Crysis 2 Multiplayer Vid

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks rather conventional:

[video=youtube;QQIwUTifsz8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQIwUTifsz8[/video]

But Crytek is looking to dethrone CoD:

Who do you see as your rival for this particular project?

The Call of Duty games have a phenomenal record. They are more realistic in their setting than our sci-fi approach, but they are the benchmark in many ways for the quality. In multiplayer you see the numbers that they achieve and continue to achieve in terms of sales and ongoing players. We'd like to exceed what they achieve.
Nothing in that vid seems to indicate they are anywhere close to achieving that.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
From a gameplay standpoint the first Crysis was pretty good. The main problem I had with it was the inability to run it on quality settings even with a really high end machine. As for Crysis 2 vs. Call of Duty in gameplay, it won't be possible to make a comparison until we have both games. But I will say this. Crysis absolutely blows Call of Duty out of the water in the graphics department. On high settings the game was as close as I've ever seen to actually living up to the term "photorealistic." Some of the maps were just drop dead gorgeous, but even my uber game machine choked on Crysis at high settings.

That was then, this is now.

Now I have a machine that will run both Crysis and Crysis Warhead on high settings the way the game meant to be played. And it isn't just eye candy, either, because all that detail and advanced lighting makes the maps a lot more immersive and fun. Still, my bet is that both of these turn out to be very solid first-person shooters.

P.S. Of course I'm talking about the PC version and it may be a different story with the X360 version.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I always viewed CoD as whoring itself out to gain popularity and also dumbing itself down quite a bit. In the new version out, Black Ops, my gf's brother told me that you have to reach level 19 to play hard core mode in multiplayer instead of just right out the gates. Unless there is a realism mod or you play hardcore mode I never felt like the CoD series was
more realistic in their setting
Most of the time I feel like they lack imagination and just copy from other games, movies, whatever. There's a TON of untapped wars and possible wars from which they can access and other parts of WWII which still have yet to be portrayed as well. It's nice in the modern setting but I think BF2 did that very well (not to mention the ARMAII series). CoD.... not so much imho.

As for the Crysis series... I'm jealous of everyone who can play it.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm dying for somebody to take a crack at a sci-fi shooter like Battlefield 2142 (which is long in the tooth now, and mysteriously unavailable on Steam). The only one out there at the moment is Section 8, but I don't care for the whole jetpack thing which makes bunny-hopping a necessity instead of an evil. I just want a gritty, down to earth sci-fi shooter.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Killzone is the only one that comes to mind. And I'm only talking about the first one that came out for the PS2 that I play constantly. As far as I know it's the only console game that includes bots that are pretty competent and the storyline isn't so bad either.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think they just killed Crysis 2 for PC gamers:

MP Interview Vid

Surprise! MP will only include 6v6! Yippee! Why stop there!?! If you really want an "intimate" gameplay, why not just make it 1v1?!? Awesome!

Are they serious?