Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
With Cross of Iron AH introduced terrain substitution into the SL system, no hills, hills are woods, etc. Some players have a difficult time visualize these substitutions. I went through the Cross of Iron scenarios that I could find and made overlays for the terrain substitutions except for board 2. Board 2 hills are large and typically converted to flat (non hill) terrain. There are four sheets of terrain overlays. Each sheet should print out at the right size if you set your color printer to have 1/4 inch margins on all four sides and print in landscape format. Hopefully I will have them posted to the resource page by Sunday evening. Images attached.

Attachments

Last edited:

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
And the relevance to Advanced Squad Leader is ...? Please pay attention to where you're posting.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
And the relevance to Advanced Squad Leader is ...? Please pay attention to where you're posting.
Capture of Balta - Journal 2
Blocking Action at Lipki - ASL Annual ‘92
Slamming of the Door - Beyond Valor 3d
Bald Hill - Turning the Tide
Beachhead At Ozereyka Bay - ASL Annual ‘91
The Agony of Doom - Beyond Valor 3d

There are more. They might have changed the scenarios to exclude terrain substitutions. If you don't want the overlays, don't download them. It's not like you are paying for them.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Thanks, Randy, the Balta overlays are much appreciated as it's a favourite ASL conversion scenario of mine.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, Randy, the Balta overlays are much appreciated as it's a favourite ASL conversion scenario of mine.
You might want to download the "revised version" 'cuz it has a few extra bonus wood overlays.

rwpikul

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well, they're still fully functional overlays for boards that are used in ASL. Plus, not only have at least some of the scenarios been converted, there is nothing stopping people from converting the rest, (be that for potential publication or just because they want to try it).

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With Cross of Iron AH introduced terrain substitution into the SL system, no hills, hills are woods, etc. Some players have a difficult time visualize these substitutions. I went through the Cross of Iron scenarios that I could find and made overlays for the terrain substitutions except for board 2. Board 2 hills are large and typically converted to flat (non hill) terrain. There are four sheets of terrain overlays. Each sheet should print out at the right size if you set your color printer to have 1/4 inch margins on all four sides and print in landscape format. Hopefully I will have them posted to the resource page by Sunday evening. Images attached.
Randy what were the overlays that came out in Rivers to the Reich? Those might be these same overlays.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Randy what were the overlays that came out in Rivers to the Reich? Those might be these same overlays.
Nope. They never made any overlays for the COI scenarios. From MMP website: "Two sheets of overlays, replicating those that originally appeared in the Squad Leader module GI: Anvil Of Victory, are also included."

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
There are more.
There aren't any. The updated scenarios either use actual ASL overlays, use different boards, or don't change the terrain significantly in ways that require overlay usage at all. Did you not do any ASL research at all? Or did you just look at a bunch of CoI scenarios and think how you could update them, without bothering to check to see if it had already been done? Wasted effort and inappropriate for this discussion board, which is about ASL, not CoI.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
There aren't any. The updated scenarios either use actual ASL overlays, use different boards, or don't change the terrain significantly in ways that require overlay usage at all. Did you not do any ASL research at all?
Nope. Did not feel like digging through all 1000 or so scenario cards I possess to check.

Or did you just look at a bunch of CoI scenarios and think how you could update them, without bothering to check to see if it had already been done?
Yep. Been poking around on the various SL and ASL websites, etc. and one person made a request for overlays for Capture of Balta on an ASL website and I thought I could add to the content of SL and ASL. You've been the only one that doesn't like it so yours is obviously a singular viewpoint.

Wasted effort and inappropriate for this discussion board, which is about ASL, not CoI.
IMO the only wasted effort involved is responding to your post. I spent time creating new overlays for anybody to use, SL or ASL, adding to the content of both. You spend your time reading posts and trying to censure content to your narrow vision of what SL and ASL are. I think fans of both games will appreciate my 'wasted effort' more than yours.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
There aren't any. The updated scenarios either use actual ASL overlays, use different boards, or don't change the terrain significantly in ways that require overlay usage at all. Did you not do any ASL research at all? Or did you just look at a bunch of CoI scenarios and think how you could update them, without bothering to check to see if it had already been done? Wasted effort and inappropriate for this discussion board, which is about ASL, not CoI.
Utterly uncalled for!

Someone offers something that though rooted in SL can still be used in ASL, as is, any without rules conflict. While you might have no interest in such an item, others may. And it's FREE, it won't cost you your house, children or pets. We do not dismiss Board 1 because it originated in SL, it's 100% compatible with ASL, though Board 1's past overuse may be a problem for some.

So someone offers a free item to the community and you bitch!!!!!

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If ya don't like 'em, don't use 'em. Problem solved.:nod:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Jim Stahler did a fine job adapting about all SL-COI-COD-GIAV scenarios to ASL.
I play those adaptations, without looking back at the obsolete ones.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Jim Stahler did a fine job adapting about all SL-COI-COD-GIAV scenarios to ASL.
I play those adaptations, without looking back at the obsolete ones.
I welcome the initiative of creating the overlays.
At the same time, I'd probably take the same path as Swiftandsure

von Marwitz

rwpikul

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Someone offers something that though rooted in SL can still be used in ASL, as is, any without rules conflict.
It looks like the only problem with these overlays is that they lack the positioning numbers. This isn't too much of an issue if being used in the original locations but the alignment numbers would make them more flexible.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
It looks like the only problem with these overlays is that they lack the positioning numbers. This isn't too much of an issue if being used in the original locations but the alignment numbers would make them more flexible.
A valid point, easily rectified by Randy. If you're into DYO like me they are still very useful without the numbers.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Overlays with position numbers are in the resources, too big for posting in thread.