Critical Hit Forum section kaput Surprised it took this long.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I would not mix up ethical production problems with the feeling that one has been swindled.
Equating those two concepts is a way to make all things equal and finally erasing any possibility of moral judgement - which could precisely be the objective of the argument, of course.

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Back in the 90's I designed a scenario based on the initial British invasion of Madagascar, Operation Ironwood (if I remember correctly) The scenario took place on D-Day or D+1 , again its ben a long time and I don't know where the research and markup ,etc. etc. are now, BUT.... I submitted it to CH. Never heard from them and with in a year I saw a CH scenario that was similar to mine,
I have not been a CH supporter since then.

P.S. For those who don't know; D-Day is the name given to the day that an Seabourn invasion takes place, It has come to be popularly associated with June 6, 1944. After all I bereave that we could all agree that it is one of the top three most important days in known human history, But that's for another thread.

Futbol

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What did me in for CH was their blatant copying of Across the Aller. Nevermind the designer walked away from ASL but to repackage his wonderful scenarios just struck me as borderline ethical and potentially a copyright issue as well. Some of thier maps and products were decent but the common complaint I heard was that Ray just started going for the money rather than quality and what a shame. Quality control (counter sheets) board layouts (the panels!! Nooo) and scenario research all took a dive. And...lest we forget CH's attempt to copy original ASL boards (with a twist) was another red flag Anyway I'm highly against ordering anything else,

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I got all their Berlin stuff as well as the desert stuff. Berlin’ll be good and easy to make a small SASL campaign (day by day).

Yes it is wonky. The scenarios as they exist are not to be taken too seriously as an competitive exercise like tournament scenarios but tbh if you’re not in an actual tournament then you’re probably not really going to care. The French and what’s left of Germans are going to lose no matter what, but who cares? You’re playing the HASL to use the wacky HJ and Gestapo commissar rules, wacky end of war weapons, and Red Banner units.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Have any CH scenarios ever been used in Tournaments?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Of course they have.

It has been mentioned many times, that numerous early scenario packs were very good and had some excellent fare in them, which was well suited for tournament play.

I have played numerous scenarios published by CH in tournaments of those old packs which were great fun. And I say this although you can count me among the critics of current CH policies.

Notably, in these days, a CH scenario in a tournament is a rather rare occurrence. Friendly Fire, BFP, LFT and others have taken their place and there is a general abundance of good new stuff, so that old scenarios seldom feature any more.

von Marwitz

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
And...lest we forget CH's attempt to copy original ASL boards (with a twist) was another red flag Anyway I'm highly against ordering anything else,
I am well aware of CH's shady practices but must admit I never heard of this one. I am just curious what was it? Any pics anywhere?

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Over the years many of them have been used at GRENADIER, primary from the CH Magazines, various scenario packs and the Hero Pax... everything after the last ones mentioned is more or less trash.
I remember the last time we had a CH scenario in the mix, it was" CH97 Final Crisis At Blackpool" by Joe Leoce, that saw a lot of playings and was given highest reputations.

edit: Also i remember times, late 90´s to mid 00 years, were CH scenarios had the biggest pool to chose from (beside the official AH/ MMP scenarios)...

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
In the early years, good designers such as Dave Lamb or Scott Holst, were published by CH.
So you could find good scenarios, with reasonable playtesting in the backstage.
When those good designers stopped working with CH, things steadily deteriorated.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I remember the last time we had a CH scenario in the mix, it was" CH97 Final Crisis At Blackpool" by Joe Leoce, that saw a lot of playings and was given highest reputations.
I still remember that one - it is a superb scenario IMHO.
I was even able to dig up my AAR here.

von Marwitz