CWT&F #24

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
Okey gents, try this one...

In April 1861 Captain Samuel D. Strugis, commander of a Federal garrison at Fort Smith, Arkansas evacuated this place and headed for Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. When Strugis left, he was short one man, his erstwhile second-in-command who tendered his resignation and headed to join the Confederate army. This officer ultimately became a general and was killed in one of the main ACW battles.

Q: What was the name of this officer?

Hint: It was not Maxcy Gregg :laugh:

jztemple

Reaction score
James B. McIntosh

James B. McIntosh graduated from West Point in 1849 and participated in numerous Indian campaigns in Texas and Kansas. He was on duty at Fort Smith in May 1861, at which time he resigned his commission and joined the Army of the Confederacy. He gained the rank of colonel and participated in the Battle of Oak Hill, Missouri, on August 10, 1861. In 1862, Colonel McIntosh was appointed a brigadier general and took part in the engagement at Pea Ridge, the first battle of the Civil War fought on Arkansas soil. During the second day of the battle, March 7, 1862, the 34-year-old general was killed, and his remains were brought to Fort Smith for burial.
Although I googled to get the above, I was motivated to pull out my copy of Boatner's "Civil War Dictionary" to learn more, and of course following his entry is that of his brother John Baillie McIntosh who was a Union general.

Wow... just checked my Boatners and noted the copyright date of 1959 and realized that's 46 years ago.... <sigh> :rolleyes:

Last edited: