CWT&F #23

Coaling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How about this one . . . ?

Which Civil War battle (Eastern Theatre) was fully under way, when a locomotive/train chugged right onto the field between the lines of contention?

(Hint: No, I am not talking about the Reb raid on Manassas before 2nd Bull Run. That was a raid, my question concerns a battle already in progress.)

Coaling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What--? No takers? Not even a hint of a guess? It's been more than two days now!

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Nope, none here...you might get more takers if you started it's own thread for this, as people who already read it once the answer was posted probably haven't read it again. :)

Coaling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nah . . . it's just too hard a question. It's not a trick question; it really did happen, strange as it seems . . . I'll wait another day.

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
Coaling said:
Which Civil War battle (Eastern Theatre) was fully under way, when a locomotive/train chugged right onto the field between the lines of contention?
Yer, Captain does it really happen??? :hmmm:
Maybe one more hint - was it a 'battle' or only some skirmishing?

Coaling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, it was not just a skirmish. It was a regular battle, but not of monumental size, and it was a rather lop-sided Reb win. 1862. I'm aware it's a hard question, but not impossible. In all the forums I've put this question up so far, only one person has got it (so far). People have either read and know the specifics of the battle, or they don't; and those who know the battle will readily recall the train entrance!

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
Coaling said:
Was it a Savage Station??
Confederates used there a railroad gun - cannon mounted on two rail cars and pushed by a locomotive :shock:
It was ordered forward and was under infantry fire.

Last edited:

Coaling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The battle of Front Royal, part of Stonewall Jackson's Shenandoah Valley Campaign of 1862. A section of the Louisiana Tigers were charging the Union left flank, when a locomotive chugged between the lines, immediately in the path of the advancing Tigers. The engineer was completely surprised by the sound of bullets striking his train.