CS and XP - The How To Thread

Tank Killer

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Still can't get West Front to load!

Hey everyone, I am new to this but I am trying to install West Front and I can not get past the installation. As soon as I insert the disk I am getting this message "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose "Close" to terminate the application." Anyone out there got a cure for this. I really loved this game and hope to be able to play it again! Thanks for any help with this. I've tried everthing metioned in this thread but still no luck.

Jason Petho

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hey everyone, I am new to this but I am trying to install West Front and I can not get past the installation. As soon as I insert the disk I am getting this message "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose "Close" to terminate the application." Anyone out there got a cure for this. I really loved this game and hope to be able to play it again! Thanks for any help with this. I've tried everthing metioned in this thread but still no luck.
Check your mail, Allen!

Take care and good luck
Jason Petho

Tank Killer

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks!

Thanks Jason and Gnrl Confusion! I got the program up and going again with both of yours help. Thanks again for the help and links!

Fenris

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy, folks. I'm trying to get my copy of East Front II to cooperate, and I've followed the instructions. So far, so good. The only problem that I have is that I can't get the background music to play when selected. I can choose background sound or background music, but I always seem to get the distant gunfire and other sounds.

I managed to, through a now-forgotten series of clicks and hoops, get Goebbels' Greatest Hits for a single turn, so it must be possible. What do I do from here? I've managed to get it working in a saved scenario, but it's looping. That can't be fixed due to DirectX, right?

On the other hand, it seems to be sort of random. I got music and unit sounds to work together, so it looks like it'll be a roll of the dice each time out.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not sure about this one. Maybe a sound card driver. I think most people play with the music off, so I'm not sure how much help anyone can give you. Did you patch the game? I'm also not sure how the game utilizes the sound files. The East Front folder should have a bunch of .wav files which are the sound effects, but I didn't see the music files. The might be on the CD and play from there, or they might be compiled into the program. Try to find them and see if they play outside the game in whatever your default player for wav files is. If your default player is something other than windows media player, try switching the default to that and see if it works. Kind of a long shot though.

My brother likes to play with the music on too, but he's nuts.

Hams

Reaction score
Country
ll
East Front (EF)
b. Download and install ef_108_uk.exe of you only own the UK version of EF

West Front / Western Front (WF)
b. Download and install wf_105_uk.exe of you only own the UK version of WF
Does anyone have these patches as these links are no longer working? I've tried searching for them but have had no luck, so far.

Thanks,
Hamish

Wolf

Reaction score
Country
ll
If you are still using the Talonsoft version, the WF disc should be automatically patched to 1.05 on the install. The EF patch should be available from the Blitz Wargame Club

Last edited: