Croix de Guerre Second Edition now available for preorder.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
In some minor way this is starting to sound like a CH business model.
"Lets reprint a module with 'update scenarios' and add something for an addition and sell it again."
In fact... with the number of maps now in existence, I personally would be just as happy with "just counters and scenarios" in one ziplock package.
Or if you must have maps, just switch over to historical maps, then we would not have to worry about making maps fit the situation.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The problem will always be that different customers are going to have different needs and unfortunately MMP probably will never be able to fulfill everyone's "wants."

Want to get into ASL and acquire a "complete" core system? Modules is the way to go.

Want to score maps for APs that you missed out on? Would be nice (if more expensive) to be able to buy maps ala cart.

Want to refresh your old, tired German counters? Being able to buy counter sheet sets would be swell.

Want to have a latest, greatest, updated rule book? It would be great to be able to buy latest versions of all the chapters.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Want to get into ASL and acquire a "complete" core system? Modules is the way to go.

True and that makes a good point, but core modules do not have to have the extras like a CG.
Sell CG as you do an "Action PacK'

Want to score maps for APs that you missed out on? Would be nice (if more expensive) to be able to buy maps ala cart.
I agree

Want to refresh your old, tired German counters? Being able to buy counter sheet sets would be swell.
An excellent idea.

Want to have a latest, greatest, updated rule book? It would be great to be able to buy latest versions of all the chapters.
Yep
And all the above wpould be great, but they are still following a CH business model (at present).

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No question, I am definitely not a fan of the CH model.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
All right, I can follow that some want only Dinant, others only CdG.
This forum provides perfect means to sort this out and to get people together so that each side can get the element that it wants. This problem is not really difficult to solve.

As opposed to Bruce, I find selling boards separately (either per piece or in a bundle) the perfect way to make them available as an alternative to them being included in core modules. We all know that some Core Modules are always out of stock. As a newbie to complete your collection of maps, you might take decades to do it by the Core Module way. If you are in your 50's yet, then you might have died before you're done. And then we have not even talked about some products that contained boards that are unlikely ever to be reprinted (Operation Special anyone?).

Over the years, the system has become so massive, that the 'by part' approach seems to be evermore the better. Be it Chapter H, boards, certain countersheets (nationalities), etc.

von Marwitz

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In some minor way this is starting to sound like a CH business model.
"Lets reprint a module with 'update scenarios' and add something for an addition and sell it again."
In fact... with the number of maps now in existence, I personally would be just as happy with "just counters and scenarios" in one ziplock package.
Or if you must have maps, just switch over to historical maps, then we would not have to worry about making maps fit the situation.
Steve knows which button to push to invoke me.

CH business model?

Which part of CdG2 is that?

The quality part?

The non-deception part?

The value-added part?

In past reprints, we have been very careful to not REQUIRE players to acquire the reprint.

We tried to make each v2 attractive enough for players to WANT to get it, and most players did.

We have followed a somewhat similar, albeit slightly different, path here.

One does not NEED the new Vichy French and new Free French counters to play the CdG scenarios.

From a system point of view, if one already has CdG, he does not NEED to acquire CdG2 unless he WANTS to have those counters or WANTS to have the Dinant HASL.

Once we realized that Dinant and CdG2 would be coming out around the same time (which made sense), we have consistently stated, over a number of years, that Dinant and CdG2 would be a joint package. The combination made sense on a number of levels, both on the production side and the consumption side. We know that some players will prefer that they were separate, but we hope that the majority would approve.

We don’t want to lose any sales, and we surely don’t want to alienate any players. But we also know we can’t please all the people all the time, and that our business decisions will not all be perfect.

But I reject any CH business model analogies.

As to overlays, we expect the Overlay Pack to go on preorder shortly, and we expect the vast majority of players will want that for a number of reasons. Making players pay for overlays in CdG2 that they were going to re-acquire shortly in the Overlay Pack seemed like a bad idea.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Steve knows which button to push to invoke me.

CH business model?

Which part of CdG2 is that?

The quality part?

The non-deception part?

The value-added part?

In past reprints, we have been very careful to not REQUIRE players to acquire the reprint.

We tried to make each v2 attractive enough for players to WANT to get it, and most players did.

We have followed a somewhat similar, albeit slightly different, path here.

One does not NEED the new Vichy French and new Free French counters to play the CdG scenarios.

From a system point of view, if one already has CdG, he does not NEED to acquire CdG2 unless he WANTS to have those counters or WANTS to have the Dinant HASL.

Once we realized that Dinant and CdG2 would be coming out around the same time (which made sense), we have consistently stated, over a number of years, that Dinant and CdG2 would be a joint package. The combination made sense on a number of levels, both on the production side and the consumption side. We know that some players will prefer that they were separate, but we hope that the majority would approve.

We don’t want to lose any sales, and we surely don’t want to alienate any players. But we also know we can’t please all the people all the time, and that our business decisions will not all be perfect.

But I reject any CH business model analogies.

As to overlays, we expect the Overlay Pack to go on preorder shortly, and we expect the vast majority of players will want that for a number of reasons. Making players pay for overlays in CdG2 that they were going to re-acquire shortly in the Overlay Pack seemed like a bad idea.
I for one am looking forward to CdGv2 - inclusive of Dinant. Were both a separate product, I would have bought both anyway. I like the extra Vichy counters. I have heard good things from playtesters about Dinant. I will happily add the new better counters to my kit (which will give me an excuse to get out my counter-clipper that has been left idle as I was basically done with what I need since October).

Add one to your list of happy customers (though by retailer due to customs/postage considerations).

I'll also buy the overlay bundle despite being in the happy position not to be missing any.
But I will like it as a safeguard vs. possible 'catastrophe' that will hopfully never happen.

Cheers,
von Marwitz

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
This'll be the first core-reprint-I-already-have that I feel compelled to purchase. Mostly for the new stuff, but also b/c AH was a little stingy on the counter mix for some of the 5/8" vehicles/guns in the original. I like the looks of the Dinant map - is it wrong that within 10 seconds of perusing it I was thinking of where to site my French support weapons and where I'd plaster with OBA as the Germans? There's a lot of open country on that hill, I don't suppose we'll be allowed to kindle those grainfields...

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
There were no overlays included in Yanks 2nd Ed either. There are a few extras in Armies of Oblivion 2nd Ed though, which may be what you're thinking of.
Huh. I doubled-down on it because I was sure that I remembered them, but I think that you must be right and it was AoO2 I was thinking of. That, or I'm living in some sort of weird fantasy world where I just make up stuff as I go along. o_O

FMFCB

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llCanada
I think this stems from MMP's decision to incorporate the Dinant HASL in the module, and the intent to release an overlay bundle (shortly). Given the complaints on this thread regarding the current price point, I agree that MMP missed the Sturmboot on this. But imagine the outcry if price of the module was 10% higher than it currently is because the overlays had been included (along with DInant).
There was only 1 sheet of overlays in original CdG so, I hope that would not increase the price much. The overlays would be much more useful than the 2 boards included in the new one for me.
Dave

ineation

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
We are speaking of one single overlay sheet right? Maybe you could exceptionally put the CdGV1 overlay sheet as a pdf in the download section of your site? It might be a good compromise.