Would you be interested in participating in a PBEM ASL tournament

• Total voters

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
Per a suggestion, I have posted this question out here.

Is there interest in resurrecting a PBEM tournament similar to the one Cryophobia was doing? If so, how much? See discussion in THIS thread for background.

DerBlitzer

Reaction score
Country
llTurkey
Let me retype what I wrote in another thread you started that didn't get much notice:

There were always a fair number of players interested in the CyberASL tourney, even with a default of PBEM, so I think you'd get a pretty decent turnout for any online tourney. I don't think Chris ever had enough time to devote to the tournament, so it tended to run way behind schedule. PBEM is always going to be slower than live VASL, but I think you'd need to run it with strict deadlines, as Enrico does with VASLeague, for it to be successful. Which might mean ajudication of certain games, which means "hiring" a panel of judges, etc. Prizes would be nice, too. A fair amount of work. But it seems that Vinnie has offered to help?

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I would certainly participate. I would consider mandating that scenarios chosen be beneath a certain size (in terms of turns and units) and that logs are returned on a weekly, at least, basis.

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
Let me retype what I wrote in another thread you started that didn't get much notice:

There were always a fair number of players interested in the CyberASL tourney, even with a default of PBEM, so I think you'd get a pretty decent turnout for any online tourney. I don't think Chris ever had enough time to devote to the tournament, so it tended to run way behind schedule. PBEM is always going to be slower than live VASL, but I think you'd need to run it with strict deadlines, as Enrico does with VASLeague, for it to be successful. Which might mean adjudication of certain games, which means "hiring" a panel of judges, etc. Prizes would be nice, too. A fair amount of work. But it seems that Vinnie has offered to help?
As I believe I mention in the other thread (too lazy to check), I'm looking at getting 2 others to help me officiate (and adjudicate where necessary). There will probably be 2 or 3 month rounds (probably 3 to start). With a winner/loser bracket structure. I'd like to get prizes and possibly even use a scenario list as "promotion tool" for a publisher(s) to promote sales of their packs and as incentive for them to provide prizes. I'm thinking a 16 spot championship bracket with an 8 spot losers bracket per "league". We would go up in those increments as needed. Those are my thoughts. If there are other ideas, I'd like to hear them. As I mentioned in the other thread, I haven't decided I WILL do this, but I'm thinking about it...

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Evening,

I would certainly participate. Enjoyed playing in the Cyber Open in the past.

Pierce:nuts:

tommyl

Reaction score
First name
Tommy
Country
llUnited States
I would be willing to participate. PBEM is the only way I could find time to be in such a tournament as my free time comes in small blocks.....

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
Based on several conversations I have had, it looks like we may just give this a go. Stay tuned for more information in the coming weeks. Thanks for your feedback and please, keep it coming.

Roll low.

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
Not sure what you mean. If you do them inside VASL, the roll is logged in the file... Please clarify.
As with any games with the vassal engine, logs can be done again and again without the opponent realizing it. I've participated in non- asl vassal tournaments where the die rolling is done on a separate server, so that a record of die rolling is kept out of thee vassal log. Of course, for friendly games this is pointless, but for the Fame, Glory and Fortune to be had in a tournament, maybe there is a point.

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
As with any games with the vassal engine, logs can be done again and again without the opponent realizing it. I've participated in non- asl vassal tournaments where the die rolling is done on a separate server, so that a record of die rolling is kept out of thee vassal log. Of course, for friendly games this is pointless, but for the Fame, Glory and Fortune to be had in a tournament, maybe there is a point.
Pablo,

That's one we're looking at closely. Nothing has been decided yet, but we'll be incorporating what we come up with into a rules doc that will be made available.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yep I would be interested in such a thing, only way I can commit at this point. Enjoyed the VASL league but I never know if I am fit to play on any single day.

As for the honour thing. Possibly best to keep prizes to a minimum or not at all, this would cut it back. To be honest if I suspected my opponent of doing this I would just fold the game for them, they need the win far more than me. Not that I think you would have much of that kind of thing going, after all we could also unconceal suff and all sorts if we wanted. Honour is all we really have and it's a bit sad to even have to consider the bad boys

Ian

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Hello!

I am interested in a PBEM league but will not participate in one where I have to worry about a 2nd server/application for die rolling. I want VASL to be easy and using it as is is easy.

I just do not sweat it. If people cheat they cheat. They can have the win and I will move on (making a note if I am suspicious and never playing them again).

Just give me the VASL 'bot and let me game:clown:

Peace

Roger

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hello!

I am interested in a PBEM league but will not participate in one where I have to worry about a 2nd server/application for die rolling. I want VASL to be easy and using it as is is easy.

Roger
That was my first reaction as well, though if I was in the tournament I would ask the other guy if he would use the dice bot, if not then I would try out the other way, if a pain possibly throw the game to him and hope the next guy agrees to use the bot

Ian

dwardzala

Va Tech Hokie
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello!

I just do not sweat it. If people cheat they cheat. They can have the win and I will move on (making a note if I am suspicious and never playing them again).

Just give me the VASL 'bot and let me game:clown:

Peace

Roger
Gotta agree with Roger here - if people want to cheat, then they are going to cheat. The CyberASL Title and $0.99 will get them something off the McDonalds value menu, so I am not sure what the big deal is.

Keep it simple and have fun.