Crossing The Moro TM

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I recently completed a playing of this TM and it was quite rewarding. 4 Dates with very manageable force sizes. Each Date usually consisted of what I consider to be a Medium-size scenario (perhaps a smidge larger), and thus played fairly quickly.....although each Date went the entire 8 Turns! A very fun map to play on with multiple levels of vineyards and olive groves. Also, in a 3-way ASL-Rarity Bingo, I Hampered a flame, extinguished a flame, and Climbed down a cliff all in the same turn!

The primary intent of this post is to point out an anomaly that may well present itself during play. If the Germans choose the Bombardment on Date 1/Turn 1, it has the potential to be like OzB in the Raging Fire department. The Germans chose thus, and it left a couple of flames in burnable terrain. Enough AFPh DRs, and you eventually get the 10's-11's-and 12's necessary to spread them, even with the Moist conditions. Mind you, the Canadians have no real incentive to extinguish them on the front-face of the village where the Germans are initially attacking towards. The special German-purchase of side entry did not seem to have any bearing either on whether or not to let it burn. Well, by the time the Germans had mounted a serious assault on the initial buildings in the front of the village, half the hexes were Blazes, including the group of woods right below the base of the village. When a Mild Breeze was rolled for Date 2, all hell broke loose. By the end of Date 4, only the back row of rowhouse buildings was left unscathed, every other building/woods on map was a Blaze or Rubble/Open Ground. Even though many became rubble, this really slows down the German attack and denies much more than ADJ LOS.

So, my humble suggestion is that one use the OzB 'fire errata' on this one as well. Per the rules as written, at the end of each Date every flame counter is flipped over to become a Blaze. Per the OzB errata, roll a die, if it is 1-4 remove the flame, if it is 5-6 it becomes a Blaze. If the German does not purchase the initial Bombardment, one will likely never seek this contingency; if he does buy it, one may well regret not using the fire errata from OzB (posted on LCP website under ERRATA). The entire village in flames/rubble sure made for some exciting ASL, don't get me wrong, but I also feel it instantly quashes any chance of the Germans being competitive in the TM. However, it was more than fun enough for me to want to have another go at it!

Has anyone else had this occur?