CtR-10 Par for the Course

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
CtR-10 Par for the Course was brutal for Fanatic TW's IJA. played on the southeast corner of the BFP Corregidor map, the IJA have to get one more (building/rubble) VP than the Americans after 7.5 turns. there are a ton of J's! 10 squads with a bunch of SW's enter turn one in a restricted area in the SE corner. turn 2 IJA get 15 squads and a bunch of SW entering in a restricted area on the south edge, and on turn 5, 4 more squads enter from the south. the poor bastards have to cross the golf course

there are a good heap of American paras too. 10.5 squads and a heap of SW: .50, 3 MMG's, 60 MTR, 75* gun, 81 MTR setup and turn 4 reinforcements 8 squads, 2 MMG's, 2 DC's, FT. the .50 in the Lighthouse is like level 5 and he can see forever. the 81 MTR level 4 hill, MMG's in level 1 Officer's Quarters, can all see quite a bit. I put just a few dummies on the American right. the plan was to let him have the 25 VP or so far to the American front and right and make him fight for the core VP around the Lighthouse/Officer Quarters. only need one more VP than the other for the win

the Americans have tremendous LOS and the SW to deliver pain to anything moving. the Americans made the IJA suffer for every step. yes, the American dice were Flaming Hot, I have never had so many snake-eyes in my life, but there is a lot of ground, much of it open and all up hill, that the IJA must cross for the win

the American .50 was Murder Inc. it got rate after rate shot. 1/2 squad w/.50 broke once but rallied right back, got smoked once, but kept right on laying down the heat. all the other MMG's were effective in laying down fire lane's that ate up the IJA bodies

the butchers bill was steep as the IJA used everything they had to storm the American line. after a berserker and two DC hero's the IJA got building WW22 and YY22 of the Officer's Quarters but could not hold them. he did two banzai charges to no avail. a bunch of his leaders got killed and a bunch got wounded. after turn 5 the IJA conceded. he lost like 20 squads and 4 leaders. those IJA left on board were one GO leader, couple wounded leaders, and a bunch of scattered stripped/ELR'ed squads

I had fun slapping Ted's IJA around but after a while I was starting to feel bad for him. I mean what do the IJA got a do here? pray the paras Gak the HMG? just seems pretty tough on the IJA

really nice looking HASL can't wait to get into more of the scenarios

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played this one over the weekend. I lost as the Americans. The 50 cal got some ROF and good shots on turn one, then got smoked in. While covered in smoke, the sniper bagged the 9-1 directing the 50 cal. When the smoke cleared the 50 cal malfed and then X'd out. The Japanese HMG got ROF and double broke my 81mm mortar crew early, so two of my big weapons didn't contribute a lot. Japanese sniper is brutal in this one. Japanese need to be cautious early, get the their heavy weapons in place in the battery and get the smoke mortars popping. After that, some carefully planned banzais can do a lot of work. If the Japanse gack all the smoke rolls they are in trouble, but they can do it. The American defense is certainly easier and very straightforward vs what the Japanese have to coordinate. Good scenario I thought, assuming the Japanese get some smoke.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CtR-10 Par for the Course was brutal for Fanatic TW's IJA. played on the southeast corner of the BFP Corregidor map, the IJA have to get one more (building/rubble) VP than the Americans after 7.5 turns. there are a ton of J's! 10 squads with a bunch of SW's enter turn one in a restricted area in the SE corner. turn 2 IJA get 15 squads and a bunch of SW entering in a restricted area on the south edge, and on turn 5, 4 more squads enter from the south. the poor bastards have to cross the golf course

there are a good heap of American paras too. 10.5 squads and a heap of SW: .50, 3 MMG's, 60 MTR, 75* gun, 81 MTR setup and turn 4 reinforcements 8 squads, 2 MMG's, 2 DC's, FT. the .50 in the Lighthouse is like level 5 and he can see forever. the 81 MTR level 4 hill, MMG's in level 1 Officer's Quarters, can all see quite a bit. I put just a few dummies on the American right. the plan was to let him have the 25 VP or so far to the American front and right and make him fight for the core VP around the Lighthouse/Officer Quarters. only need one more VP than the other for the win

the Americans have tremendous LOS and the SW to deliver pain to anything moving. the Americans made the IJA suffer for every step. yes, the American dice were Flaming Hot, I have never had so many snake-eyes in my life, but there is a lot of ground, much of it open and all up hill, that the IJA must cross for the win

the American .50 was Murder Inc. it got rate after rate shot. 1/2 squad w/.50 broke once but rallied right back, got smoked once, but kept right on laying down the heat. all the other MMG's were effective in laying down fire lane's that ate up the IJA bodies

the butchers bill was steep as the IJA used everything they had to storm the American line. after a berserker and two DC hero's the IJA got building WW22 and YY22 of the Officer's Quarters but could not hold them. he did two banzai charges to no avail. a bunch of his leaders got killed and a bunch got wounded. after turn 5 the IJA conceded. he lost like 20 squads and 4 leaders. those IJA left on board were one GO leader, couple wounded leaders, and a bunch of scattered stripped/ELR'ed squads

I had fun slapping Ted's IJA around but after a while I was starting to feel bad for him. I mean what do the IJA got a do here? pray the paras Gak the HMG? just seems pretty tough on the IJA

really nice looking HASL can't wait to get into more of the scenarios
I found that, even though tempting, banzai charges are not the best way for the Japanese to cross all that open ground. Americans can lay just too many MG firelanes to dance through. Lay smoke and WP, use whatever terrain is available to close the range, mass an attack into the central officers' quarters (PP22 - TT22) to gain a foothold. From there, pick away at the Lighthouse defenses while working your way north through the admin buildings and west into the other officers' quarters. You can then take a more defensive posture and take buildings as opportunities arise. That seemed to work best overall in the play tests. But, if those American SW's get high ROF, no plan is a good plan. I do recall one playtester driving right up the two far right edge hexrows, taking some losses, but concentrating his force and gained access in edge buildings. He used kill stacks to break American strongpojnts and slowly worked his way forward. Japanese always seemed to take heavy losses, and when they won it was in the last turn. Hope that helps.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I found that, even though tempting, banzai charges are not the best way for the Japanese to cross all that open ground. Americans can lay just too many MG firelanes to dance through. Lay smoke and WP, use whatever terrain is available to close the range, mass an attack into the central officers' quarters (PP22 - TT22) to gain a foothold. From there, pick away at the Lighthouse defenses while working your way north through the admin buildings and west into the other officers' quarters. You can then take a more defensive posture and take buildings as opportunities arise. That seemed to work best overall in the play tests. But, if those American SW's get high ROF, no plan is a good plan. I do recall one playtester driving right up the two far right edge hexrows, taking some losses, but concentrating his force and gained access in edge buildings. He used kill stacks to break American strongpojnts and slowly worked his way forward. Japanese always seemed to take heavy losses, and when they won it was in the last turn. Hope that helps.
I been thinking on how I would tackle this one as the IJA. I think I want to give them ago but I think it will be tough sledding. smoke is key for sure but as you said and as Ted saw, a .50 on a hot streak is devastating. Ted got one good smoke round on the Lighthouse and his HMG's did break my HMG 1/2 squad. but, he had no smoke on one MTR (1st shot) and the other Gak'ed right after he got a good smoke shot. there are a lot of IJA but that is a lot of ground to cover. everything has to break their way but, they only need one more VP for the win!

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I been thinking on how I would tackle this one as the IJA. I think I want to give them ago but I think it will be tough sledding. smoke is key for sure but as you said and as Ted saw, a .50 on a hot streak is devastating. Ted got one good smoke round on the Lighthouse and his HMG's did break my HMG 1/2 squad. but, he had no smoke on one MTR (1st shot) and the other Gak'ed right after he got a good smoke shot. there are a lot of IJA but that is a lot of ground to cover. everything has to break their way but, they only need one more VP for the win!
As the Japanese, that Level 1 crest line of the Golf Course is your friend.