Croix de Guerre Second Edition now available for preorder.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Blitzkrieg (Len Deighton) .... are all favourites of mine
If you haven't read it in the original Klingon, you have no real means of appreciating it.

Tuomo said:
So is there a good book to read about Dinant, for purposes of getting interested in the HASL?
How about an obscure operational level boardgame?

This is not an endorsement.

Dinant 1940 seems to get overshadowed by the crossing at Sedan and other more famous battles like Stonne. Which is even more justification for treating it to an HASL.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Also, while Battle of Dinant on Wikipedia only gets you the First World War story, the French Wikipedia has a whole page devoted to the 1940 battle

The footnotes lead to interesting places like this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Which one needs to get to the preorder number? CDG2 or CDG2 and WO Pack 11? Do they both need to make preorder number or will one suffice? Do both need to make it? Or a combination of both?

I ordered the CDG2 with WO Pack. How did that help?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Which one needs to get to the preorder number? CDG2 or CDG2 and WO Pack 11? Do they both need to make preorder number or will one suffice? Do both need to make it? Or a combination of both?

I ordered the CDG2 with WO Pack. How did that help?
The WO Packs never go on pre-order, so I am pretty both pre-orders for CdG+WO and just CdG count towards the 850.

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The WO Packs never go on pre-order, so I am pretty both pre-orders for CdG+WO and just CdG count towards the 850.
Being a core module (making the p# is not a requirement), and with release at the upcoming WO, it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't already at the printer. I expect the shrink wrap on the copies available at WO may still be warm when we pick them up. ?

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I understand the business necessity that drives MMP's current production model, but it would sure serve the hobby as a whole to have at least all the core modules/components continuously available without long periods where they are out of stock. Of course having MMP go out of business due to financial pressure wouldn't serve the hobby well either ...

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I don't recall too many of the ones that I've personally read devoting a huge amount of space to the Dinant operation specifically.
Osprey Publishing's Campaign series title Fall Gelb 1940: Panzer breakthrough in the West (2014: pp. 41-46) contains a good overview with splendid detail of units and formations involved. The accompanying map provides a broader look at 5. PzD and 7. PzD. operations. (I buy this series because I find that, in addition to providing a good overview, the series contains a list of book recommendations at the back. The author of Fall Gelb 1941 (1) includes Pallud's Blitzkrieg in the West: Then and Now (1991) in his section noting that Pallud's book is "exceptionally comprehensive" and "lavishly illustrated," despite the text being largely lifted from secondary sources. (Not be be confused with Peter Cornwell's The Battle of France, Then and Now published in 2007, which is concerned with the air battle.)

Blitzkrieg (Len Deighton) and The Blitzkrieg Legend (Karl-Heinz Frieser)
Have both of these, and both devote about the same amount of space to this bridgehead. First published in 1979 (I have the 2000 printing), Deighton's book is a "popular" history that gives a flavourful, yet solid, account of Rommel's spirited efforts to cross the Meuse in force (pp. 209-216). Blitzkrieg also has a contemporary photo of the ferrying operations at Bouvignes where Rommel pushed some of his armour across the river before the pontoon bridge had been completed.

Frieser's work (2005: see, especially pages 227-233) contains a good shot of the island at Houx, where Kradschützen of 5. PzD first crossed along the weir, along with a photo of a 7. PzD AC being ferried across the river just south of this island. More generally, TBL contains a slew of wonderfully detailed colour maps, one reason why I commend this work to anyone drawn to the 1940 campaign.

Last edited:

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Didn't Rommel single-handed-ly capture the bridge, build a second pontoon bridge, seize the opposite bank and para-drop into Paris? I seem to have read that somewhere.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are there Vichy/Free French-specific vehicles? Or is it just the original set of blue, tan and green? If new vehicle variants, I'm going to have to update my "print your own turret counters" French set ... ?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Asking the real question:

Will The 2 Half Squads's Jeff Hallett be featured on a counter?
Jeff said he wanted to be on the Turn counter. He just couldn't decide whether he should be Axis or Allies.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Didn't Rommel single-handed-ly capture the bridge, build a second pontoon bridge, seize the opposite bank and para-drop into Paris? I seem to have read that somewhere.
Pretty sure that was on the History Channel also, though you may have the paradrop confused with him Tokyo drifting across the frozen Seine in a semi-trailer truck.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I understand the business necessity that drives MMP's current production model, but it would sure serve the hobby as a whole to have at least all the core modules/components continuously available without long periods where they are out of stock. Of course having MMP go out of business due to financial pressure wouldn't serve the hobby well either ...
It could always be picked up by CH, their production schedule seems to be in full swing!?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Osprey Publishing's Campaign series title Fall Gelb 1940: Panzer breakthrough in the West (2014: pp. 41-46) contains a good overview with splendid detail of units and formations involved. The accompanying map provides a broader look at 5. PzD and 7. PzD. operations. (I buy this series because I find that, in addition to providing a good overview, the series contains a list of book recommendations at the back. The author of Fall Gelb 1941 (1) includes Pallud's Blitzkrieg in the West: Then and Now (1991) in his section noting that Pallud's book is "exceptionally comprehensive" and "lavishly illustrated," despite the text being largely lifted from secondary sources. (Not be be confused with Peter Cornwell's The Battle of France, Then and Now published in 2007, which is concerned with the air battle.)
Osprey has gotten leagues better in the last decades, compared to their state of the art in the 70s and 80s. Agree that the Campaign books are really well done. Even better are the Battleground Europe series - but I doubt they've covered Dinant yet.

Then and Now has always been good but as you point out - they are now just lifting chapters from public domain "official histories" and using them to flesh out their then-and-now photo studies. Still worth it, though it is possible to visit most European battlefields using Google Earth and Google Maps for "now" photos, and download the American, Canadian, New Zealand official army histories for free.

Perfect example - original war art of Ravenna circa 1945 by Canadian war artist, inset the Google street view of the same location today.

Last edited:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Are there Vichy/Free French-specific vehicles? Or is it just the original set of blue, tan and green? If new vehicle variants, I'm going to have to update my "print your own turret counters" French set ... ?
No there are not. Perry confirmed this. Only colour specific SW.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

Here's a link to the Battleground books - the ones I have are really good (they also do a series on First World War battlefields) - D-Day and Market-Garden stuff mostly. But I see a title on Arras and some other 1940 titles.