Custom VASL Play Aids

veron

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Use ctrl-A to select all and ctrl-C to copy, then paste it here (I can't tell you the apple equivalent if you are apple).
Sorry for going a bit OT, but all these basic shortcuts are exactly the same in Mac as in Windows, you just replace Ctrl with the Command key (so Cmd-A, Cmd-C, etc).

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If anyone is interested, made a quick ACQ tracker. You can scale the number of rows up as much as wish (or have space for). The idea is store your unused, labelled ACQ counters rather than just throw them willy nilly offboard. :) For the UnitX column, I just clone the unit in question (with it's label) for easy identification. Sample pic below:

View attachment 54433

Code:
<HTML>
<BODY>
<TABLE bgcolor=#DCCD7B WIDTH=210 BORDER=1 CELLPADDING=2 CELLSPACING=2>
<TR>
     <TD WIDTH=70 HEIGHT=70 ALIGN=CENTER>Unit</TD>
     <TD WIDTH=70 HEIGHT=70 ALIGN=CENTER>ITT/VTT</TD>
     <TD WIDTH=70 HEIGHT=70 ALIGN=CENTER>Area</TD></TR>
<TR>
     <TD WIDTH=70 HEIGHT=70 ALIGN=CENTER>Unit 1</TD>
<TR>
     <TD WIDTH=70 HEIGHT=70 ALIGN=CENTER>Unit 2</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
     <TD WIDTH=70 HEIGHT=70 ALIGN=CENTER>Unit 3</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
     <TD WIDTH=70 HEIGHT=70 ALIGN=CENTER>Unit 4</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
     <TD WIDTH=70 HEIGHT=70 ALIGN=CENTER>Unit 5</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
     <TD WIDTH=70 HEIGHT=70 ALIGN=CENTER>Unit 6</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
     <TD WIDTH=70 HEIGHT=70 ALIGN=CENTER>Unit 7</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
     <TD WIDTH=70 HEIGHT=70 ALIGN=CENTER>Unit 8</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
     <TD WIDTH=70 HEIGHT=70 ALIGN=CENTER>Unit 9</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
     <TD WIDTH=70 HEIGHT=70 ALIGN=CENTER>Unit 10</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>
</BODY>
</HTML>

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
/boggle

I can never tell if you guys want VASL to be *more* cardboard-y or if you guys just like making things because you can.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
/boggle

I can never tell if you guys want VASL to be *more* cardboard-y or if you guys just like making things because you can.
If you can hook it up so vasl moves things on the physical boards that would be nice.

JR

chef-62

xxxxxxxx
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I'd like know if it's possible write “equal to or less” or “equal to or greater”
sometime I write “<” “=<” or “>” “=>” but they don't appear

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd like know if it's possible write “equal to or less” or “equal to or greater”
Those are "special" characters in HTML and need to be "quoted". Use this instead when needed:

'&' (ampersand) becomes '&amp;'
'"' (double quote) becomes '&quot;'
"'" (single quote) becomes '''
'<' (less than) becomes '&lt;'
'>' (greater than) becomes '&gt;'

Jeffhew

"Aut Vincere Aut Mori"
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It depends on where you're writing it. If you're writing it in HTML, use the following:
To type "≤" hold down the ALT key and type 8804, for "≥" use ALT 8805. This won't work if you're trying to type something in VASL, say on the Notes tab or something like that. VASL doesn't recognize the same HTML key codes, so in that instance you may need to resort to copy and paste from wordpad or some other HTML editor.
Hope that helps you out.
Best Regards,
Jeff

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
It depends on where you're writing it. If you're writing it in HTML, use the following:
To type "≤" hold down the ALT key and type 8804, for "≥" use ALT 8805. This won't work if you're trying to type something in VASL, say on the Notes tab or something like that. VASL doesn't recognize the same HTML key codes, so in that instance you may need to resort to copy and paste from wordpad or some other HTML editor.
/QUOTE]

Although you can use the unicode character (typed in with the numeric value, copied from somewhere else, or selected from a character selection program), you can also use "&le;" and "&ge;" in html. The result should be the same, but the named entities are a bit easier to remember and don't require going to another program.

JR

Jeffhew

"Aut Vincere Aut Mori"
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Although you can use the unicode character (typed in with the numeric value, copied from somewhere else, or selected from a character selection program), you can also use "&le;" and "&ge;" in html. The result should be the same, but the named entities are a bit easier to remember and don't require going to another program.

JR
And that right there is the difference between "knowing it already" and "learn as you go," as I'm doing. :D
Jeff

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
And that right there is the difference between "knowing it already" and "learn as you go," as I'm doing. :D
Because certain characters are meaningful in html (such as "<" and ">"), they had to be escaped, i.e. there had to be a way to say to print the character rather than use its html meaning. This is done with named and unnamed html codes. These begin with an ampersand and end with a semi-colon. Characters can be written using either the named html code (when defined) or with a numeric html code. So a "<" can be written as either "<" or as "&lt;" in html. In addition to characters that were meaningful in html, a lot of other characters were given names, for example "&copy;" for "©". There are lots of pages with the characters and their codes, such as http://www.ascii.cl/htmlcodes.htm. I generally find a web page with the symbol on it and copy and paste it in for most odd characters.

JR

Jeffhew

"Aut Vincere Aut Mori"
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Because certain characters are meaningful in html (such as "<" and ">"), they had to be escaped, i.e. there had to be a way to say to print the character rather than use its html meaning. This is done with named and unnamed html codes. These begin with an ampersand and end with a semi-colon. Characters can be written using either the named html code (when defined) or with a numeric html code. So a "<" can be written as either "<" or as "&lt;" in html. In addition to characters that were meaningful in html, a lot of other characters were given names, for example "&copy;" for "©". There are lots of pages with the characters and their codes, such as http://www.ascii.cl/htmlcodes.htm. I generally find a web page with the symbol on it and copy and paste it in for most odd characters.

JR
JR, do you happen to know, off the top of your head, what the right HTML code would be to change one word in a sentence from normal text to italic?
Thanks a Bunch!!
Jeff

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
LOL. I thought it might be more complicated than that. Thank you, JR.
The more technically correct answer is that while the <i> tag does what you need it to do, html is moving away from putting formatting into html. Html should be used for structure and content; CSS (cascading style sheets) should be used for style. Here is a sample using CSS that will work in vasl:

<html>
<head>
<style>
.myItalic { font-style: italic; }
</style>
</head>
<body>
<p>This is a test of <span class="myItalic">italic text.</span></p>
</body>
</html>

The advantage of learning and using css is that it can do much more rich formatting than pure html. Then again it may be a case of using a sledge hammer to crack a walnut. There is nothing wrong with using the <i> tag, but you may want to explore a bit of css to see if it might enable you to do something more.

One thing I am not sure of is what version of css vasl supports. There may even be some limitations beyond the version too.

JR

Last edited:

Jeffhew

"Aut Vincere Aut Mori"
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The more technically correct answer is that while the <i> tag does what you need it to do, html is moving away from putting formatting into html. Html should be used for structure and content; CSS (cascading style sheets) should be used for style. Here is a sample using CSS that will work in vasl:

<html>
<head>
<style>
.myItalic { font-style: italic; }
</style>
</head>
<body>
<p>This is a test of <span class="myItalic">italic text.</span></p>
</body>
</html>

The advantage of learning and using css is that it can do much more rich formatting than pure html. Then again it may be a case of using a sledge hammer to crack a walnut. There is nothing wrong with using the <i> tag, but you may want to explore a bit of css to see if it might enable you to do something more.

One thing I am not sure of is what version of css vasl supports. There may even be some limitations beyond the version too.

JR
Thanks for the impromptu HTML class, JR. Tried to rep ya, but my magazine is empty. :D
All the best,
Jeff