled. In case vacancies still exist by 31th March, the tournament will start with the available players by this date.
- All sign-ups must be done by email. Strict receiving time will determine participation in case the threshold of 32 players is reached.
- I will give some "badges" to participating players, for achieving some targets. The purpose is only to add some spice to the tournament, with no other intention or implication.

COMPLETE RULES:

- Each round, people will be paired, and only the winner of each game will continue in the tournament.
- Default method of play is VASL PBEM, no optional rules and VASL dicebot. Other methods, rules or dice are allowed upon agreement of both players.
- All games of a round must be completed no later than three months after the previous round finished. All games have to be running (i.e., both setups done, and turn 1 started) after one month from the start of the round.
- Deadlines are NOT flexible. At the end of a round a winner must be declared. Failure to this will imply a double loss to both players. Please only sign up if you can send at least one log per day most of the time, as speed is very important when playing PBEM.
- All pairings will be predetermined at the start of the tournament, and you will be allowed (and encouraged) to start your next round game as soon as you know who is your opponent. This will give you more time to complete the new game, as the three months period only starts once all games for the previous round are finished. I will try to regularly remind people about new games that can be started.
- Depending on the number of players (and previous forfeits), it is possible that some players are not paired in a given round. In that case, those players will automatically advance to the next round. I will design pairings to avoid this to happen in the last rounds.
- Pairings will be based on AREA ratings at the start of the tournament, and will be designed in a way that best players will tend to play between them only in latest rounds.
- If you feel that you are not going to have time to complete your game in time, please resign as soon as possible, to allow your opponent to start his new round game ASAP.
- If your game is not finished, (or the game has not started after the first month) then the player more responsible of the delay should politely declare his opponent as the winner, no matter how the game was going.
- All results (win/lose/forfeit) can be notified by either player, either by posting here or sending an email to CyberVASL {at} outlook {dot} com. In the latter case, please be sure that you include exactly "CyberVASL V" in the subject of the email. Please communicate in a similar way scenario and sides chosen, as well as the moment when you effectively started to play turn 1.
- All games (except those not started after the first month) will be reported to AREA.
- In case a rules dispute appears, please consult the rulebook and the rules forum in GameSquad. Only when this doesn't clarify the answer, you can ask me for a decision. Both players should explain their point of view, with specific references to rules. In this respect, I will have the help of a very experienced player (Brian Wiersma), who will also be the responsible of deciding when the dispute affects one game in which I am playing.

Sign-up rules:

- The sign-up period will last until 31th March at most.
- The number of players in this fifth edition will be limited to 32. Once this limit is reached, sign-up will immediately end, and first round will start
- 20 players from previous CyberVASL tournament have already confirmed participation. Hence, there are 12 free seats for new participants.
- In case the limit is reached before 31th March, new participants will be selected exclusively by the date and time in which sign-up emails were received.

Specific suggestions for selecting scenario and sides:

- ANY scenario can be chosen. Please take into account time availability of you and your opponent, to ensure that the scenario is small enough to be played by the deadline.
- One of the purposes of the tournament is to encourage people to play against new opponents, in order to learn from them both in terms of rules and strategy.
- Therefore, to encourage less experienced people to join, it is suggested that (when the players have different experience level) the less experienced player selects 3-4 scenarios, and pass them to his opponent, who in turn selects one of them and randomize sides. In this way, less experienced players can adjust the scenario selection to their rules knowledge.
- If both players have a similar experience level, then they can agree on any way they want.
- To facilitate this procedure, all players will have an associated experience level (based on the AREA seed that determined pairings), that will be communicated when the pairings are done.
- Please have a list of your 3-4 preferred scenarios prepared in advance, to avoid unnecessary delays.

Good luck to all!

Sergio

PD1 (list of confirmed participants from previous tournament):

These are the players that already confirmed participation in CyberVASL V:

Will Fleming
Alex Koestler
Martin Marquis
Eduard González
Sergio Puente
Patrick Palma
David Gillies
Rick Carter
Rusty Shields
Ivan Kent
Andy Beaton
John Bock
Ángel González
Robert Mac Ginley
Pierce Mason
David Huguet
Federico Strazzari
Anatoly Sizov
Warren Smith Jr.
Mike Johnston

PD2 (Overlapping tournaments)

Some people asked about the overlapping feature of CyberVASL, so I explain it here:

A new CyberVASL tournament starts every six months (at the end of March and September, usually). By the time a new tournament is about to start, 75% of players are already eliminated from the previous tournament. But for the other 25%, they still play the previous tournament. Hence, if they join the new one, they must play two parallel games, one for each tournament. This is not a problem as long as the player can keep the pace in both games.

With the extension of the tournament to 32 players, it is even possible to play in three diferent tournaments simultaneously, as the expected duration of each tournament is roughly 1.25 years. This could happen at most to a 6.25% of players.

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi All

My 2 cents worth is its a great service and a great tourney - I have met some great players who often will do more than one with you - the official one and a few later if your like me and do lots of VASL PBEM

So its attractive at many levels for those wanting to test their skill against someone new :smoke:

All I wish is that I could win! :cry:

Cheers

Rob :clown:

Corwin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reporting a finished game.

Pierce Mason and I had a great match of FB 10 The Return of the Black Company. Pierce's Russians had a very solid attack and he did a great job of pushing for all the potential VC. I was not sure which it was until the end. The Ammo Shortage rules did have an impact on the Germans and the Russian CC attacks were very effective. The Germans managed to win by having a broken unit on the 2nd level of one of the VC buildings. He would have mopped him up in the next Prep fire but it was enough for the win. I was happy to bring it to the last phase, hoping for a miracle CC. Pierce played great and Thanks for the Great game.

John

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Evening

Think my match with John "FB 10" was for Cyber IV. What a great match!! Wow!! First time I have played a Festung Budapest scenario
It was a chess match throughout the scenario but alas, in the end, one broken German squad routing to Level 2 in the last victory building sealed the victory for John. Learned a valuable lesson with that one.

Good Luck to John in the next round of Cyber IV.

Cheer ya'll
Pierce:nuts:

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Still nine free slots available. You have only two more days to join!

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Hi all,

Finally, 25 players participate in CyberVASL V (remember that lower ranked player suggests 3-4 scenarios, and higher ranked player chooses among them and randomizes sides):

Hero:
Lionel Colin
Will Fleming

Leader:
Martin Marquis
Alex Koestler

Elite:
Eduard González
Sergio Puente
Blake Ball
Patrick Palma

1st Line:
Roy Connelly
Rick Carter
David Gillies
John Bock
Rusty Shields
Ángel González
Andy Beaton
Ivan Kent

2nd Line:
David Huguet
Anatoly Sizov
Federico Strazzari
Mike Johnston
Alberto Griffa
Miguel Molina
Robert Mac Ginley
Warren Smith Jr.
Pierce Mason

Note that, since we are only 25 participants, seven players (Will Fleming, Sergio Puente, John Bock, Rusty Shields, Ángel González, Andy Beaton, Ivan Kent) have directly advanced to round D, and are therefore not paired this round.

Round E pairings:

Lionel Colin (Hero) -David Huguet (2nd line)
Martin Marquis (Leader) -Anatoly Sizov (2nd line)
Alex Koestler (Leader) -Federico Strazzari (2nd line)
Eduard González (Elite) -Mike Johnston (2nd line)
Blake Ball (Elite) -Alberto Griffa (2nd line)
Patrick Palma (Elite) -Miguel Molina (2nd line)
Roy Connelly (1st line) -Robert Mac Ginley (2nd line)
Rick Carter (1st line) -Warren Smith Jr. (2nd line)
David Gillies (1st line) -Pierce Mason (2nd line)

Also, note that two of the players who have advanced automatically are already paired for next round D (deadlines to be defined):

Sergio Puente (Elite) -Ángel González (1st line)

Deadlines:

May 1st: Scenarios started, with turn 1 already going
July 1st: Scenarios ended

Please let me know scenario and sides as soon as you start turn 1.

Good luck to all!

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
yo, yo you all!

Ok David Gillies and I will match wits in J181 "The Deadly Line." David will attack
with the Russians and I will defend with the IJA (ELR: 1).. Yikes!!

Cheers ya'll!

Pierce~~

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Pairings for CyberVASL Round D:

Lionel Colin (Hero) -Robert Mac Ginley (2nd line)
Will Fleming (Hero) -Warren Smith Jr. (2nd line)
Anatoly Sizov (2nd line) -David Gillies (1st line)
Alex Koestler (Leader) -John Bock (1st line)
Mike Johnston (2nd line) -Jay Elwell (2nd line)
Sergio Puente (Elite) -Ángel González (1st line)
Blake Ball (Elite) -Andy Beaton (1st line)
Patrick Palma (Elite) -Ivan Kent (1st line)

The last game is already finished. For all others, deadlines are:

4th August: Scenarios started
4th October: Scenarios finished

Please let me know scenarios and sides as soon as you have started turn 1.

Roll low, and have fun!

Sergio

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Hi all,

Here are the pairings for CyberVASL Round C:

Lionel Colin (Hero) -Jay Elwell (2nd line)
Will Fleming (Hero) -Sergio Puente (Elite)
David Gillies (1st line) -Blake Ball (Elite)
Alex Koestler (Leader) -Patrick Palma (Elite)

Deadlines are:

3rd November: Scenarios started
3rd January: Scenarios finished

Roll low, and have fun!

Sergio

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Hi all,

These are the pairings for CyberVASL V semifinals:

Jay Elwell (2nd line) -David Gillies (1st line)
Sergio Puente (Elite) -Patrick Palma (Elite)

Deadlines:

2nd February: Scenarios started
2nd April: Games finished

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Final game is here!

David Gillies (1st line) -Patrick Palma (Elite)

Deadlines:

14th March: Game started
14th May: Game finished

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good Luck to David and Patrick .. Looking forward to the next CyberLeague installment.

Cheers
Pierce

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Hi all,

We have a new CyberVASL champion: Patrick Palma, who won in the final game against David Gillies!

I think Patrick is going to post an AAR of the final game here, I'm sure we can learn a lot from it.

See you in present and future CyberVASL tournaments!

Sergio

Neew badges granted from CyberVASL V:

Patrick Palma COop
David Gillies SOop
Jay Elwell sOop
Sergio Puente sop
Anatoly Sizov op
Mike Johnston op
Robert Mac Ginley op
Warren Smith Jr. op
Alberto Griffa p
Alex Koestler p
Andy Beaton p
Angel Gonzalez p
Blake Ball p
David Huguet p
Eduard Gonzalez p
Federico Strazzari p
Ivan Kent p
Lionel Colin p
Martin Marquis p
Miguel Molina p
Pierce Mason p
Rick Carter p
Roy Connelly p
Rusty Shields p
Will Fleming p

Total badges by player:

Lionel Colin CCCSOoooppppp
Brian Wiersma CSoppp
Patrick Palma COop
Jon Cole SssOoooppp
David Gillies SsOooppp
Laurent Tinture Sopp
John Bock sOOoopp
Rick Carter sOopp
Russell Dewhurst sOopp
Jay Elwell sOop
Mario Aceto sOop
Sergio Puente sopppp
Sebastian Hummel spp
Anatoly Sizov Ooopp
Angel Gonzalez Ooppppp
Jason Wert Ooppp
Bob Kummeth Oop
Martin Marquis oopppp
Mike Johnston oopp
Robert Mac Ginley oppppp
Pierce Mason opppp
Andreas Hinz opp
Doug Fitch opp
Erik Lindblad opp
Paul Franklin-Bihary opp
Warren Smith Jr. opp
Scott Kippen op
Stephen Stewart op
Andy Beaton ppppp
Eduard Gonzalez pppp
Ivan Kent pppp
Will Fleming pppp
Bruno Nitrosso ppp
Ken Knott ppp
Oscar Fernandez ppp
Alex Koestler pp
David Huguet pp
Don Clevenger pp
Federico Strazzari pp
Jason Burnette pp
John Dietrich pp
Alberto Griffa p
Blake Ball p
Carles Ryhr p
Daniel Takai p
Ian Tuten p
Jordan Kehrer p
Laurent Martin p
Miguel Molina p
Peter Palmer p
Roy Connelly p
Rusty Shields p

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Please be so kind to enlighten us, what this "CCCSOoooppppp" stuff means.

von Marwitz

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Sorry, I thought it was explained in the opening post like other years.

These are badges granted for achieving certain results in the tournament. They have no other purpose but adding some spice.

C for champion
S for sub champion
s for semifinalists
O for best overperformer (according to final round played and initial rank of the player)
o for overperformer
p for having completed at least one entire game

ppalma3010

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dave and I decided to try our hand with the scenario AP74 Batty-P, the Germans and the British battling it out on the Italian countryside. He chose the attacking Germans and here is an image of our initial set-up.

1-turn.jpg

I chose to utilize the SSR # 3 which allowed me to set up the Carriers abandoned with the crews and SW’s in the hex with the vehicle. I just thought this would be best and would allow my British to have more units on the ground to begin with, and I also thought the Carriers would probably end up being target practice for the German’s armor.

I chose to place my AT Guns hiding in the Olive Groves of hexes G3 and H9, to defend the upper half of the map.

Dave decided to save most of his units for turn 2, to enter on the top of the board.

On to the start of the game, Turn 1...................

The Germans did not do much prep firing to begin with, as expected.. A try for smoke from BB11 to O11 never took place, and then the German movement began.

There were no first fire attempts from the British as I waited to see where all of these German units were heading, and did not really have much to shoot at anyway. Onto the Final Fire phase, I took a shot or 2 ( think I had rate ) from the 9-1/squad/mmg on level 1 with no effect. I then decided to bring out the gun in G3 and take a shot at that German tank sitting on level 3 in Y7. Was able to cause a wreck, and also to show some defensive strength of the top map area, for when Dave brought his 'turn 2' units on.

ppalma3010

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is an image of the setup with the units known..........

newsetup.jpg

ppalma3010

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 2,

Dave started to bring his Germans off of the hill, but very smartly keeping 'someone' to protect that back door victory condition of the British which is "to have an infantry unit near one of those hill hexes". He then started to bring on his reinforcements , trying to avoid the AT Gun in G3, trying to see what the British had in those upper woods. He found a dummy stack and then placed a vehicle in bypass, finding a half squad ( which soon was to be eliminated ) , which got a lucky shot off in first fire attacking the tank and destroying it.

I had no other defensive fire shots, be it first fire, or during the final fire phase. Dave just continued to advance his troops into a better position.

For my half of this turn, I did take a few Prep Fire shots with no effect, and then started to move some of my units to begin protecting the areas where I believed to be vulnerable. During defensive fire , Dave had a great shot eliminating my AT Gun crew with a casualty reduction in hex G3. Well they did not last too long, or at least as long as I would have liked.

Here is an image of the end of the turn,

3-turn.jpg

ppalma3010

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 3,

Dave decided to take a few Prep shots, but his main concern , I believe was to start getting those Germans in a position to assault those stone buildings. So he was very aggressive in his moves this turn especially in the upper woods area. My troops there ( not many left ) were stuck, and would not get much help from their friends, in the village.

I took some defensive final fire shots with little effect, and then decided to reveal AT Gun number two. Took a shot at his tank in the woods in R4, and caused a wreck. Hoped that this gun and crew being protected by the Olive Groves surrounding it, might last a few turns longer than their buddies did.

For my half of this turn, I prepped the AT gun and was able to knock out another tank. Whatever other prep fire which was done did little to no damage. On to movement, when I finally decided to bring on the OP tank ( one turn late, forgot him the last turn ), and realistically I did not think it could do much for me , except maybe give some machine gun fire...........until it gets destroyed by one of the German tanks, which is what happened in the next turn.

Dave used his defensive fire to wipe out any remaining units which I had left defending those upper woods. That area was now in German hands, as the British hunkered down in the village as best as they could.

Here is an image ending turn 3..........

4-turn.jpg