The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
B 20.91 compares units in crest status with entrenched ones this way :
Infantry in Crest status are considered entrenched one level higher than the Depression against all Direct fire attacks across any of the front three hexsides of that Depression hex (as identified by placement of the Crest counter) which are not crossed by a Depression hexside.
I cannot find any other link between both situations, especially about the LOS restrictions through wall/hedge as per B9.21. This point of rule only seems to speak of entrenchment defense values against Direct Fire...
This opens the question about LOS through the non-crest hexsides, etc.:confused:
I am sure I missed the appropriate rule reference that would help me see clearly.
Up to now, I allways applied LOS through walls by crest units as if they were entrenched...

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
So, as my question is not answered, I have the choice :
- To think it was so easy to answer that nobody took the time and effort to lend me a hand.:rolleyes:
- To believe the rules don't clearly equate Crest status units with entrenched ones in the case of LOS evaluation...:crosseye:

I asked the question after having looked at many places in the rules and not finding an adequate answer (the question was asked on the French forum) ; just in case somebody thought I just was lazy not to scan the rules...:smoke:

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
I meant to answer it, but wasn't sure after the first look, and never got around to take a closer look at it.

To me it looks like the Crest entrenchment doesn't mean anything but TEM vs Direct Fire, thus the unit can see beyond its wall/hedge hexsides. Note that the unit can clearly claim WA (see B9.62 example), something which indicates that the Crest status is not similar to being beneath an entrenchment counter.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Thanks, Ole!
That is interesting.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Robin said:
This opens the question about LOS through the non-crest hexsides, etc.:confused:
I am sure I missed the appropriate rule reference that would help me see clearly.
Up to now, I allways applied LOS through walls by crest units as if they were entrenched...

One way to look at the rule you quoted, though I'm not claiming this is the correct way to look at it, is:

"Infantry in Crest status are considered entrenched one level higher than the Depression against all Direct fire attacks across any of the front three hexsides of that Depression hex ..."

So, assuming a direct fire attack against one of the non-crest hexsides, the unit would not be considered "one level higher," correct? And, if so, it would be considered "IN" the depression. Of course, this is incorrect as there is a rule somewhere that says Fire from crest units is halved (area fire) for shots outside of the covered hexsides, or something to that effect.

But, the point is, it makes sense if one reads just the quoted rule literally, without some other supporting, more generalized, rule' context about LOS + depressions + crest-status.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does B20.92 answer the question:

20.92 TEM: The entrenchment benefits (27.3) of Crest status do not apply to indirect Fire or OVR, or to Direct Fire from any position that has a LOS (A6.3) INTO the Depression hex, or to fire at the Crest target which is not traced through one of the protective Crest hexsides. All fire traced INTO a Depression hex affects units both IN the Depression and units in Crest status in the same hex with the same DR. However, same level, non-adjacent Direct Fire which is valid against Crest status Infantry does not affect units IN that Depression.
???

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
See also the example at B9.62.

I think that those two sections answer a lot of the questions. What remains after looking there is up to you to identify!!!

:surprise: