CyberVASL IX

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Dear all,

The ninth edition of CyberVASL is now open for sign-up. If you are interested in joining this tournament, please send an email to CyberVASL {at} outlook {dot} com (please be sure that you include exactly "CyberVASL IX" in the subject of the email), indicating your real name, your personal ID code in the AREA webpage (http://www.asl-area.org/), and email. By doing so, you accept that I will use this information and pass it to others for the exclusive purposes of running the tournament.

All rules are below, but here is a summary:

- This ninth edition will be limited to 32 participants, and will consequently have 5 rounds.
- Currently, 25 participants have confirmed participation, so there are 7 free slots available.
- The tournament will start as soon as the 32 slots are filled. In case vacancies still exist by 2nd April, the tournament will start with the available players by this date.
- All sign-ups must be done by email. Strict receiving time will determine participation in case the threshold of 32 players is reached.
- I will give some "badges" to participating players, for achieving some targets. The purpose is only to add some spice to the tournament, with no other intention or implication.

COMPLETE RULES:

- Each round, people will be paired, and only the winner of each game will continue in the tournament.
- Default method of play is VASL PBEM, no optional rules and VASL dicebot. Other methods, rules or dice are allowed upon agreement of both players.
- All games of a round must be completed no later than three months after the previous round finished. All games have to be running (i.e., both setups done, and turn 1 started) after one month from the start of the round.
- Deadlines are NOT flexible. At the end of a round a winner must be declared. Failure to this will imply a double loss to both players. Please only sign up if you can send at least one log per day most of the time, as speed is very important when playing PBEM.
- All pairings will be predetermined at the start of the tournament, and you will be allowed (and encouraged) to start your next round game as soon as you know who is your opponent. This will give you more time to complete the new game, as the three months period only starts once all games for the previous round are finished. I will try to regularly remind people about new games that can be started.
- Depending on the number of players (and previous forfeits), it is possible that some players are not paired in a given round. In that case, those players will automatically advance to the next round. I will design pairings to avoid this to happen in the last rounds.
- Pairings will be based on AREA ratings at the start of the tournament, and will be designed in a way that best players will tend to play between them only in latest rounds.
- If you feel that you are not going to have time to complete your game in time, please resign as soon as possible, to allow your opponent to start his new round game ASAP.
- If your game is not finished, (or the game has not started after the first month) then the player more responsible of the delay should politely declare his opponent as the winner, no matter how the game was going.
- All results (win/lose/forfeit) can be notified by either player, either by posting here or sending an email to CyberVASL {at} outlook {dot} com. In the latter case, please be sure that you include exactly "CyberVASL IX" in the subject of the email. Please communicate in a similar way scenario and sides chosen, as well as the moment when you effectively started to play turn 1.
- All games (except those not started after the first month) will be reported to AREA.
- In case a rules dispute appears, please consult the rulebook and the rules forum in GameSquad. Only when this doesn't clarify the answer, you can ask me for a decision. Both players should explain their point of view, with specific references to rules. In this respect, I maybe request advice from experienced players, who will also be responsible of deciding when the dispute affects one game in which I am playing.

Sign-up rules:

- The sign-up period will last until 2nd April at most.
- The number of players in this ninth edition will be limited to 32. Once this limit is reached, sign-up will immediately end, and first round will start
- 25 participants have confirmed participation, so there are 7 free slots available.
- In case the limit is reached before 2nd April, new participants will be selected exclusively by the date and time in which sign-up emails were received.

Specific suggestions for selecting scenario and sides:

- ANY scenario can be chosen. Please take into account time availability of you and your opponent, to ensure that the scenario is small enough to be played by the deadline.
- One of the purposes of the tournament is to encourage people to play against new opponents, in order to learn from them both in terms of rules and strategy.
- Therefore, to encourage less experienced people to join, it is suggested that (when the players have different experience levels) the less experienced player selects 3-4 scenarios, and pass them to his opponent, who in turn selects one of them and randomize sides. In this way, less experienced players can adjust the scenario selection to their rules knowledge.
- If both players have a similar experience level, then they can agree on any way they want.
- To facilitate this procedure, all players will have an associated experience level (based on the AREA seed that determined pairings), that will be communicated when the pairings are done.
- Please have a list of your 3-4 preferred scenarios prepared in advance, to avoid unnecessary delays.

Good luck to all!

Sergio

PD: List of current participants (up to 23rd March):

Will Fleming
Bruno Nitrosso
David Gillies
Blake Ball
Patrick Palma
Alex Koestler
Martin Marquis
Sergio Puente
Martin Kristensen
Anatoly Sizov
Ian willey
Eduard González
Jeff Buser
Jason Wert
Tom Arnold
Jeremy Busby
Rick Carter
Mike Johnston
Gary Bartlett
Jeff Sewall
Robert Mac Ginley
Ivan Kent
Roy Connelly
Alan Krause
Peter Rogneholt

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi all

8 tourney's down and still no win - will No 9 get me past the round one eliminations

o_O:confused::sick::facepalm:

Probably NO - so for an easy PBEM game - sign up and play me!!! (though it is random)

Rob:rofl:

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Round 1 pairings:

Bruno Nitrosso (Hero) -Mike Johnston (2nd line)
Will Fleming (Hero) -Rick Carter (2nd line)
Sergio Puente (Elite) -Roy Connelly (2nd line)
Martin Marquis (Elite) -Gary Bartlett (2nd line)
Anatoly Sizov (1st line) -Alan Krause (2nd line)
Jason Wert (1st line) -Peter Rogneholt (2nd line)
Jeff Buser (1st line) -Robert Mac Ginley (2nd line)
Martin Kristensen (1st line) -Steffen Knippel (2nd line)
Tom Arnold (1st line) -Pierce Mason (2nd line)
Ian willey (1st line) -Ivan Kent (2nd line)
Eduard González (1st line) -Donald Holland (2nd line)

Deadlines:

- 4 May: Games started (i.e. both setups done and turn 1 already ongoing)
- 4 July: Games finished

Participants already in Round 2:

Blake Ball
David Gillies
Alex Koestler
Patrick Palma
Jeremy Busby

One game of Round 2 that can be started right now:

David Gillies (Leader) -Patrick Palma (Elite)

Have fun!

Sergio

Nearmiss

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tom Arnold (Germans) will square off against Peirce Mason (Americans) in ASL-189, Devil's Hill. Hostilities will commence in 2 days time.

SteffenK

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Martin Kristensen's Germans will attempt to dislodge Steffen Knippel's Dutch in RPT132, Probe Toward the Hague.
It promises to be short and bloody.

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anatoly Sizov and I will be playing ASL 3 - The Czerniakow Bridgehead. Anatoly is the stalwart defending Russian/Polish force, and I am the the attacking White Russian Brigade.

Alan

Nearmiss

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tom Arnold's Germans defeated Pierce Mason's American's as the Paras' dice appeared to have no interest in participating.

Martin

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Martin Kristensen's Germans defeated Steffen Knippel's Dutch in RPT132, Probe Toward the Hague.

The Germans spotted a weak spot (an undefended building) on the right flank. Both German MG's and two and a half squad took up forward positions to prevent the reinforcements from reaching the critical area, while 5,5 squads rushed straight for the building, across open ground and fire from a Dutch 47mm AT gun and a squad.

Steffen: Thanks for a great game, I enjoyed it!

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Jeff and I played J161 – Riding to the Rescue – I thought it was a balanced game but with the usual quirks – thanks to the designer Jon Bays for a good 1940 Tin can bash

Jeff was great a player, a pleasure to play and this is a hoot for “chess piece” moves to victory – PBEM I find always an excitement in “what’s in the next log” and this was my feeling in this one!

Brits basically have to get out of town when the German’s have a circle of men to stop them

I had, I presume the two option setup (two ways to leave (one little bridge exit or an entire south edge! – which way would he breakout so I spread it thin with the chance of quick moves to reinforce the point of attack - though the South had my main defense - North was on fire and has just one platoon and a dummy platoon

He then made it clear – His R flank was full on men marching to exit to the South
My response…..

Gather in front and try to stop him

Well by combined arms attack – and my inability to get an MG to penetrate his little tin cans he just marched over me like a bull dozer – I was able to bring nearly all squads to bear on this exit but to no avail :clap:

Every roll slowed him but alas he just pushed on bravely and to victory - he lethal shots at my brittle men did not help my cause

The one excitement of the game was his actual entry of the “cruiser” tanks and the subsequent aftermath
My 20L armored cars waited for their entry hex! – Like nasty wolves in ambush and with rof and nice penetration turned them into crews on foot!! :hellyes:

I turned my mini (and I mean mini) armored column to the other tin cans only to be sniper-ed (both in one fire phase) into buttoned up stun +1 (not recall fortunately) so alas I turned from defender “waiting in a lair” into desperate attacker to prevent exit of tin cans

Of course his Tin can got the ROF and kia followed by kill- ah…. ASL… a dice game it is!

This left me with little but to hope for miracles like repair of a MA and straight shooting a 1% chance ……..:facepalm:

Anyway that did not happen – lots of Brits left the battle undisturbed with Tanks in play there was victory for Jeff :jig:

Maybe if I could have had a few kills with MGso_O I would have seen the tin cans in trouble but alas my men were brittle in defence and poor shots so the combo sealed my fate
Great Game with Jeff

Cheers

Rob :)

ppalma3010

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
David Gillies and I played a very interesting and fun scenario from Poland in Flames................BFP-121 Old Friends. Dave was the Poles, and I was the attacking Germans. In the end the Germans were able to control the needed buildings and withstand Dave's last turn to try and retake one of them. It was a very enjoyable game which could have easily went to either side in the end.

Thanks for the game , Dave...............enjoyed it.

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
As usual, I forgot to post pairings in the thread. Here them are for round two:

Bruno Nitrosso (Hero) -Alan Krause (2nd line)
Will Fleming (Hero) -Peter Rogneholt (2nd line)
Blake Ball (Leader) -Jeff Buser (1st line)
David Gillies (Leader) -Jeremy Busby (1st line)
Alex Koestler (Elite) -Martin Kristensen (1st line)
Roy Connelly (2nd line) -Tom Arnold (1st line)
Martin Marquis (Elite) -Ivan Kent (2nd line)

Nearmiss

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FrF-95 saw Tom Arnold's Russians stumble and bumble their way to victory over Will Fleming's Germans. Thanks for a wonderful but very short game Will.

buser333

Reaction score
Alan Krause and I got together today on VASL and started and completed BFP127. In a nail biter from start to finish, my Poles were able to prevent the Germans from capturing Kopytow. Fantastic game with a very fun opponent! Tom, looks like you and I have a finals rematch of CyberVASL VI!

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alan Krause and I got together today on VASL and started and completed BFP127. In a nail biter from start to finish, my Poles were able to prevent the Germans from capturing Kopytow.
Just wanted to echo Jeff's assessment of the scenario as well. In hindsight, I think I erred in setting up a pinning force on my left and should have simply sent them all on the right. Turns 1 and 2 I was riding high and feeling no pain, then everything went to hell on Turn 3 and I wasn't able to recover.

Thanks for the game, Jeff - it was a great one!

Alan

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
A small update on the tournament:

We are playing quarterfinals:

Alan Krause (2nd line) -Martin Kristensen (1st line)
Will Fleming (Hero) -Tom Arnold (1st line)
Jeff Buser (1st line) -Martin Marquis (Elite)
David Gillies (Leader) -Eduard González (1st line)

The first three games are already finished, with Alan, Tom and Jeff already classified for semifinals. David and Eduard have until next 15 January to complete their game.

pipiol

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Another late update: Playing semifinals now:

Alan Krause (2nd line) -Jeff Buser (1st line)
Tom Arnold (1st line) -David Gillies (Leader)

Jeff already won his match, so the final game will be Jeff against the winner of Tom vs David

_Fury_

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was my pleasure to play Jeff in the final match, and also to have the honor of creating an AAR of our game. Jeff selected several scenarios, and from those I chose CH#157 Armored Probe -- a dense jungle affair, pitting the armor-supported Japanese against the US Army in 1944 New Guinea. I do like playing PTO and was happy to accept this suggestion from Jeff. Listed as 3-2 Japanese with 7 rating for this re-issue -- originally was published as CH6 with 52-41 in Japan's favor, with 6.93 rating -- sounded good. I rolled for sides using ( randpatrouille.de/DR/dr_distributor.html -- give it a try!) and got Japan.

The goal of the Japanese forces was to gather CVP and exit VP's. Jeff setup his US Army forces in a very aggressive, forward placement -- see the image below. There's really few paths for the tanks to enter the board, and with this forward placement, it looked like Jeff planned to scrape the plaque off my teeth taking out my initial force along the way. The pregame image shows where I thought his pieces were, prior to reveal. Turns out I was only about 50% right and I think the actual setup was slightly more aggressive. Quite intimidating.

I brought my forces on leaving the tanks in a reserved position to make them hard to take out with the 50cal or Baz. Jeff's 50cal, commanded by his 9-2 layed a fire line down the road which was ineffective vs my armored assault teams. I kind of thought there was a chance he would push up and attack the tanks -- the key to exit vps. End of J1 is the image below.

Jeff held in place and on turn 2 I was very tempted to throw caution to the wind and call a banzai charge into the teeth of the 50 and MMG to get at the BAZ and make way for the tanks. Would have been a very bad idea I believe. Instead I decided to try to prevent their retreat and wait for my second force to come on and help cashier the CVPs and clear a way for the tanks. I was able to move one Type 95 HA-GO without its platoon, passing a few bog checks adjacent to marshy terrain, to get around on Jeff's right flank and make it hard to withdraw. Position after Japanese 2 is below.

Last edited: