Critical Hits and the Tie Die System.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Today we continued our campaign game. More snake-eyes and boxcars were rolled than sevens. Both critical hits were on the ATT. The first was from ordnance and the second was from an fighter bomber. The ordnance hit from a 105 howitzer struck two units in a foxhole. Uncle Bill rolled two fives on the tie die roll. Don remembered from a an earlier Forum thread that each critical hit on a tie die hit was resolved separately. Which is how we determined the results. Were we correct? The second event was a critical hit snake-eyes on the ATT by a fighter bomber, striking four units in the wooden factory. A Rumanian engineer with a FT was killed by the critical hit of 24 minus two and the other three units took morale checks. (I was not there for the various rolls, having to leave for the bus.) I assume that the TEM would be added for a 12 plus 2 attacks for this bomb ATT attack. Uncle Bill rolled wildly again 2, 10, and 11. Did we do this correctly? Tim

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Today we continued our campaign game. More snake-eyes and boxcars were rolled than sevens. Both critical hits were on the ATT. The first was from ordnance and the second was from an fighter bomber. The ordnance hit from a 105 howitzer struck two units in a foxhole. Uncle Bill rolled two fives on the tie die roll. Don remembered from a an earlier Forum thread that each critical hit on a tie die hit was resolved separately. Which is how we determined the results. Were we correct?
No. You use a single effects DR to determine the result for all units, both CH and non-CH. You might get different final results DRs (e.g. one possessed a FT and the other did not, or one was in a foxhole and another not), but there is only one Original DR.

The second event was a critical hit snake-eyes on the ATT by a fighter bomber, striking four units in the wooden factory. A Rumanian engineer with a FT was killed by the critical hit of 24 minus two and the other three units took morale checks. (I was not there for the various rolls, having to leave for the bus.) I assume that the TEM would be added for a 12 plus 2 attacks for this bomb ATT attack. Uncle Bill rolled wildly again 2, 10, and 11. Did we do this correctly?
Yes. The TEM would apply on the effects DR for area target type. But the attack against the FT unit probably should have been twenty-four down three, down two for (reversed) wooden building TEM and down one for FT (I assume the +2 wooden building TEM applied; that might not be true if the factory was roofless). Since the result was a KIA result already, the unit would just be deader.

JR

Last edited:

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Today we continued our campaign game. More snake-eyes and boxcars were rolled than sevens. Both critical hits were on the ATT. The first was from ordnance and the second was from an fighter bomber. The ordnance hit from a 105 howitzer struck two units in a foxhole. Uncle Bill rolled two fives on the tie die roll. Don remembered from a an earlier Forum thread that each critical hit on a tie die hit was resolved separately. Which is how we determined the results. Were we correct? The second event was a critical hit snake-eyes on the ATT by a fighter bomber, striking four units in the wooden factory. A Rumanian engineer with a FT was killed by the critical hit of 24 minus two and the other three units took morale checks. (I was not there for the various rolls, having to leave for the bus.) I assume that the TEM would be added for a 12 plus 2 attacks for this bomb ATT attack. Uncle Bill rolled wildly again 2, 10, and 11. Did we do this correctly? Tim
Probably a good idea to use the terminology of the rulebook: "random selection" rather than tie die system, makes it easier for others to parse.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Aaron, okay. It's the phrase that I have always used. Old habits die hard. Tim

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
O divine master grant that I may
not so much seek to be consoled as to console
to be understood as to understand
To be loved as to love

However, being understood is pretty good too.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I am old enough to remember when Tie Dye t-shirts came into fashion.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Tye die is still quite the rage in some enclaves of the Pacific Northwest.
Next you will be telling me that bell bottom trousers, frilly shirts and cravats are still in fashion! Oh gods, the end of the world is nigh and disco is about to make a come back, the horror, oh the horror.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is the phrase that we have always used. I can blame Steve. He would be likely be better at writing my questions. Don is also included among those critical of my prose. If only he had the courage to post. Tim

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
Next you will be telling me that bell bottom trousers, frilly shirts and cravats are still in fashion! Oh gods, the end of the world is nigh and disco is about to make a come back, the horror, oh the horror.