Critical Hit at Point Blank Range

turlusiflu

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
As per C3.7, "A CH also occurs while using the Infantry Target Type whenever the Final TH DR is < half the Modified TH#".
As per C3.3, "Any Gun or Ammo modifications (C4) are added directly to the Basic TH# to achieve a Modified TH#".
As per C4, Point Blank Range is a DRM to the TH, not a modification to the TH#.

So, if I shot a Gun to infantry ant range 1, the TH# is still 8 (not 10) and the CH# should be 3. Am I right?

What is confusing me is that in the Starter Kit TH tables they say that at range 1 the TH# is 10 and the CH# is 5. I know, ASLSK is not full ASL, but they mostly simplify the rules, not change them. If it is not a mistake in ASLSK, I don't understand why they haven't left the same rule.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In ASL there's a range TH DRM of -1 (within two hexes) or -2 (adjacent) [C6 Target Based TH modifier Case L] which would make the TH# 10 & CH# 5 repectively for ASLSK which computes this automatically for you.

turlusiflu

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Yes, but case L (and all Cases) is a DRM to get the Final TH, it does not modify the Modified TH#.

EDIT. I see my mistake, I had misunderstood the concept of Final DR. Thanks anyway

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
ASLSK pre-computes the DRs, and as it does so it converts everything to raw die rolls. In ASL as you say the modified TH# remains an 8 when there are TH DRM. A TH DRM of -2 (point blank range or armor leader or FFMO/FFNAM or whatever) applied to a raw DR ("original" DR in the technical ASL parlance) of 10 will become a final DR of 8, i.e. a hit, and a raw DR of 5 will become a final DR of 3, i.e. a critical hit.

Note that in many cases you can switch back and forth between changing the number for a result and applying DRM to the DR with no bad effects. The Infantry Target Type is *not* one of those cases. You should always apply the DRM to the DR and not pretend it applies to change the TH number. There is at least one other place where this is true (burning wrecks in CC), so be careful before you start computing the other way.

JR