CS and XP - The How To Thread

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Can we make this a sticky?

An excerpt from the PB#2 manual:

The Campaign Series and Windows XP

Do the Campaign Series games operate under Windows XP?

Quite simply, yes they do.

A few steps are required to do so.

1. Update Windows XP with the latest patches available.
2. Ensure all your drivers are up-to-date for the hardware on your computer.
3. The Campaign Series prefers 16-bit colour, although I do not appear to have a problem running 32-bit.
4. Scroll down the list and follow the related steps below depending on the game you are playing.

East Front (EF)

1. Install East Front
2. Install the East Front Campaign Disc (CD1), if you have it
3. Go here: ftp://209.164.73.216/pub/patches/campaign_series/
4. a. Download and install ef_108_us.exe if you only own US version of EF
b. Download and install ef_108_uk.exe of you only own the UK version of EF
c. Download and install efcd_108a_us.exe if you own the US versions of EF and CD1.
d. Download and install efmp_108a_uk.exe if you own the UK versions of EF and CD1.
5. Install the Blitz’s EF II expansion Project Blitzkrieg #3 (PB#3) if you have it
6. Run the game and start a new campaign, any campaign.
7. Save the campaign in your East Front folder. XP has a tendency to save the campaign files in ‘My Documents’ – which will cause the game to crash and give you an odd-looking campaign menu screen.
8. Although it should not be required, open a new scenario and repeat the process.

East Front II / Eastern Front II (EFII)

1. Install East Front II
2. Install the East Front II expansion Fall of the Reich (FOTR) disc if you have it
3. Go here: ftp://209.164.73.216/pub/patches/campaign_series/
4. a. Download and install NEW-EF2-US-v102.exe if you only own US version of EFII
b. Download and install NEW-EF2-UK-v102.exe of you only own the UK version of EFII
c. Download and install NEW-EF2-GER-v102.exe of you only own the German version of EFII
d. If you have installed Fall of the Reich (FOTR), a patch is NOT required
5. Install the Blitz’s EF II expansion Project Blitzkrieg #1 (PB#1) if you have it
For EFII without FOTR
1. Install PB#1
2. Select Version (1.02)
3. Select components
4. Continue with remainder of installation
For EFII with FOTR
1. Install PB#1
2. Select Components
3. Select Version (1.03)
4. Continue with remainder of the installation
6. Install the Blitz’s EF II expansion Project Blitzkrieg #2 (PB#2) if you have it
7. Run the game and start a new campaign, any campaign.
8. Save the campaign in your East Front II folder. XP has a tendency to save the campaign files in ‘My Documents’ – which will cause the game to crash and give you an odd-looking campaign menu screen.
9. Although it should not be required, open a new scenario and repeat the process.

West Front / Western Front (WF)

1. Install West Front
2. Install the West Front expansion Battle Pack 1 (BP1) disc if you have it
3. Install the West Front expansion Operation Sealion (OS) disc if you have it
4. Go here: ftp://209.164.73.216/pub/patches/campaign_series/
5. a. Download and install wf_105_us.exe if you only own US version of WF
b. Download and install wf_105_uk.exe of you only own the UK version of WF
c. Download and install wfbp1_105_us.exe of you own the US versions of WF and BP1
d. If you have installed West Front with the Operation Sealion expansion, a patch is NOT required
6. Run the game and start a new campaign, any campaign.
7. Save the campaign in your West Front folder. XP has a tendency to save the campaign files in ‘My Documents’ – which will cause the game to crash and give you an odd-looking campaign menu screen.
8. Although it should not be required, open a new scenario and repeat the process.

Divided Ground (DG)

1. Install Divided Ground
2. Go here: http://www.download.com/Divided-Ground-Middle-East-Conflict-1-02-patch/3000-7491_4-10236381.html
3. Download and install dgv_102.exe
4. Run the game and start a new campaign, any campaign.
5. Save the campaign in your Divided Ground folder. XP has a tendency to save the campaign files in ‘My Documents’ – which will cause the game to crash and give you an odd-looking campaign menu screen.
6. Although it should not be required, open a new scenario and repeat the process.

Europe in Flames (EiF)

1. Install the Europe in Flames Disc One (EiFWF)
2. No patches are required for EiF1.
3. Run the game and start a new campaign, any campaign.
4. Save the campaign in your West Front folder. XP has a tendency to save the campaign files in ‘My Documents’ – which will cause the game to crash and give you an odd-looking campaign menu screen.
5. Although it should not be required, open a new scenario and repeat the process.
6. Install the Europe in Flames Disc Two (EiFEFII)
7. Install the East Front expansion Fall of the Reich (FOTR) if you have it
8. Go here: ftp://209.164.73.216/pub/patches/campaign_series/
a. Download and install eif_disk2_102_us.exe
b. If you installed FOTR, no patch is required.
9. Install the Blitz’s EF II expansion Project Blitzkrieg #1 (PB#1) if you have it
For EFII without FOTR
1. Install PB#1
2. Select Version (1.02)
3. Select components
4. Continue with remainder of installation
For EFII with FOTR
1. Install PB#1
2. Select Components
3. Select Version (1.03)
10. Run the game and start a new campaign, any campaign.
11. Save the campaign in your East Front II folder. XP has a tendency to save the campaign files in ‘My Documents’ – which will cause the game to crash and give you an odd-looking campaign menu screen.
12. Although it should not be required, open a new scenario and repeat the process.

World at War (WaW)

1. Install the World At War Disc One (WaW-WF)
2. No patches are required for WaW-WF.
3. Run the game and start a new campaign, any campaign.
4. Save the campaign in your West Front folder. XP has a tendency to save the campaign files in ‘My Documents’ – which will cause the game to crash and give you an odd-looking campaign menu screen.
5. Although it should not be required, open a new scenario and repeat the process.
6. Install the World at War Disc Two (WaW-EFII)
7. Install the Blitz’s EF II expansion Project Blitzkrieg #1 (PB#1) if you have it
1. Install PB#1
2. Select Components
3. Select Version (1.03)
8. Run the game and start a new campaign, any campaign.
9. Save the campaign in your East Front II folder. XP has a tendency to save the campaign files in ‘My Documents’ – which will cause the game to crash and give you an odd-looking campaign menu screen.
10. Although it should not be required, open a new scenario and repeat the process.
11. Install the World At War Disc Three (WaW-RS)
12. No patches are required for WaW-RS.
13. Run the game and start a new campaign, any campaign.
14. Save the campaign in your Rising Sun folder. XP has a tendency to save the campaign files in ‘My Documents’ – which will cause the game to crash and give you an odd-looking campaign menu screen.
15. Although it should not be required, open a new scenario and repeat the process.

If you are still having problems at this point, contact me directly and we will get you up and running. jasonp(a)theblitz.org

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ray -- why not mention to the powers that be that this be given its own link on the site along with the pertinent patches. It seems like whenever I'm perusing the forums I often see Jason trying to help someone with installation issues. Bet he'd appreciate it.

Krink

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I made this a sticky thread, so it will always remain at the top. I will see if we need to add a link also. But I think having this thread at the top of the forum should work quite well.

Cheers,
Ray

Big Ivan

Reaction score
Excellent update Jason!! This should help a lot of fellow gamers.

Krink: I like your plan for keeping it at the top. Never know when someone will have to refer to it in the future.

Cheers!
Big Ivan

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Which version of East Front is it?

In the game:
Help --> About Talonsoft East Front II

or

In the map editor
Help --> About

Take care and good luck
Jason Petho

Red1945

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llChina
Jason Petho said:
Which version of East Front is it?

In the game:
Help --> About Talonsoft East Front II

or

In the map editor
Help --> About

Take care and good luck
Jason Petho
Thank you,my operating system is MS-windows98Se,
The version of East Front is East FrontII 1.01a.The Chinese edition of East front will crash if Imake a map by myself,so are many Chinese users.But many of us find West Front II haven't encount this problem.

=TFM=Melvin

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
New here. Have mercy. :cheeky:

Jason Petho, FANTASTIC help you've given us. :salute:

INSTALLATION PROBLEM -- The file needed to fix this is DSETUP.DLL and is at the IP you list, but there are no instructions. Here's a quote I found; I think it originally came from TalonSoft (*)

November 28, 2000

TalonSoft Customers:

Since the release of Microsoft’s DirectX 7.0, conflicts between it and certain Install Shield scripts have been identified. As a result of changes in DirectX operation, many TalonSoft products created prior to the release of DirectX 7.0 are unable to install properly without a workaround.

Direct X 7.0 and later versions will cause installation problems with East Front II, West Front, West Front Battlepack, West Front Elite Edition, West Front: Operation Sea Lion, Chickamauga, and the entire Operational Art of War series.

For Problems Installing TalonSoft games with DirectX 7.0 or higher versions installed:

Symptom: The Install Shield either crashes or fails to complete when it attempts to install versions of DirectX included on our game CDs after the user has already installed the latest release of DirectX. This results in no installation of game files. To remedy this, follow these instructions to bypass the installation of DirectX:

. . Step 1: Download this file, Dsetup.Dll to a secure location on your hard drive or Desktop.
. . Step 2: Open up your Windows/Temp folder using My Computer or Windows Explorer. Select all of its contents and delete them from your hard drive. Do not remove the Temp folder itself.
. . Step 3: Insert the game CD and begin the installation process.
. . Step 4: As soon as the installation process begins, minimize the Install Shield window and locate your copy of Dsetup.Dll, right click on it and select Copy. Go into the Windows/Temp folder and Refresh its contents. You will notice a new folder inside it called _istmp. Open this folder, right click inside it and select paste to put Dsetup.Dll in it, overwriting the one that was already there.
. . Step 5: Maximize the Install Shield program and finish the installation process.

Alternative Installation Method:

For the Battleground Series and Campaign Series: Copy the game folder from the CD directly to your hard drive either by dragging between open windows or by Copying and Pasting. You must then run the game using the .exe file included in the program folder you just copied. You may make shortcuts on the desktop to the .exe files, but you must fill in the Start In: section of any shortcut made to include the path to the game files on your hard drive. You may also make shortcuts on your Start Menu following the same procedure.

Please feel free to contact our TECHNICAL SUPPORT DEPARTMENT for assistance with these procedures.
(*) Amazing that www.talonsoft.com doesn't have support information or even a modest download section with just the latest patches. No pride in their brandname, I guess. Or, did I miss something?

thegame211

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can't get WF to work

Hi i have Western Front, trying to run it on windows xp. I have tried to update the patch to 1.05 and 1.06 and also tried running it in different compatibilities yet everytime I can get into the game as in the main menu. However when i go to start up a game it tells me i'm using the wrong versions of windows and tells me it "sorry not supported on windows NT" as far as i know i have all the latest drivers for my computer. Any answers??

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
thegame211 said:
Hi i have Western Front, trying to run it on windows xp. I have tried to update the patch to 1.05 and 1.06 and also tried running it in different compatibilities yet everytime I can get into the game as in the main menu. However when i go to start up a game it tells me i'm using the wrong versions of windows and tells me it "sorry not supported on windows NT" as far as i know i have all the latest drivers for my computer. Any answers??
Make sure that when you install the 1.05 patch, it goes in the right location. Default path for the patch is C:\Program Files\Talonsoft\West Front

If you installed it anywhere else, you will have to browse to create the proper install path.

A second thing would be to ensure your XP is updated with the SP2 Update available at http://www.microsoft.com

Standard for most clubs is the 1.05 patch, as it was the last "official" patch by Talonsoft. The 1.06, although released, was later pulled.

Take care and good luck
Jason Petho

Last edited:

thegame211

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
wow thanks

yea for some reason the drive was out of view and it was going to my backup drive, now it works fine thanks a lot and especially for the quick response.

pooch

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I followed directions to load WF BP1 & OS no problems. Followed instructions for EF II installed NEW-EF2-US-v102.exe, I get the following after I choose either Scenario/Campaign - "ef.exe - Ordinal Not Found the ordinal 6605 could not be located in the dynamic link library MCF42.DLL" Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
pooch
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
pooch said:
I followed directions to load WF BP1 & OS no problems. Followed instructions for EF II installed NEW-EF2-US-v102.exe, I get the following after I choose either Scenario/Campaign - "ef.exe - Ordinal Not Found the ordinal 6605 could not be located in the dynamic link library MCF42.DLL" Any help would be appreciated.
Good evening.

Which version of East Front II do you have? Where did you get the patch?

Jason Petho

pooch

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Patch from theblitz.org
Readme file 1.0 3/99 U.S.

Solved downloaded from listed site EFII up and running!
thanks
pooch

Last edited:

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
pooch said:
Patch from theblitz.org
Readme file 1.0 3/99 U.S.

Solved downloaded from listed site EFII up and running!
thanks
pooch

Brilliant!! Enjoy the gaming!

Take care and good luck
Jason Petho

Warhero

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I just installed Divided Ground and then installed 1.02 patch. Then I went into Campaign section and started 1st campaign. As I tried to save game, then came "Please add correct cd into cd-drive" (or something like that) :( ... Could anyone help me? What I did wrong?

Warhero

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Hey, I just noticed from one Finnish game board that announced that "if you use 1.02 patch, you must remove DG.ICD from your game folder". Well I just checked that my DG had not that file at all!!!??? Hmm weird isn't it? What I can do now? Reinstall game once again?