CtR: CGII Assault on Fortress Corregidor

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tom H. and I played Day 1 of this CG on Saturday. The Japanese set up heavy in the Water Tower area and Battery Wheeler with wire and trenches stiffening these redoubts. They were also present in the barracks hexes (that were in allowed set up zone) and a couple of MMCs in the Crocket Ravine area. Basically, the Parade Grounds (PG) were surrounded.

I considered landing in the PG but with all the buildings and being surrounded by the sons of Nippon really freaked me out. Therefore, I landed everyone on Maggot Valley.

The drop was relatively clean. I lost about 5 squads due to landing MCs. I had a bunch of broken guys, and about 80% of my guys ended up deployed.

The game itself was pretty uneventful. Not much shooting just Paratroopers running around gathering weapons with the odd Japanese shot. I managed to secure all the weapons. MMCs not assigned to weapons recovery went and secured Batteries Cheaney, Smith, Grubbs, and Hearn. Only Hearn was defended by a lonely 4-4-8 LMG. This squad wisely chose to run like the wind from certain death. I reduced him to a HS accounting for the only CVP I inflicted the whole day. I secured the entire west edge and about 1/3 of the north edge and 3 hexes of the south edge next to the grey area.

My second objective was to take the Rail Station. I had a good chance to do it and was finally in position on turn 5. However, the game ended. While I was well ahead on stone building locations I did not fulfill the PG VC, so I lost.

I have 28.5 squads, 2 MTRs, 3 75 ARTS, the 120s, and all the SWs remaining. One of my Para Coys and the HW Coy were depleted on the initial buy.

My jump off points for Day 2 are not ideal. I rolled up 14 points of CCPs. I'm not liking where I'm at but gonna play the next day. Should I buy the 350 NOBA because that has been on my bucket list and the Japanese should be thick pretty much everywhere? I know CGs are boots on the ground affairs but there is no place to put MMCs without getting slaughtered in droves. Attacking the Japanese in fortified buildings behind wire and mines through the open ground seems like a bad idea. Heavy Payload seems like the answer. The 2 CCP limit for FPP really hurts.

Some questions posted in BFP folder.

Last edited:

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Tom H. and I played Day 1 of this CG on Saturday. The Japanese set up heavy in the Water Tower area and Battery Wheeler with wire and trenches stiffening these redoubts. They were also present in the barracks hexes (that were in allowed set up zone) and a couple of MMCs in the Crocket Ravine area. Basically, the Parade Grounds (PG) were surrounded.

I considered landing in the PG but with all the buildings and being surrounded by the sons of Nippon really freaked me out. Therefore, I landed everyone on Maggot Valley.

The drop was relatively clean. I lost about 5 squads due to landing MCs. I had a bunch of broken guys, and about 80% of my guys ended up deployed.

The game itself was pretty uneventful. Not much shooting just Paratroopers running around gathering weapons with the odd Japanese shot. I managed to secure all the weapons. MMCs not assigned to weapons recovery went and secured Batteries Cheaney, Smith, Grubbs, and Hearn. Only Hearn was defended by a lonely 4-4-8 LMG. This squad wisely chose to run like the wind from certain death. I reduced him to a HS accounting for the only CVP I inflicted the whole day. I secured the entire west edge and about 1/3 of the north edge and 3 hexes of the south edge next to the grey area.

My second objective was to take the Rail Station. I had a good chance to do it and was finally in position on turn 5. However, the game ended. While I was well ahead on stone building locations I did not fulfill the PG VC, so I lost.

I have 28.5 squads, 2 MTRs, 3 75 ARTS, the 120s, and all the SWs remaining. One of my Para Coys and the HW Coy were depleted on the initial buy.

My jump off points for Day 2 are not ideal. I rolled up 14 points of CCPs. I'm not liking where I'm at but gonna play the next day. Should I buy the 350 NOBA because that has been on my bucket list and the Japanese should be thick pretty much everywhere? I know CGs are boots on the ground affairs but there is no place to put MMCs without getting slaughtered in droves. Attacking the Japanese in fortified buildings behind wire and mines through the open ground seems like a bad idea. Heavy Payload seems like the answer. The 2 CCP limit for FPP really hurts.

Some questions posted in BFP folder.
How high would you rate the fun level for this first day of the CG ?

I sense it may not be as wildly entertaining as 17 October 1942 in Red Barricades?

Ganjulama

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How high would you rate the fun level for this first day of the CG ?

I sense it may not be as wildly entertaining as 17 October 1942 in Red Barricades?
It all depends on where you land. I chose the safe 'land alive' strategy. If you are feeling ballsy you can land on the Parade Grounds and I'm sure you will have 5 turns of absolute chaos. It is a big risk because the 2MCs for landing in/next to structures is just brutal. For Example, if you land in the Barracks, you take a 2MC for the hex you land in and a 2MC for each building you location you land next to. If you land next to 3 structures you have a decent chance of outright elimination. There are places where you can land next to 4 or 5 such locations. I did one simulated drop there and lost 80% of my guys before I hit the ground. I did another and lost about 40%. That is not accounting for Japanese fire. If you land in the PGs it will be in fire lane city with a .50 call in hammering you from a level 6 stone building, and lots of issues with route paths. If everything comes in depleted for the Japanese you still face (2) HMGs, (1) .50cal, (3) MMGs, and perhaps some LMGs at a minimum. Paras that hit the ground will likely be deployed.

IMHO, if the Japanese were prohibited from moving on Turn 1 & 2 in the CG like they are in CtR-4 Return to the Rock landing on the PGs might be feasible. I just did not believe in ASL terms that landing there would be viable so I gave up the PGs knowing I would lose CG Day 1.

Fiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Good AAR so far when are you planning to continue?

Any hints for the American, I am freaked. (About to start day 1 turn1 as the American and I feel I will loose even before any dices has been rolled at all!)

Ganjulama

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tom H. and I completed CG Day 2 this past Saturday. Objectives for the USA were to clear Battery Wheeler and its environs, take the train station, and take Battery Way. Achieved 2 of 3. Did not take train station. The Heavy OBA with OBO on south edge rubbled only 2 buildings. One had 2 HMGs, 2 Crews, and a 9-1 leader in it. It stripped a bunch of units but it was not the killing maelstrom that I had hoped for. 2nd module of Heavy OBA retained from initial CG date drew a flurry of red cards. I quit trying turn 4 and decided to just retain it for next battle date.

Inflicted 43 CVP on the Japanese while taking 16 of my own. Overall CVP after 2 days is USA 32 sustained, Japanese 44 sustained.

I have good jump off positions for next CG day which will be Day 4. Both sides went Idle day 3. I wanted to attack but only got 10 CPP which was just not enough to sustain the drive. Next battle date is going to be ugly. I bought Para OBA, Para Coy, 81mm MTRs (depleted, and that hurts when you spend 4 CPP for ONE MTR), HW Section, P38s, Havocs, and B-24s (depleted). I also spent to CPP for FPP and now I'm out of those. However, I should be wading into buildings next date so the need for cover at my jump off points should be less.

I feel confident USA can achieve the >50 VP VC, but I'm wondering if I can inflict 200 more CVP than the Japanese....

Next battle date TBD but will probably be in 3 weeks.

I'm really enjoying this CG and I would like to try my hand as the Japanese. Perhaps one day, when I retire :)

Ganjulama

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good AAR so far when are you planning to continue?

Any hints for the American, I am freaked. (About to start day 1 turn1 as the American and I feel I will loose even before any dices has been rolled at all!)
Not really. So much depends on the Japanese set up. Of course, when you select your drop points you don't know where they will be......

Pray for good drift DRs ?

Ganjulama

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Completed CG Day 4 (3rd played scenario Day 3 was Idle) on Saturday. It was a hard day at the Rock. Japanese CVPs sustained 65 USA sustained 36 for the day. Total CVP sustained for USA 64 and Japanese 109. It's going to be a steep climb to have 200 more CVP than Japanese but if I continue to inflict 2:1 for the remaining days it just might be doable.

Concentrated on taking the Rail Station, getting a foothold in the Barracks, and taking the Officer's Quarters next to the Parade Grounds. I accomplished 2/3. Officer's country was littered with mines and a stout defense and I only took 3 buildings.

I bought over 2 days the following. 81 MTRS, 1 P38, and the B25s were depleted. I purchased the last of the forts.

I4HW Section
M181mm MTR
M3P38 Lightning
M2Fortifications
M4A20 Havoc
M5B25 Mitchell
O1Para OBA
I1Para Coy
M3P38 Lightning
M2Fortifications

I really tagged him turn 1 and 2 inflicting 36 CVP to his 1 CVP. 2 bombs from P38s hit and rubbled the locations. His personal morale was suffering. Then the Japanese 150 OBA got rolling and boy did it tag me. All but 10 CVPs inflicted by the OBA. He had perfect drifts every time he corrected. The Rail Station was a bloody affair. I could not roll less than an 8 to save my life. 3:1s and I can't kill the IJA. He made me pay for that. My NOBA rubled one location with 3 HMGs and an 9-1 leader T1 but after that basically did nothing. 70 OBA was useful for smoke.

Lessons learned:

1. only use the minimal Infantry to accomplish the goal. I had too much infantry trying to take the Officers Quarters
  2. Don't buy planes. Japanese bought Heavy AA and it really took a toll. He killed the B25 outright with first shot. Many planes were TI and one got damaged. He had light OBA and MGs that caused numerous evades as well. Overall I got lucky but buying plans is just a gift to Japanese for CG VPs. I spent 3 CPP on the depleted Mitchell and he shot it down for 3 CG VP. That really sucked. Also, the A20s and B25s are basically flying trucks with the zero star.
  3. Use forts sparingly. The USA needs to be able to buy HIP and concealments for sniper bait as well as key Forts and trenches. I went way overboard and I'm regretting it.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Side note, the guy that played the Professor on Gilligans Island was a B25 navigator with 40 missions under his belt. His B25 was shot down over the PI in 1945 by Heavy IJA AA Fire as they were bombing that area.

1. only use the minimal Infantry to accomplish the goal. I had too much infantry trying to take the Officers Quarters
  2. Don't buy planes. Japanese bought Heavy AA and it really took a toll. He killed the B25 outright with first shot. Many planes were TI and one got damaged. He had light OBA and MGs that caused numerous evades as well. Overall I got lucky but buying plans is just a gift to Japanese for CG VPs. I spent 3 CPP on the depleted Mitchell and he shot it down for 3 CG VP. That really sucked. Also, the A20s and B25s are basically flying trucks with the zero star.
  3. Use forts sparingly. The USA needs to be able to buy HIP and concealments for sniper bait as well as key Forts and trenches. I went way overboard and I'm regretting it.

Ganjulama

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CG Day 5 was a hard day at The Rock which is turning into a dangerous place for the 503rd RCT. For once I had a great RePh and rolled up 18 CPP, battle hardened a 9-1 to a 9-2, and nothing was depleted. I bought:

I4HW Section
O1Para OBA
O2Batt Mortar OBA
V2Tank Pltn
I3Assault Eng
M1Sniper

I just went at the IJA old school hoping to take some ground and inflict as many CVP as possible. I did meet my objectives of taking officer quarters just south of the Parade Grounds and nibble a couple of hexes of the barracks. Para OBA Smoke was crucial for this allowing me to go into CC and for once rolling decently and killing 3 IJA squads.

The game went long ending on Turn 7. The big bonus was taking hexes LL14 and MM14 on a mad dash on the last turn. My opponent did not garrison these hexes (big mistake IMHO). I was also able to get 5 Engineers in front line locations to remove mines during the RePh.

The Tanks came in handy landing multiple WP and Smoke rounds. I kept most IJA postions shrouded in WP and pounded them with the buzzsaws. The Para OBA dropped Smoke every chance it got. The 80mm OBA drew Red / Black / Red and did not do anything in its 1 Fire Mission.

The IJA 150 OBA rubbled one buzzsaw but otherwise was largely ineffective. The Buzzsaw in Fortified building CC15 survived admirably even shrugging off a CH from a 75 AA gun as well as the constant 150 pounding. IJA only has one 150 OBA RG left to buy thank goodness.

On the CVP front things did not go well. IJA CVP sustained was 39 and USA CVP sustained was 21. Overall the count is 148 (IJA sustained) to 85 (USA sustained). So, I'm have a 63 point lead. I need to have 200 more than IJA at CG conclusion to win. I think this is way the Japanese win. I should easily have more location / CG VPs but killing IJA in stone buildings is hard.

Both side went Idle for 2/21. I was pretty happy that the IJA did not pull attack chit. However, there is not a lot of motivation for IJA to attack since any day not played is a day that CVPs are not inflicted and the USA is not taking ground.

Next session TBD but it might happen July 5th schedules permitting.

Ganjulama

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Next session on for 7/5. I bought 350 NOBA with OBO, 150 NOBA with SBO, and a company of Paratroopers. I need to inflict 137 CVPs without taking any of my own and take ~20 stone locations for the win. I have 2 more CG days to get the 200 CVP lead. I'm hoping I level the entire IJA held battlefield but with my OBA luck I don't think its gonna happen. I rolled like crap on CPP replenishment.

Last edited:

Ganjulama

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
More details later but 350mm OBA is the 2nd greatest thing in ASL. Only 400mm could be better. It’s the best tool by far for obliterating the IJA.

Spencer can keep his StuGs.

Ganjulama

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We wrapped up 22-Feb-1945 CG date yesterday. It was a bloody affair but good day for Rock Force. The 350 NOBA sterilized the Japanese positions. LOTS of rubbled buildings. The 150 NOBA was less effective but met my expectations. For once, I had a good extent of error and slaughter about 9 squads hiding the blind jungle hexes along with their leadership. Total CVP inflicted by USA was 125. USA sustained 27.

I hung onto officer country and made decent progress in the barracks. I control about 2/3 of this building.

The final count--USA have inflicted 207 more CVP than the Japanese (need 200) and USA controls 4 more building VPs. This one is going down to the wire because despite the causalities inflicted the Japanese still outnumber the USA. If the Japanese can get slightly ahead in CVPs next date they win. If they take 2 building locations and don't lose any of their own they win. This is where I'm really regretting buying the planes. I lost 5 CG VP due to one elimination and damage (and in hindsight I was lucky it was not more). With all the Japanese Heavy AA and light AA planes are just a bad buy because if they get shot down you are paying CPPs to give the Japanese CG VP. This might make the difference in the game.

The last CG date will be interesting. I've never had a CG come down the the last date before.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We wrapped up 22-Feb-1945 CG date yesterday. It was a bloody affair but good day for Rock Force. The 350 NOBA sterilized the Japanese positions. LOTS of rubbled buildings. The 150 NOBA was less effective but met my expectations. For once, I had a good extent of error and slaughter about 9 squads hiding the blind jungle hexes along with their leadership. Total CVP inflicted by USA was 125. USA sustained 27.

I hung onto officer country and made decent progress in the barracks. I control about 2/3 of this building.

The final count--USA have inflicted 207 more CVP than the Japanese (need 200) and USA controls 4 more building VPs. This one is going down to the wire because despite the causalities inflicted the Japanese still outnumber the USA. If the Japanese can get slightly ahead in CVPs next date they win. If they take 2 building locations and don't lose any of their own they win. This is where I'm really regretting buying the planes. I lost 5 CG VP due to one elimination and damage (and in hindsight I was lucky it was not more). With all the Japanese Heavy AA and light AA planes are just a bad buy because if they get shot down you are paying CPPs to give the Japanese CG VP. This might make the difference in the game.

The last CG date will be interesting. I've never had a CG come down the the last date before.
Don't forget about the last two items listed in the CG VP chart. US can get 20VP if less than 10 Japanese MMC east of a hexrow at game end, Japanese can get 20VP if less than 10 US MMC west of a hexrow at game end. Working right now so can't recall the exact hexrows. We had one CG playtest decided by this one thing. It is an easy item to overlook.

Last edited:

Ganjulama

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't forget about the last two items listed in the CG VP chart. US can get 20VP if less than 10 Japanese MMC east of a hexrow at game end, Japanese can get 20VP if less than 10 US MMC west of a hexrow at game end. Working right now so can't recall the exact hexrows. We had one CG playtest decided by this one thing. It is an easy item to overlook.
We remembered. It's a wash so far. No way the Japanese will fulfill theirs. The USA has a slight chance but do you risk loading up tanks for this gambit? I think not--too many potential CVPs on the line.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He made a parachute out of coconuts and palm fronds.
Got injured in the heel for his troubles as I recall. A lot of those actors fought in the war and received their acting training courtesy of the GI Bill.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Did you guys get a chance to play the last CG date yet?

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just got the pack and have a question for the air landing.

The rule for air drop says in/adjacent to a building takes a MC (2 MC on scenario 1). Is there clarification that you take multiple MC if you land beside many buildings or is that the way you interpreted it in play.

Also, the depletion rules have an exception that all it is NA for initial troops - which means you don't roll on day 1 for either side.

Just clarifying as I really want to start playing this CG right after Albany.

SFiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
MY take is that you take multiple MCs

Expect massive losses for your paratroopers and have a plan on where to go asap. I lost 90% of all my paratroopers the first day